Closure of salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph1212

Reaction score
Looking for help please and some advice I have a salon that I have had for 6 years now, I loved it but not so much now, I'm pregnant and due very soon with me doing beauty I doubt I'll get back before the baby arrives, I have cried and cried about being so unhappy with the salon and in 2 minds wither to close it and work from a cabin at home I don't live far from the salon so clients don't have far to travel. I have hairdressers who rent chairs but their rent dosnt cover mine and won't cover it while I'm off on maternity, I got the grant but that has only helped with bills while I'm off due to covid. Im just constaly stressed about the place and really just want to enjoy my family without having to Worry about covering the cost, has anyone ever been in this position and is doing well working from their garden.

Xx

Looking for help please and some advice I have a salon that I have had for 6 years now, I loved it but not so much now, I'm pregnant and due very soon with me doing beauty I doubt I'll get back before the baby arrives, I have cried and cried about being so unhappy with the salon and in 2 minds wither to close it and work from a cabin at home I don't live far from the salon so clients don't have far to travel. I have hairdressers who rent chairs but their rent dosnt cover mine and won't cover it while I'm off on maternity, I got the grant but that has only helped with bills while I'm off due to covid. Im just constaly stressed about the place and really just want to enjoy my family without having to Worry about covering the cost, has anyone ever been in this position and is doing well working from their garden.

Xx

Hi Steph,

I'm in the same boat at the moment (minus being pregnant!) and have spent lockdown worrying about how my salon will reopen. I won't go over it again as I've posted all about it on another thread on this business section. I decided after the May lockdown review that if we weren't allowed to reopen by July then I would call it a day so that has been my decision after yesterday's announcement for the beauty industry. Like yourself, I have spent a lot of my grant keeping up with the bills at the shop but after making my decision to close, I would like to use the remaining money to pimp out my spare room as my new treatment room :D
I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about how busy I will be after this new move but in the long run I feel like it will be a weight off my shoulders. I would like to hear what happens in the future for you, whatever way you decide to go :)

Thanks for your reply love, it makes things a lot easier when someone is actually in the same boat. I just keep thinking of all the work that I've done to the place I've spent thousands but it's sometimes better to leave things behind I'll keep you updated on my decision hopefully I've made my mind up by the end of the week xxx

Hi I closed a salon last year as it was making me miserable. I dreaded going into my shop. Beauty wasn’t for me anymore. I think your garden idea is great. Cabin?
I would say do what’s right for you, I stressed over telling clients and what they would think as I was closing down for good.
I would love to go to someone’s garden for a treatment, it’s a bit different to the Norma salon good luck x

Hi I closed a salon last year as it was making me miserable. I dreaded going into my shop. Beauty wasn’t for me anymore. I think your garden idea is great. Cabin?
I would say do what’s right for you, I stressed over telling clients and what they would think as I was closing down for good.
I would love to go to someone’s garden for a treatment, it’s a bit different to the Norma salon good luck x
Thanks so much, I think I'm just worried about letting people down especially the girls who rent hairdressing chairs, but I need to do what's best for me and my family. Alot of clients enjoy when I'm in the salon myself the days the hairdressers are not working so they would get that luxury all of the time if I was working from home. That's what I keep telling myself xxx

Yes definitely as it will be more peaceful.
if the staff still want to stay then they could take on the lease themselves. Think about yourself and your family first

So I have contacted my landlord and I have still 4 years left of my contract I will need to sublet it untill contract finishes. I feel like running away xxx

There’s usually a break clause in most commercial leases.
Contact a solicitor and ask them to examine the contract for you.

There’s usually a break clause in most commercial leases.
Contact a solicitor and ask them to examine the contract for you.
That's exactly what I'm going to do I also have someone willing to take the lease over but won't allow it unless I sublet it which is strange x

The problem with subletting is that you still retain responsibility so if they scarper or cause damage, you’re liable.

That's what I'm afraid of but the girl that's interested I do no personally and I do trust her would just rather that the landlord just let me settle what I owe for rent just now and let her take on a new lease with him xxx

Hi Steph do you have a copy of your contract? Check what it says about how long your lease is for ;) maybe get advice from a solicitor as due to Covid it’s a different world we will be living in. Sure others on here can offer some great advice.
X

it’s a horrible situation, it’s unusual to have such a long lease.

the reality is that you’re going to have to pay the rent, but you can negotiate. Ask your landlord if you can reduce your rent. Options include a rent holiday or reduced rent for a period and then paying more later on. You can ask if the landlord will take a smaller rent plus a turnover percentage. Ultimately, if you fail, then he can sue you, but he might not get anything. If you’re facing ruin, you might have a strong position to negotiate.

Realistically, although it’s awful to have no income for the best part of 4 months, it’s not too bad over a 5/6 year lease. A solicitor will run through your options quite quickly.

Sub letting sounds like a really good option. Of course it’s risky, but with a baby on the way it will give you peace of mind during your maternity leave. If it doesn’t work out, you’ve bought yourself some time.

I took over premises from a failing salon owner and I kept her as a tenant 2 days a week for a year. It worked out really well for both of us. She ended up making almost as much in 2 days as she’d previously made in 5 and her overheads and stress went down. I had help with the bills and I was able to attract in a new client base. Within 2 years I’d increased the turnover by 50%.

Latest posts

Back