Clippers and E-filing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Nails

Reaction score
My next step in my education programme is to get e-file training.

Ive been researching this and on several occasions I have either heard or seen the use of clippers to clip away lifted acrylic from the nail.

Is this standard practise when rebalancing using an efile? Or is this another NSS style:Scared:

Sorry if I seem ignorant but Im new to e-filing and was interested to hear peoples views.

thank you x

It's NSS practice and something you should never do. Even putting the points of clippers under the lifted material forces product, that is already adhered to the surface, off the plate which of course years up the surface of the natural nail. It's a no no.

In the first place your product should not be lifting as a regular thing but if you experience it on some clients, then remove it correctly and safely either by hand filing (as per the tutorial here on the site) or using the same principals with an efile.

Cheers Geeg

I thought as much I was really surprised to see it and hear it mentioned to be honest.

But I thought if you don't ask you don't learn do you!

Xxx

You were quite right to ask and as it was a good question, you are getting a heart from me! X

Oh bless I love a heart.

I can't wait to train in e filing just saving up for my file. Only for de-bulking everyone is going pink n White mad at the moment.

I want to do the de-bulking quicker so I can spend more time perfecting my smile lines.

They get better all the time but perfect practise and all.

Hope you are keeping well. Xxxx

Oh bless I love a heart.

I can't wait to train in e filing just saving up for my file. Only for de-bulking everyone is going pink n White mad at the moment.

I want to do the de-bulking quicker so I can spend more time perfecting my smile lines.

They get better all the time but perfect practise and all.

Hope you are keeping well. Xxxx

My phone will not let me give you a heart. I'm away from home just now bu will do it when I get home tomorrow.

I was just going to comment that EVERYONE always says, "I'm just going to use the drill for debulking!". Ha ha! You just wait lol ... You will use it for allot more things including removing even tiny bits of lifted material and you know why? Because in the hands of an expert it is faster and even mre gentle and easier to control than a hand file ... True! So become a gentle expert.

I use my KUPA efile for debulking, for removing any lifted or discoloured material and often for shortening the length if it is going to be faster than doing it by hand.

The things I never use it for are finishing or for cleaning under the free edge (big cause of Onycholysis).

When you get really happy and familiar with the file you will use it ALLOT!

My phone will not let me give you a heart. I'm away from home just now bu will do it when I get home tomorrow.

I was just going to comment that EVERYONE always says, "I'm just going to use the drill for debulking!". Ha ha! You just wait lol ... You will use it for allot more things including removing even tiny bits of lifted material and you know why? Because in the hands of an expert it is faster and even mre gentle and easier to control than a hand file ... True! So become a gentle expert.

I use my KUPA efile for debulking, for removing any lifted or discoloured material and often for shortening the length if it is going to be faster than doing it by hand.

The things I never use it for are finishing or for cleaning under the free edge (big cause of
Onycholysis).

When you get really happy and familiar with the file you will use it ALLOT!

Wow that's fantastic to know and refreshing that I can actually use it for a lot more.

My hand filing is really good now and I completely understand how to shape a nail properly.

But rebalances with the greatest respect are a pain. I want to learn more stuff and wasted time on filing I don't want to do.

God you say taking down length! I did a four week infill the other week it took me forever to

reduce the length of her nails, they were monsters! E file sounds like a little bit of heaven.
The thought of drilling under someone's natural nail turns my stomach. Lots of my clients have a slightly extended hypernichium no would definitely not be doing that.

Cheers Geeg I'm even more excited now. Xxx

Was talking about e files today in college, then a debate came about... Can they be used to blend tips!? I wouldnt have thought you could... Anyone care to settle it?

Sent from my GT-I5500 using SalonGeek

This is only a personal view but no I wouldn't.

Why? Because I use either CND velocity tips or pro impressions tips and both are so thin that they require very very little blending.

One slip and you could do damage. Now Geeg has masses of experience and may beg to differ with me. But from a complete newbie very shortly in e filing I would avoid doing that. Xxxx

Glad im not the only one who thinks it would be asking for disaster! Have heard alot of great feedback about pro impressions, the edge tips we have to use on clients in college are awful to blend!

