Close friend and co-worker doing unsatisfactory work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissMariaxox

Reaction score
About a year ago I helped my friend get a job at the shop I'm working at. At first she was doing really bad but we all figured it was because it was her first salon job and after some more training she would be fine. Things have gotten better but it's been a year and she is still doing some really bad hair cuts. Our boss is way too nice and honestly I feel like she doesn't really act like a boss, but we've all gotten complaints about my friends work and she doesn't seem to do anything about it. Some clients have even complained about her being rude. I feel responsible because I am the one who got her the job, but I don't know what I should do because I'm not the boss so I really have no authority. Does anybody have any advice for me? Thank you

I would let it go. Its not your problem. If your boss wanted to do something about it, she would. It sounds like you feel guilty over getting her the job and you feel like its your responsibility if she isnt doing well. Its not your responsibility. Let the burden drop off your shoulders and focus on your job and your clients and if your friend ever asks for advice, be there to give it....my opinion...

Hmm your boss needs to grow a pair!.i have had employees with this kind of attitude and no matter how much time & training you give them at the end if the day some just don't care :-(. It's obviously getting you down and as you work in the same salon it's your reputation too.i am sure an opportunity will present it's self for you to have a little chat / passing comment to the boss.your friends in the wrong job.

Thanks guys, I agree with both of you. I'm just going to focus on doing my job and having fun doing what I love, and if the time comes where I can do something like help my friend or have a serious conversation with my boss about it then I will, but until then it's not my problem. I really appreciate your answers. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sticky situation ?!

I've been in a situation like that before. It got to the point where I left the salon myself as my boss wouldn't do anything about the staff standard of hairdressing, I daren't go on holiday just incase I had to correct anyone else's work. If your boss isn't recognising or doing anything about the girls work, then it's her loss, and she will soon see clients not returning. I would say focus on your work because you will see you getting busier because of your friends constant mistakes. I know it's horrible to see your friend in trouble but if she knows her standard of hairdressing isn't high and she excepts that and isn't bothered. Then hairdressing is the wrong career. There's nothing worse then seeing slap dash hairdresser work in the salon. It bugs me! But don't let it worry you and I hope she can just do some more training, and it all sorts itself out.:)

It's not your fault if your friend has no flair for the job. However your boss should be holding an appraisal with every member of staff and this is where things must be ironed out. Burying their head in the sand is not going to work. Maybe your friend has training issues that need to be addressed in the form of a refresher course or a motivational course.

I keep an eye on every haircut that leaves my shop because that's my job as a salon owner and if I think that there has been less than perfect work then I'm not afraid to tell people. But the phrase I use is "if you want to perfect the haircut you just did, try this" and if I still see shoddy work then its a one to one chat.

Latest posts

Back