CND Polish - Nail Discolouration

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire83

Reaction score
Hi all,

This morning I took off my polish and have been left with discoloured nails. I used CND Stickey, 2 x Hot Chillis and Super Shiney and now my entire nail bed has been left an orangey/pink colour which is very noticeable.

Has anyone else had this happen and does it happen a lot with this type of coloured product?

I'm a bit annoyed as I was going to leave my nails bare for a little while but now can't as they just look awful. Any at-home tips to help ease the discolouration?

I have used CND varnishes for 10 years and never had this happen.

The only time I have seen discolouration on a persons nails is sometimes if they have eaten spicy food, use of a sunbed or smoking.

You could try very lightly using a buffer on your nails to see if this helps.

Have you used CND varnishes before? Is this the first time you have seen this - what about clients nails?

This was the first time I have used and CND products and was giving them a whirl before trying them out on clients.

I have never had a problem before with any other colours from other brands, maybe just the one red years ago.

I don't smoke, eat spicy food or go un sunbeds - I'm as pale as you can get! So I know it's none of these.

I haven't had the colour on for even a week before it started chipping so I removed and now have this :(

Are they new or have they been lying around for a while.

As I said, I have never had this happen so am at a loss. I did have something similar happen years ago with a Toma polish which changed in the sunlight and it sometimes turned the nails a bit yellowy.

Bought a few weeks ago and tried it out last week so not old, not been in sunlight, standing upright, rolled between hands. Everything I normally do for a polish.

I'm a little disheartened now as I love the colours but am worried this may happen on clients or with different colours I may get.

Did you buy from Sweet Squared - maybe you could contact them and see if they can shed some light on what might have caused your issues.

Hot Chillis is from the old range isn't it? Maybe it's been hanging around in the warehouse for a while. Try it on one nail of someone else and then you will know if it's the polish or something else. Sweet Squared sell Nail Brite for stained nails. The main ingredient is lemon juice so you could try that with a soft nail brush.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep from Sweet Squared. I thought I might give them a call later and see if they can help.

Thanks for your help and suggestions Fiona.

Hot Chillis is from the old range isn't it? Maybe it's been hanging around in the warehouse for a while. Try it on one nail of someone else and then you will know if it's the polish or something else. CND sell Nail Brite for stained nails. The main ingredient is lemon juice so you could try that with a soft nail brush.

Ooh yeah I might try that.

Yes it is from the old range so that could be it. Come to think of it I used it on my sisters toes and they stained too. Hmm, ok. Maybe we have found the answer?

Will try the lemon juice in a while, let you know how I get on.

Just thought I'd let you know that the lemon trick didn't work, but gently buffing has helped my nails get back to a near enough natural colour.

I'm still intrigued as to why it happened.

A shame the lemon juice didn't work, I guess you don't know until you try! It must be the polish if the same thing happened on someone else. I don't know why it would have gone like that. There are great colours in the new range, I am addicted. Only planned to buy 20 and now have nearly all of them :lol:

Think I may have to stick with the new range rather than getting any from the old one. I will buy one or two on my next order (for Shellac colours) and give them a go.

hi there glad to hear your nails are going back to normal.

Did you use a base coat before applying the colour ? xx

This might sound really simple but did you buff the nail first to take out any ridges? Maybe its the colour getting caught in ridges if you didn't remove them first. Just a thought!

... just another thought did you use cuticle away to get rid of all the cuticle first?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, yep I did all of those. I sorted my cuticles out, buffed out ridges and applied a base coat (used CND Stickey). No idea what went on there. :)

i had my nails discolour from rock royalty a purple cnd (old) colour but id just took my nails of and didnt buff them bit of a rush job lol so thnk thats why mine stained never happened before with cnd polish there usually fab! x

hi,
sorry if i have hi-jacked this thread, but just a couple of weeks ago, i put dashing diva on a friends toes then sticky base, 2 x negligee (polish) then super shiny and a day or two later the nails have gone yellow!?

I dont think its the nails underneath but the polishes that have gone yellow.

Perhaps it could be that negiliee has been sitting in the warehouse as suggested above but it was only bought from SS about a month ago and hasnt been in the light.

Im totally baffled and TBH have not used cnd polishes before so have no other frame of reference.
Im assuming they do not yellow, but i just dont know why?
can anyone help? has this happened to anyone else?

many thanks guys :)

Hi cookbj

Like you, I hadn't used CND polishes before and I must admit I'm a little wary of them now. I'm probably just being silly, but even so I painted my nails in a Leighton denny colour, just in case :o lol

I can't really help you with the DD experience. I have only just received mine and I'm yet to try it out, but I would love to know if anyone else has any answers about our problems.

Latest posts

Back