clingy baby now gone back to work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blush09

Reaction score
would appreciate any advice how best to deal with clingy baby .. i have just returned to my pt time job after a years maternity and my 1 yr old is stuck to me like a limpet, wont let me put him down, cries when i go out of the room .. might be a coincidence and nothing to do with me going back to work - do babies get all insecure around this age perhaps? dont know what to do, have to creep out the house when i have appts in the evening, my husband says he does appear to be looking for me :(

Hi, its is normal especially if you have spent everyday with them. There was a thread on here a few months back about the same thing with some great advice on x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Search for calling all mummies and you should find it :) x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

It's completely normal from about 9 months for a baby to get separation anxiety, they do not have the understanding that mummy is coming back.....unfortunately it's also the age when many mummies go back to work.
It's best not to prolong the goodbye, a quick cuddle, kiss and "mummy will be back soon" and leave regardless of the tears. I know it sounds heartless but doing so they tend to calm down quicker and do learn that u will come back. Get the person caring for them to distract them with something fun to play with.
In my previous life I was a nursery nurse and I've seen so many parents who have been worried and distressed all day only to return and find baby has had a wonderful day and the have worried for nothing!

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Hi i have exactly the same problem and my health visitor told me to put toby in one room with some toys and say right mummys going now il be back in 5 mins then go and when you come back say hoooray mummys back and then start to leave for 10 mins ect and that makes your baby realize when you do go your going to come back and its definitely helping in my case xx

Sent from my X10i

thank you :D
dont feel so guilty going back to work now
will try that trick annie
doesnt help having issues with my husband pulling him out of his cot everytime he makes the slightest sound - im much more relaxed with him, but i think my husband is over protective as he was premature. having real conflict going on there but thats another story!

Oh my word were the same!!my little en wasnt breathing when he was born so i was like a control freak for first 2 month checking on him every 5 mins so really i think its my fault hes so clingy!xx

Sent from my X10i

Hi I went through the same recently & started the thread calling all mummies which had some great tips. My little one is 100% better now, he only gets clingy if he's a little under the weather. :)

It's best not to prolong the goodbye, a quick cuddle, kiss and "mummy will be back soon" and leave regardless of the tears. I know it sounds heartless but doing so they tend to calm down quicker and do learn that u will come back. Get the person caring for them to distract them with something fun to play with.

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

I was also a nursery nurse and completely agree.
I think you should say bye as opposed to slipping out but make it quick.

It will get better :hug:
Dont feel guilty for working, many of us dont have a choice and in the long run you are doing it for your child. xx

Latest posts

Back