Closing my salon to set up from home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linds81

Reaction score
Hi sorry,new here so be kind!! I have had a salon for 11 years and with covid etc I cannot cope with rent etc,was seriously considering working from home myself part time from a log cabin/summerhouse. Realistically what size of space would I need? Basically 1 back wash basin and 1 work station and cupboard and trolleys the bare minimum! I had thought 8 feet by 8 feet, am I being ridiculous thinking this small?x

8 by 8 is a bit small. Do you know the measurements of your old place? Don’t forget that you’ll need to be Covid secure so allow a bit extra otherwise it will feel too small to be safe.

you need to measure very carefully the size of everything that you’ll have in your salon and create a life size model using cardboard boxes and bits of furniture. Do it in the corner of a room so that you have two proper walls and use string at different heights to mock up the other two walls. Remember to allow for a 3ft door to swing open. Make sure that you have someone come into your imaginary studio wearing a coat and carrying some bags.and a brolly.

have a look at the log cabin threads see what other people have gone for.

You might want to look at converted shipping containers or portacabins. Rather than build too small buy something second hand to try.

If you're on Facebook, there's a page called "beautiful sheds" if you have a look at that there's 1ks of people using cabins etc for hair and beauty. All shapes and sizes.
It's nice to see what others have done with such little space or even such big spaces.

I work for an insurance broker and I’d definitely recommend trying to stay away from a wooden construction. It’d be hard for you to find insurance for it. A lot of our clients have converted garages into a salon so it has its own separate entrance or have converted a room in the house.

Good point Cookiedog12. It’s a massive fire risk.

I have a bit of a horror of fire. My parents house burnt down when I was 21, the whole family were devastated - and their next door neighbours who became homeless as well. Fire is devastating. You lose precious mementoes that can never be replaced and these trigger memories. My mother can hardly remember any of my childhood, it’s as though that burnt to bits as well.

Good point Cookiedog12. It’s a massive fire risk.

I have a bit of a horror of fire. My parents house burnt down when I was 21, the whole family were devastated - and their next door neighbours who became homeless as well. Fire is devastating. You lose precious mementoes that can never be replaced and these trigger memories. My mother can hardly remember any of my childhood, it’s as though that burnt to bits as well.
Fire is a huge risk but it’d also be the potential water damage that could also be a risk. If it’s all wood, as most people will know, over time water starts to penetrate and can damage valuable pieces of equipment & furniture

Oh thank you so much for all your replies! I measured out 8x8 in my kitchen and it's a bit impractical for all I would need to fit in! I'm going to look at my finances,shouldn't take long 😄,an see what I can afford. If I can't do it right and still look professional theres no point !! Thanks again

Oh thank you so much for all your replies! I measured out 8x8 in my kitchen and it's a bit impractical for all I would need to fit in! I'm going to look at my finances,shouldn't take long 😄,an see what I can afford. If I can't do it right and still look professional theres no point !! Thanks again
Not sure if this is an option for you but just putting it out there just incase you don't know about it. Some companies do finance - It's an option I looked at myself. With some you're able to pay off as much as you can afford as a deposit and then spread the rest over monthly payments - which you can put up or down.

Hi sorry,new here so be kind!! I have had a salon for 11 years and with covid etc I cannot cope with rent etc,was seriously considering working from home myself part time from a log cabin/summerhouse. Realistically what size of space would I need? Basically 1 back wash basin and 1 work station and cupboard and trolleys the bare minimum! I had thought 8 feet by 8 feet, am I being ridiculous thinking this small?x
You our state board has a list of itmes needed and minimum square footage .

I had a small conservatory built onto the back of my house, my clients use the side gate, and it’s tucked behind my utility room where I mix colour and store tints and the toilet is assessable from this room without going into the main house, It’s about 10ft by 7ft. The full length mirrors I made with hidden shelves behind for products, I have two styling stations with a floor cupboard between, my chair have backs that move back so I use the same chair at the back wash this saved the most space as backwashes with fix chairs are very bulky. They were quite expensive but worth every penny. I have an air conditioning system which blows warm air in the winter and cold in the summer so a perfect temperature all round. It has worked out perfectly for my clients and myself as I can go to them when the unexpected happens. Occasionally my daughter will do a client and it definitely to small for two people. When I hang up my scissors and retire it will be an asset on the house. You should be able to claim most of it back on expenses from your tax. I have never looked back love every minute as it’s like seeing old friends everyday, the perfect job.

I had a small conservatory built onto the back of my house, my clients use the side gate, and it’s tucked behind my utility room where I mix colour and store tints and the toilet is assessable from this room without going into the main house, It’s about 10ft by 7ft. The full length mirrors I made with hidden shelves behind for products, I have two styling stations with a floor cupboard between, my chair have backs that move back so I use the same chair at the back wash this saved the most space as backwashes with fix chairs are very bulky. They were quite expensive but worth every penny. I have an air conditioning system which blows warm air in the winter and cold in the summer so a perfect temperature all round. It has worked out perfectly for my clients and myself as I can go to them when the unexpected happens. Occasionally my daughter will do a client and it definitely to small for two people. When I hang up my scissors and retire it will be an asset on the house. You should be able to claim most of it back on expenses from your tax. I have never looked back love every minute as it’s like seeing old friends everyday, the perfect job.
Sounds lovely! And really well thought out too.

Latest posts

Back