CND Radical or Retention+ monomer liquid?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emma/tenerife

Reaction score
helloooooo,

just a quick question for everyone out there to see which cnd liquid people preferr to use,radical or retention+???
i was trained to use radical but have just gotten some retention+ and have yet to use it.i realise you dont need a primer with this one but just wondered if it gave any ddifference to the over-all finish. e.g less lifting ect??

retention is for lift prone
radical is for heavy handers
hth x

During my training we used Retention as its a good one to start with for beginners. I have stuck with this, but had a couple bottles of Radical from my kit so have been using them. We were told we don't need a primer with this, so I haven't been using it and all sets are ok.

What is everyone elses experience Radical and not using a primer?

Was told Retention is for lift prone - hence good for beginners.

Just be sure to use a separate brush for each liquid to prevent cross contamination and discoloration of your powder during application. It will absolutely ruin your brush. I use both liquids but use Radical more as it is definitely tougher. When I do have a client that has some lifting then switching to Retention usually solves the problem.

Just be sure to use a separate brush for each liquid to prevent cross contamination and discoloration of your powder during application. It will absolutely ruin your brush. I use both liquids but use Radical more as it is definitely tougher. When I do have a client that has some lifting then switching to Retention usually solves the problem.

I was taught that I could use both liquids with the same brush....which I have always done. Am still using the same brush 20 months later. Brush isn't ruined and haven't had any contamination or discoloration.

Can you explain it a bit more. How would using Radical and Retention with the same brush cause those problems?

I've recently swapped to Radical from Retention+ and am loving it :Love:

I've reduced my lifting problems, full sets are coming back virtually as good as when they left 2 weeks before and I've restored my faith in my own work :lol:

I was taught that I could use both liquids with the same brush....which I have always done. Am still using the same brush 20 months later. Brush isn't ruined and haven't had any contamination or discoloration.

Can you explain it a bit more. How would using Radical and Retention with the same brush cause those problems?

Izzidoll explained to me that because Ret+ is primerless and Radical isn't if you use a brush for Radical then use it for Ret+ you could reduce the bonding ability of your Ret+ because there is Radical in your brush - does that make sense??

Hang on, I'll have a look for the thread!

Hold on hold on!! Lets get this straight.

BOTH Radical and Retention+ are primerless liquid monomers.

BOTH work wonderfully well without using any primer.

I have used Radical liquid for over 10 years and I have never used primer with it ever.

I use Radical when I need really tough enhancements for those who are very heavy handed and Retention for most everyone else UNLESS I want a super fast set and then I use Moxie which is also primerless.

You have the OPTION to use primer with all of these liquids if you feel the need for super dehydration ... I never have.

Trin I'm glad you love Radical ... it is still my favourite liquid from CND. It has something special about the look of it to me. x

Gigi, Do you have to use a separate brush? I recently used Radical for a heavy handed client, but I never changed my brush.

Gigi, Do you have to use a separate brush? I recently used Radical for a heavy handed client, but I never changed my brush.

CND do advise that one use different brushes for different monomers to avoid contamination.

However, I would not worry overly at this point if you have only done it once. For the future though, I would advise A BRUSH FOR EACH.

Please do not worry over this one occasion.

I have just got a radical try me kit from the scratch promotion (I have always used retention) and I really love it. I am very heavy handed and have not had one problen since I put them on 2 weeks ago. I have usually cracked one by now lol. The only thing I have found with it is it seems to set slower than retention so you have to adjust your mix ratio. I must also say that I love the colour you get with the powders. They seem brighter/cleaner in some way xx

Izzidoll explained to me that because Ret+ is primerless and Radical isn't if you use a brush for Radical then use it for Ret+ you could reduce the bonding ability of your Ret+ because there is Radical in your brush - does that make sense??

Hang on, I'll have a look for the thread!

Intriguing:| !!
I hope you find it, my short term memory is shocking theses days lol:lol:
........I have to say like Geeg It has been many years since I used primer and I never had any problems with lifting no matter what monomer I was using Radical or Retention+. ( and I am talking about the days before acid free primer here) As I have said on numerous posts primer with these systems turns prep into a power prep and it is a good saftey net for beginners to have.
If you are constantly going to swap about from 1 monomer to another then it is advisable to have seperate brushes for each.
If it is a permanent change from one to another then as long as you 'flush out' your brush I see no great problem. HTH

I have just got a radical try me kit from the scratch promotion (I have always used retention) and I really love it. I am very heavy handed and have not had one problen since I put them on 2 weeks ago. I have usually cracked one by now lol. The only thing I have found with it is it seems to set slower than retention so you have to adjust your mix ratio. I must also say that I love the colour you get with the powders. They seem brighter/cleaner in some way xx

As I said in my post ... there is a 'look' to CND Radical nails which I adore and nothing else is quite like it.

CND do 3 different monomers to offer teks 3 different options for clients who, after all, are very different in their lifestyles.

Try them ... and see the difference. One thing never suits everybody!! They do what they promise to do.

Oh! I did my foundation course with radical and was taught to use primer. Having said that, I once forgot on the first hand and remembered in time for the second. There was no difference between the two hands at the rebalance stage, though. :)

Intriguing:| !!
I hope you find it, my short term memory is shocking theses days lol:lol:

Maybe it wasn't you 'cos I can't find it.......:o!!! My memory is rubbish as well..... Ah well, the question has been answered by geeks who know loads more than me, but the thread I'm thinking of is really bugging me now!!!!! Ho hum.....:)

Trin I'm glad you love Radical ... it is still my favourite liquid from CND. It has something special about the look of it to me. x

There is!!! I thought it was just my relief at them still being on after 2 weeks made them look extra special :lol: Rose tinted spectacles are lovely :smack:

I was ttaught all CND liquids were primerless, and I've not been using one with great success.

I was told that radical is the only monomer that is'nt primerless, and I belive that this is still taught in Denmark.

Is this a new thing or has it aleways been like that?

thank you

I was told that radical is the only monomer that is'nt primerless, and I belive that this is still taught in Denmark.

Is this a new thing or has it aleways been like that?

thank you

Radical has always been a primerless liquid ... in fact it was the first ever primerless liquid introduced by CND into the market in 1994.

Those who dared went primerless immediately (me for one). Those who couldn't give up the use of primer cause they had been using it for 20 years and didn't trust that the enhancements would last, were told they could use it ... BUT it was never encouraged to use primer with it. Right from the beginning.

As long as prep was perfect then there were no problems. Trouble was, that in the States in particular, teks had been using primer AS thier prep for years AND YEARS and were not used to doing the gentle prep we do nowadays as a matter of course. Prep in those days was file the nailplate and use 2 coats of primer. (By the way, I'm not making this up, I was around then). CND was the first (as in most things) to introduce the concept of caring for the natural nail as our responsibility to our clients.
NOW THERE WAS A NEW IDEA!! Many still haven't got there!! But we woon't mention 100 grit files will we??

Ok, just a bit confusing when you are taught that you have to use primer with radical, and the instructors in denmark is also taught that, i think (my boss is an instructor and I have never ever heard her mention this one)

Only explanation could be that when new nail tech, the monomor you recieve ion foundation course is radical and to prevent people giving up too soon they encourage primer, but again no, come to think about it the reason why we cannot use the same brush in all monomors is that radical is not primerless.

Will speak to Icgroup in denmark monday then, I know you know Minna Gigi?
This is frustrating as I now go against what I am taught, but believe that you know what you are talking about Gigi:)

Latest posts

Back