I tend to sculpt more than tip but when I do tip I have a buffing attachment for my e-file that I LOVE to use to finish off the blending. I hand file most of the tip and once I'm almost blended I use the buffer bit to completely erase the line ( a job I find irritating to do with a hand file)

Was talking about e files today in college, then a debate came about... Can they be used to blend tips!? I wouldnt have thought you could... Anyone care to settle it?

Not unless you want to burn the nail bed and hyponychium. As Geeg said this would cause onycholysis or inverse pterygium easily....

Add to that, one slip and you could cut straight through the nail plate and into the bed... Nasty

K-nails, good thread and sensible to question. Heart from me ..

Allen has said it all here really.

No I would not use an e file to blend tips. There is such a fine point between blended and not blended enough, and one slip in your judgement and you would be through to the plate (using a buffing bit or not). The speed of rotation of the mandril is so fast that hand filing is a much safer option when reaching blending point without causing damage is so crucial.

Besides which, I can blend Velocity tips faster with a hand file they are so quick.

I agree with both Allen and Gigi NO blending of the tip on the naural nails.

Here (in Denmark) though I do have a lot of client with really flat nails where I find that formation tips are the way to go. Those tips have a large well and are a bit thicker, so I use my efile to carve out smileline and thin the tip before putting it on the nail. You can easily do this by hand, but I find it quicker with my e-file

I also use a sanding bit under the performancetips if I use the white ones, as I find it gives the tips a bit more grip, I know it is not needed, but I like the feeling at it takes me no time.

Not unless you want to burn the nail bed and hyponychium. As Geeg said this would cause onycholysis or inverse pterygium easily....

Add to that, one slip and you could cut straight through the nail plate and into the bed... Nasty

K-nails, good thread and sensible to question. Heart from me ..

Thank you very much. Like I said I came across this doing research and it bugged me so had to ask.

At least all us newbies know another piece of information which stops natural nail damage. X

Hey k nails
This is a great thread as I'm also thinking of getting an efile, so I've just got lots of great info reading through it, I too am finding the ging on rebalance so time consuming( I even have a sore arm from 3 in a row lol). I can't source a kupa file in good old northern Ireland so as I use NSI I was hoping to get on of theirs along with training any idea which one you are going for!

Well I've contacted Nubar and Kirsty Lund. I know Kupa is very good but I'm also looking into Promed 620 as I've been researching aboutnthem and they supply podiatrist everywhere and I doubt they would sell rubbish products to them.

But I will also speak to CND London as well to see what they are offering.

I did some acrylic training with Tigi who is a Nubar educator and she was awesome. Basically I will go wherever suits me then buy the appropriate drill.

Let me know how you get on Hun xxx

Well I contacted young nails who i didnt realise are quite near me and was really impressed, you have to book the training first ( included in the cost of the efile) you get your file that day along with 50 band things( lol can't remember the proper name) they are to train with first, then once you get through all 50 you can get a proper drill bit.
I really liked the sound of that as they explained the band things are less harsh and once you get through them all you are a lot more confident and have got used to the efile . Plus they are having a show in June which is vat free.. So excited can't wait.xx😃

You should buy an efile that is made for nail technicians. There are things to take into consideration. Weight of the hand piece, rpm's, adjustable speeds, carbide mandrils and local servicing and the rep of the company. kUPA have it all. The drill that NSI sell I believe is made by KUPA and last time I looked so is the drill from yn.

I have never used sanding bands ... They are harsh and tear up anything they get near. Carbide bits are the way to go as they gently 'shave' the surface in ultra thin layers and make far less heat, dust and heavier dust so that it tends to fall to the table instead of hanging around in your breathing zone.

I teach students with a carbide safety bit from the 'word go' and I believe it is a much better way to go ... Much more comfortable for clients and easier to manipulate for you.

Interesting thread! Cheers ladies! I am also thing of some e-file training.

I added KUPA on facebook recently - they have loads of tips/tutorials and they do a lot of competitions to win their kits :)

Latest posts

Back