CND Formation Tips discontinued?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

florence2004

Reaction score
My Supplier tells me that CND have discontinued formation tips, certainly in the clear range, is this correct? The E-mail from their distributor was very vague and just indicated that they don't have them, no explanation no ETA. Can anyone advise?

Why not contact CND direct?

Why not contact CND direct?

Because honestly Geeg CND are a lot of hard work, besides being in the US and costing me a long distance phone call, they takes weeks to get back with an answer! Besides, this is really information that my supplier should be providing me with, I shouldn't have to be doing the work for them. I just though I'd ask on here if anyone knew as a quick result!

Honestly the geeks in England don't know how lucky they are having Sweet Squared, we'd kill to have a good distributor here in Canada that has education and answers!

That is a shame. Thank you for the compliment., x

CND Formation Tips in Clear have been discontinued yes. The reason is that Formation Tips are for challenged nails (ski-jump, bitten, very flat, misshapen, etc) and those nails that are in need of complete transformation are best catered for with Liquid & Powder rather than Gel, and with Liquid & Powder we have Formation Tips in natural available.

CND Formation Tips in Clear have been discontinued yes. The reason is that Formation Tips are for challenged nails (ski-jump, bitten, very flat, misshapen, etc) and those nails that are in need of complete transformation are best catered for with Liquid & Powder rather than Gel, and with Liquid & Powder we have Formation Tips in natural available.

Thanks Wee Fee for the clarification, that sucks for me as I find the formation tips fit much better on a nail biter, I really struggle with the velocity tips for some reason. Unfortunately liquid and powder is in the minority here in Calgary and has got such a bad rep from the NSS that most people will only have gel hence the need for clear. Looks like I will have to move to another brand to find what I need which breaks up my system!

Because honestly Geeg CND are a lot of hard work, besides being in the US and costing me a long distance phone call, they takes weeks to get back with an answer! Besides, this is really information that my supplier should be providing me with, I shouldn't have to be doing the work for them. I just though I'd ask on here if anyone knew as a quick result!

Honestly the geeks in England don't know how lucky they are having Sweet Squared, we'd kill to have a good distributor here in Canada that has education and answers!

Hello! There is an amazing distributor in Canada that carries CND as one of it's main lines. It is called Purple Beauty Supplies and they are in Edmonton, AB. I would definitely recommend giving them a call and shipping is very reasonable if you want to order their products. They still have some formation tips but I know that they always have a lot more of the velocity tips. They have been able to answer all of my questions and know their stuff!

Thanks Wee Fee for the clarification, that sucks for me as I find the formation tips fit much better on a nail biter, I really struggle with the velocity tips for some reason. Unfortunately liquid and powder is in the minority here in Calgary and has got such a bad rep from the NSS that most people will only have gel hence the need for clear. Looks like I will have to move to another brand to find what I need which breaks up my system!

Me again! Purple Beauty Supplies also has a store in Calgary!

You can use a clear gel or clear pink over the normal formation tips and use your paint on white for the free edge without breaking any systems. It is a myth that you only can use clear tips with gel.

Opaque coloured gels need clear tips for full cure if you are not sculpting, , but if you are using normal cover gels then you can use normal tips.

It is a myth that you only can use clear tips with gel.

So can we use white tips with gel?
I thought it wasnt recommended to use white/natural tips due to gel not curing 100%, or is that just with brisa lite its not recommended?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

It is a myth that you only can use clear tips with gel.

So can we use white tips with gel?
I thought it wasnt recommended to use white/natural tips due to gel not curing 100%, or is that just with brisa lite its not recommended?

Of course you can use white tips with clear gel over the top. It will cure perfectly because IT (the gel) is clear! You must buff your white tip first for a good 'key' onto the tip. And you can do the same with Brisa Lite Removable Sculpting gel.

It is not recommended to put opaque gels over an opaque tip; this is the difference.

Of course you can use white tips with clear gel over the top. It will cure perfectly because IT (the gel) is clear! You must buff your white tip first for a good 'key' onto the tip. And you can do the same with Brisa Lite Removable Sculpting gel.

It is not recommended to put opaque gels over an opaque tip; this is the difference.

Thank you so much geeg. All this time I thought it wasnt ok to put gel on white tips!

Thank you so much geeg. All this time I thought it wasnt ok to put gel on white tips!

You will have been taught not to use white tips with gel, that is what we teach at CND and this remains the recommendation.
There are many professionals who get a good result using the method geeg explains above. Give it a go, if you experience any problems you can always come back to the method that was recommended by the manufacturer.

Thanks to everyone for the help! Geeg I will try your method and see how I go as I would rather not break the system!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Me again! Purple Beauty Supplies also has a store in Calgary!

Purple is the supplier I was talking about that has told me they don't have any!

You will have been taught not to use white tips with gel, that is what we teach at CND and this remains the recommendation.
There are many professionals who get a good result using the method geeg explains above. Give it a go, if you experience any problems you can always come back to the method that was recommended by the manufacturer.

I think it is a matter of knowing your products and chemistry. The official CND line is really for safety. If people do not know their chemistry, they could potentially have under-curing if they piled product on over opaque tips. However if you realise that you need to use nice thin layers to build your clear gels over opaque tips then I have it on authority from speaking to the chemists at CND that you can use clear gels over opaque tips. Without under curing.

CND are quite rightly over cautious because if they were not, then many technicians would abuse the system and get into trouble. Be smart and know your stuff and use the products with knowledge and common sense.

Last edited:
Purple is the supplier I was talking about that has told me they don't have any!

I'd ask for a 360pk or 100pk before it's all gone!!! I think the Edmonton store still has some!

Latest posts

Back