Clipping hyponychium?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moushax37

Reaction score
On bitten nails, a thin layer of skin (hyponychium if I remember correctly) always seems to grow faster than the actual nail, or thin and damaged nails just keep breaking so that skin shows.
Is it safe to nip that over growth away so it is not sticking out beyond the nail itself or can this do potential damage? Just seems like it looks cleaner...

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using SalonGeek

You hyponychium is the protective barrier between main bed and nail plate, I wouldn't touch it at all.

As a previous horrific nail biter I can totally understand what you mean about the hyponychium growing faster than the nail and looking messy BUT with lots and lots of massaging of cuticle oils into my matrix a few times a day I was able to see growth in a week, within 3 wks the nasty looking hyponychium was covered and I actually had a free edge.

3 months on I now have long nail beds (didn't think that would happen) and mid length nails that I have to file back every week.

What I'm trying to say us leave the hyponychium and get massaging the matrix, don't get rid of the "problem" area but do as nature intended and cover it :)

It isnt safe at all to cut the Hyponychium as its there to protect your Nail Bed from infection, it prevents dirt and Bacteria from getting down behind your Nail Plate and causing infection setting in.
If you were cutting it you could also cause the onset of Onycholysis by allowing the Nail Plate to seperate from the Nail Bed.

You recommend your client comes for regular manicures and the use of Solar Oil which they need to drip on the Hyponychium and massage in 2/3 times a day.

My daughter has a very high Hyponychium and has been using Solar Oil for a few months along with wearing Shellac and the difference in her nails are amazing its now so much easier for me to file and maintain them.

This is still taught as standard for manicures at both my local colleges - is it ever going to be removed from the curriculum does anyone know?

Last edited:
This is still taught as standard for manicures at both my local colleges - is it ever going to be removed from the curriculum does anyone know?

I'm pleased to say its not happening at all colleges, ours advises to never cut, the advice I got from the college tutors is why my nails grew over my skanky chewed hyponychium. :)

You hyponychium is the protective barrier between main bed and nail plate, I wouldn't touch it at all.

As a previous horrific nail biter I can totally understand what you mean about the hyponychium growing faster than the nail and looking messy BUT with lots and lots of massaging of cuticle oils into my matrix a few times a day I was able to see growth in a week, within 3 wks the nasty looking hyponychium was covered and I actually had a free edge.

3 months on I now have long nail beds (didn't think that would happen) and mid length nails that I have to file back every week.

What I'm trying to say us leave the hyponychium and get massaging the matrix, don't get rid of the "problem" area but do as nature intended and cover it :)

Thanks for this. It gives me hope. LOl we need to start an intervention for us nail biters! :lick:

I used to have hyponichium on a couple of my fingernails when I wore nail enhancements. Anytime I came close to accidentally cutting them, it would hurt like crazy. I have a couple toes that way too. So, I can't even imagine that you would be able to cut them without it hurting tremdously and bleeding. Definitely not recommended!

Omg, i can't believe this is taught in colleges, the hyperniciun (apologies if spelt wrong !!) is a natural part of the nail and should be left alone. It can be painful for the client if nipped or buffed, I know, because I have accidentally done this to a client. It can bleed insome cases aswell.

I would definately leave it alone hun xx

Oh gosh yes I never touch it, but we were taught to push it down with a cuticle knife to neaten natural smile line if it was wonky, one girl broke the seal on a paying client and she was in agony!

I would never cut it on a client as if it gets infected, your insurance would not cover you. They do it in some countries and it looks good but it's not worth the risk, I do it to myself the odd time if I have excess skin but that's just a bad habit :)

Edit: Just realised you are from USA so the regulations will be different there, but I don't think it's worth the risk of infection.

Latest posts

Back