CND lamp problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad it helped :) we've got to look after ourselves and our businesses! Good luck with the lamp xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I bought a different 36w lamp.

My husband is an electrician and thinks this whole idea that a cnd lamp is the only one that cures Shellac is ridiculous. We've had many arguments about this but I've given in, guess it can't be true. Xx

I bought a different 36w lamp.

My husband is an electrician and thinks this whole idea that a cnd lamp is the only one that cures Shellac is ridiculous. We've had many arguments about this but I've given in, guess it can't be true. Xx

White rose

My dad is an electrician too and in discussions he suggests that as I say light is light and a bulb is a bulb so long as the specifications are the same how can it be different ?

I've just had a very similar discussion with my other half about the lamp situation. He said "a 36w is a 36w lamp, having CND written on it doesn't make the spec any different from any other 36w lamp"

I would like to hold out for the CND one, but as others have said, it could be weeks. Anyone got any recommendations about other lamps that can be used? It's such a pain.

Doesn't the power/voltage and current supplied to the bulb matter.... think of a dimmer switch, the same light bulb gives off different amounts/intensity of light.

There is also the positioning of the bulbs and the reflective surfaces within the lamp which all contribute to the amount of light directed toward the nail.

ie it's the amount not type of light as long as we are talking about eqivalent uv cfl bulbs.

I think these are the things which affect the success of the cnd lamp. I'm pretty sure there are other lamps out there that can cure shellac, but I'm also certain there are some that don't (particularly with darker colours) I have experienced this first hand, and seen multiple examples of this on here and in real life.

The point is we do not have access to facilities to test which other lamps on the market offer equivalent uv output and can cure shellac....I suppose it is too much to ask that that CND step up and test some lamps in order that a safe alternative is found. The situation is really untenable., it has been ongoing for months now and although I sympathise with S2 as the supply chain is out of their hands the fact is there is nothing being done to help techs without lamps and minimal information released.

White rose

My dad is an electrician too and in discussions he suggests that as I say light is light and a bulb is a bulb so long as the specifications are the same how can it be different ?

My other half is an electrician and he looked into the cnd bulbs. He found the exact same bulbs, same codes etc from his supplier who actually found them and ordered the bulbs in so we could see them.

He said there is no way they can be different. They were the exact same bulb in my lamp but he paid £3 for each bulb and they are made by phillips.

He has spoken to many other electricians about the whole lamp issue and they have confirmed its the same bulb.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

My other half is an electrician and he looked into the cnd bulbs. He found the exact same bulbs, same coded bulb etc from his supplier who actually found them ordered the bulbs in. He said there is no way they can be different. They were the exact same bulb in my lamp but he paid £3 for each bulb.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Arrrrrh don't tell me that, I've just received a new CND set lol. I know there has to be a mark up and I wouldn't know where to start to source others but really? Guess the packaging, I throw away, is nice!!!!

Really need to decide which LED to go for.

Karaxxx

Did I not read somewhere that the lamps were expected on 10th Feb? Tomorrow? Or is this not happening?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Im starting to get slightly irritated by the lack of information & contact from Sweet Squared with this issue. I think the LEAST they could do is email all affected nail techs who are waiting so desperately for the new lamps with an update rather than just leave us guessing whats going on!!! I really just dont understand!? Love & respect is what they pride themselves on after all :(

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Doesn't the power/voltage and current supplied to the bulb matter.... think of a dimmer switch, the same light bulb gives off different amounts/intensity of light.

There is also the positioning of the bulbs and the reflective surfaces within the lamp which all contribute to the amount of light directed toward the nail.

ie it's the amount not type of light as long as we are talking about eqivalent uv cfl bulbs.

I think these are the things which affect the success of the cnd lamp. I'm pretty sure there are other lamps out there that can cure shellac, but I'm also certain there are some that don't (particularly with darker colours) I have experienced this first hand, and seen multiple examples of this on here and in real life.

The point is we do not have access to facilities to test which other lamps on the market offer equivalent uv output and can cure shellac....I suppose it is too much to ask that that CND step up and test some lamps in order that a safe alternative is found. The situation is really untenable., it has been ongoing for months now and although I sympathise with S2 as the supply chain is out of their hands the fact is there is nothing being done to help techs without lamps and minimal information released.
What matters is the wave length of the irradiation which in this case and every other is. 365 nm that is what is used to cure the gel, the position of the bulbs and reflective surfaces help but all the bulbs in a generic 36 watt lamp are in the same go figure !

Last edited:
What matters is the wave length of the irradiation which in this case and every other is. 365 nm that is what is used to cure the gel, the position of the bulbs and reflective surfaces help but all the bulbs in a generic 36 watt lamp are in the same go figure !

well a quick google image search will show that is not true. A lot of these lamps have two of the bulbs more at the sides (ie at right angles), and the distance between the hand and the nails is greater (in part as they do not have the tray insert that cnd one has) but I see what you are saying....

Finding a lamp with the same layout, the same bulbs and the same distance from the nail, along with adding a little extra curing time to cover any difference in the amount of light should do the job.... now which lamp meets that criteria....

