Clipping smile lines

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salpep

Reaction score
I read a post on here about the rebalances..ie: some like to file and redo smile lines, whilst other clip the smile line and re-sculpt.

Now Im just learning to sculpt and I struggle like mad doing the smile lines first, so I do the reverse method and works a treat. Now when it came to doing the rebalnce I was doing the file and redo smile lines, but today I tried the clip the tip off, plus a little of the pink and redo the smile and I have to say in all honesty it saves soooooo much time and I get such a nice smile. Now my question is this ok to do this everytime you have a rebalnce just clip the tip and redo with white?
Does anyone else do it this way and do you find it quicker?

:hug:

Hi hun sorry im not understanding right ? Could you explain what you mean by reverse method and clipping the tip? I personally remove as much of the white and pink as i can and re-apply and mostly they get nno which makes them thin and natural looking ...... my clients go 3 weeks usually and it takes me 1.15 - 1hr 30 xxx

i read the same post about just cutting off the sculpted free edge and reapplying the whole thing instead of filing and rebalancing. I cant see why it would do and harm to do it every time. Less filing, less stress on the natural nail i would think??

I'm sure it was geeg who posted the original message about it, might be best to pm her and ask her direct. She seems like a very helpful lady and she would certainly be able to give you the right answer.

If it saves time (which makes you more money), then that's the way to do it.

A VERY smart lady (and I do mean lady) does it this way, there are so many ways to do French fills and rebalance, the best way is the fastest way.

The fastest way is the smartest way and makes you more money per hour .... and that's what business is all about.

You have discovered this way, why doubt yourself and question now?

Good luck in making more money than others.

I never thought of doing that before. If the natural nail has grown up underneath would you just clip to the natural nail and resculpt from there or clip the natural nail back too..?
Just getting into sculpting myself too so not 100% sure!

Do you get many clients refusing to have rebals like this, I think it would be a neater and for me a quicker way of doing the french, although I havnt tried it as my clients are all nno and would scream blue murder if I suggested I do this ! I think even the tipped lady's would moan ! do you give a choice or just get out the clippers and get on, how do you explain the benefits of doing this way ?

Do you get many clients refusing to have rebals like this, I think it would be a neater and for me a quicker way of doing the french, although I havnt tried it as my clients are all nno and would scream blue murder if I suggested I do this ! I think even the tipped lady's would moan ! do you give a choice or just get out the clippers and get on, how do you explain the benefits of doing this way ?

I dont think we are talking about cutting off the clients natual nails (I hope not anyway!). I think this discussion is about clipping off a sculpted free edge and replacing it. I'm sure plenty of clients would be screaming if you chopped off their natural nails without consulting them first.

What we are talking about is doing a rebalance on a nail with a sculpted free edge and rather than filing down the free edge to rebalance, simply clipping it off and replacing it with a new sculpted free edge.

I dont think it would save you any time to clip of the tips either because you would then have to re-tip and apply product again.

I'm certainly no expert so i'm just giving my opinion as best i can on this.

Hope that makes sense!!

This is a method especially suited for custom blend customers. You clip off the entire free edge, including the natural nail that has grown beneath.

For some it's faster, and for clients, well many like to have the white colour under the free edge instead of the normal nail colour, which can be rather yellow. (that's how I explain anyway)

For me personally, I do it now, unless the client just don't wanna do it, or if they want really short nails, and therefore placing the smileline above normal isn't an option, if that makes sense.

As most people cannot grow their own nails, they will not be able to keep them long if enhancement is removed, so it doesn't matter if the free edge is removed anyway, another way to explain.

I dont think we are talking about cutting off the clients natual nails (I hope not anyway!). I think this discussion is about clipping off a sculpted free edge and replacing it. I'm sure plenty of clients would be screaming if you chopped off their natural nails without consulting them first.

What we are talking about is doing a rebalance on a nail with a sculpted free edge and rather than filing down the free edge to rebalance, simply clipping it off and replacing it with a new sculpted free edge.

I dont think it would save you any time to clip of the tips either because you would then have to re-tip and apply product again.

I'm certainly no expert so i'm just giving my opinion as best i can on this.

Hope that makes sense!!
LOL yes I know what we are talking about!:lol:

I have read on other posts that this method is used on a nno ? mabe I miss read it,
Obviously you wouldnt be able to do this then tip, I know its ment for sculpt !

If you are sculpting and the client is back every 2/3 weeks for rebal if you didnt clip back they would be onto a nno ? As I said I think its a really good method, I just didnt know if you gave the client hte choice of how you rebal of go ahead and start doing it this way ?

LOL yes I know what we are talking about!:lol:

I have read on other posts that this method is used on a nno ? mabe I miss read it,
Obviously you wouldnt be able to do this then tip, I know its ment for sculpt !

If you are sculpting and the client is back every 2/3 weeks for rebal if you didnt clip back they would be onto a nno ? As I said I think its a really good method, I just didnt know if you gave the client hte choice of how you rebal of go ahead and start doing it this way ?

Bugger! Sorry, i think i misunderstood your post (thats what i get for not concentrating properly)!!! The nice lady who answered before seemed to give good advice so i'll be following that! :)

Thanks for the replys

Yes the white (smile/zone 1) gets clipped off along with the natural nail, then you file the pink in zone 2 to reduce and create the new smile, so then once you place the form on your white butts up to it creating a lovely smile with no worries of a wobbly smile...hope that makes sence lol But this way you can change the tip colour also, so simple so easy. saves on all that filing. It doesn't work with tips unless you clip them off and sculpt a new tip! so glad I tried this way.
But don't get me wrong it doesn't solve all my problems, I still have to create a smile line when doing the rebalnce with tips, so still got to master that smile free hand lol

xx

Yes i do this when i'm using a custom blend. I clip the nail back to just below where i want the smile to to be then using ahand file i make surer all the edges are still tight and then sculpt a new free edge and voila.

Pretty sure the majority of you know way more than I do but I was under the impression you shouldn't clip an enhanced nail due to unnecessary stress or possible fractures/damage to the enhancement. ?? Could anyone clarify this for me please as if there is a quicker way I would like to try it if there is no risk of damage.

Thanks, Andrea x

I was also worried about this, but make sure that any lfted prduct is filed flushed again. I've had no problems doing it this way but i do understand where yu're coming from. I don't clip all the way back maybe 3/4 of the way and file the rest down.

I use this method alot when i'm doing glitter tips and clients are changing colours every rebalance.

Latest posts

Back