CND problems, please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to this site and very new to cnd shellac.

I have a few issues and questions that I was wondering if anyone could help me please.

I have just started using cnd and have noticed when using the pale colours, mauve maverick and lilac eclipse, it goes on very streaky and doesn't cover the ridges on nails at all.

I have to put 3 layers on and to be honest it looks like it needs 4 sometimes, and it just doesn't look as smooth and shiny as it think it should do or hoped it would.

I have also found since practicing on family members
that its not lasting very long at all on them unlike the gel that I have used previously.

I am doing cuticle work using cuticle away, scrub fresh and doing that for 5 secs per nail, applying thin coat of base coat, thin coat of shellac x 2/3 then slighter thicker top coat, all curing for 2 mins on uv lamp aprt from base coat which I do for 10 secs, which how I have been shown.

I was really excited about the cnd and have spent a lot of money on it and feeling a bit deflated about it all now so any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you xxx

Might need to use ridge rx to smooth out the nail first

First you have to shake up the bottle really good.

Second, it sounds like this comes down to polishing technique, which I can't help you. Good polishing technique comes with practice and experience.

I know many nail techs who can make a streaky prone paint look very smooth. So its all in the technique.

I use Shellac as well (and Gelish) and find some colours are a nightmare to work with because of the steaks. By the 3rd coat I’m ready to give up because at that point it just looks ugly and thick. I disagree with the above comment, i’m a freaking polish master and I still get streaks.

I use Shellac as well (and Gelish) and find some colours are a nightmare to work with because of the steaks. By the 3rd coat I’m ready to give up because at that point it just looks ugly and thick. I disagree with the above comment, i’m a freaking polish master and I still get streaks.
How dare you disagree with me. Jk

If you can make bubble bath look smooth, you're good to go. If other colors look streaky, then its definitely the color.

Hi everyone
Thanks so much for your replies.
I did buy some ridge ex by cnd but they said it could only be used with the vinylux and I am using original cnd.
I have noticed if I put it on thicker then it’s ok but I know it’s meant to be a thin layer so it doesn’t peel.
Just feels like it takes me ages as I am having to always apply 3 costs and it’s not up to the standard that I want it to be.
Have any if you tried the Ibx nail repair ? I have heard you can use this under shellac and was wondering if that would make a difference!
Xx

Hi everyone
Thanks so much for your replies.
I did buy some ridge ex by cnd but they said it could only be used with the vinylux and I am using original cnd.
I have noticed if I put it on thicker then it’s ok but I know it’s meant to be a thin layer so it doesn’t peel.
Just feels like it takes me ages as I am having to always apply 3 costs and it’s not up to the standard that I want it to be.
Have any if you tried the Ibx nail repair ? I have heard you can use this under shellac and was wondering if that would make a difference!
Xx

Ibx is used to improve nail condition not make shellac look better

Always ensure that you give the bottles a good shake and I find that with all the pale colours it’s quite often that it needs 3 layers also I find when the polish is newly opened it is very very thin annoyingly. Over time and usage the polishes will thicken . And the fact they’re not lasting on the nails could well be down to the application , buffing and dehydration and no skin contact is essential for the shellac to fully adhere to the nail, without this it could we’ll be likely to shrink, chip or peel. I hope this helps.

Thank you. Do you buff everyone’s nails as I end up finding the prep work takes me so long and what should be a 30 min treatment takes me an hour!
I suppose it’s a matter of practice and I will speed up over time?
Just not charging family much for doing at at the moment as using them as models so just feel like I am making little money for my time.
X x

Latest posts

Back