I really wouldn't think that bulbs that are a few mm nearer or further away from the finger would make the slightest difference ! How would you know if a non brand doesn't cure correctly if it's not been tested ? It may well do but Everyone has to do as they think, and what they feel confident with.

I've used a non brand lamp for many years and had a good client base with absolutely no probs what so ever, even tho the companies I use suggest I use their lamps x

Last edited:
I really wouldn't think that bulbs that are a few mm nearer or further away from the finger would make the slightest difference ! How would you know if a non brand doesn't cure correctly

Maybe/maybe not? Before I was a nail tech the place where I got my nails shellaced used a cnd lamp, one day the manager had 'borrowed' the lamp for an event and left my usual therapist with a generic lamp. All seemed ok, but when it came to the final step and she wiped over the nails the whole lot virtually came away! So in that instance we definately knew the generic lamp had not cured! I have other real life examples and have also seen it on here many times. So what I'm not understanding is if all 36w lamps are the same how is that there are these examples of them definately not working?? (and as you say they could also be undercuring by a factor not detectable too)

Either type / amount of UV light is not the same or the architecture of the lamp does play a factor. If it's the latter then that is actually fantastic as those without lamps just need to find one as similar as they can to the CND set up.

I think its down to the quality and age of the lamp too.
Just cause one old cheap lamp didn't work doesn't mean all lamps that are not cnd don't work.

You are right, it's a nightmare I've been on the phone to S2 every day for months.

Last edited:
Iv too had the exact same convos with my hubby about the uv bulbs and the led bulbs! And like some of you iv argued cnds corner about output and positioning but iv got to say I'm sure he is right! Lol as a desperate measure for two people I know well, who knew about my lamp issue I borrowed my friends £10.00 lamp she uses for her own nails, it couldn't of looked more basic! But after 4 weeks both clients came back with no problems at all!! I wouldn't buy one for professional use, but just shows it doesn't have to be so Hi tec! I'm interested too to see if a led lamp becomes available. Are we all going to realise that we could of been using one of those all this time too! After all a led bulb is a led bulb and plenty of other companies use both just different cure times?!? There is a lot to be said about only being able to use a certain companies stuff, like paying over the odds for a named item! Crazy and I feel like we are all being taken for a ride! X

Iv too had the exact same convos with my hubby about the uv bulbs and the led bulbs! And like some of you iv argued cnds corner about output and positioning but iv got to say I'm sure he is right! Lol as a desperate measure for two people I know well, who knew about my lamp issue I borrowed my friends £10.00 lamp she uses for her own nails, it couldn't of looked more basic! But after 4 weeks both clients came back with no problems at all!! I wouldn't buy one for professional use, but just shows it doesn't have to be so Hi tec! I'm interested too to see if a led lamp becomes available. Are we all going to realise that we could of been using one of those all this time too! After all a led bulb is a led bulb and plenty of other companies use both just different cure times?!? There is a lot to be said about only being able to use a certain companies stuff, like paying over the odds for a named item! Crazy and I feel like we are all being taken for a ride! X

Exactly how I feel xx

My CND lamp is the original. It will be four years old in August! Apart from only getting 46 hours full curing from my bulbs, I haven't had an issue. I think common sense must prevail on this situation. As in another thread regarding 'lampgate' I think it was Geeg said, don't lose business but change to a 'generic' lamp, but let your clients know. As said too, CND designed their lamp to go hand in hand with Shellac & Brisa, with that in mind, no other generic lamps were tested as there was no need. Again, common sense must prevail, use a simlair design with the same output but as said also, cure for a little longer. 😄

Im not arguing either way for brand lamps vs non brand lamps. I'd prefer to use a CND lamp but one of mine is awaiting replacement. What really hacks me off is the lack of communication plus this appeared on my Facebook this morning... Slightly inflammatory ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392030722.757566.jpg

Just rang S2 still no date in sight on the arrival of new lamps :( could be another couple of weeks!!! So frustrating. When I asked what the hold up was, I was told 'We dont know!'. GRRRRRR :mad:
S2 dont do compensation either!
We just want our lamp replacements please.
Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

My CND lamp is the original. It will be four years old in August! Apart from only getting 46 hours full curing from my bulbs, I haven't had an issue. I think common sense must prevail on this situation. As in another thread regarding 'lampgate' I think it was Geeg said, don't lose business but change to a 'generic' lamp, but let your clients know.

I really hope I don't end up in this position as I've educated all my clients about the importance of using the correct products and equipment and differentiated my services above others as to how I care for their nail health and do things absolutely by the book. I even had a post on facebook on what to look for in a geniune shellac service including the CND lamp. That level of integrity is one of the things that keeps my 'quality' clients coming back....I would be extremely red-faced to have to back track on that... to the point where I would rather use another brand of gel polish along with the correct lamp for that system!
There is also the issue of insurance.

All of which is not helped by the latest post from CND (USA) on Facebook.... what a bunch of 'see you next tuesdays'! They deserve an absolute pasting for that post given they are deflecting all questions as to when lamps will be available in the UK.

Latest posts

Back