CND Shellac & Additives problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Showgirl

Reaction score
Hi there does anyone else have a problem with additives wearing off around the free edge after a couple of days? I only use CND products and don't know what to do to rectify the issue. Help please x

Hi, are you fully capping off the free edge with enough top coat? Just a thought. 😃

I have this problem quite a lot, its especially noticeable when the base colour is very different from the finished additive effect. Some client don't mind but others hate it and avoid additives, I always advise them that there could be some wear.

As Zoe1501 says its essential to cap well but I must say I do and it still be wears! They are not my favourite thing to use.

Karaxxx

I do think I'm capping off the free edge properly. I've never had a problem with the actual colour coat wearing off before and I'm sure it would if I wasn't capping correctly. X

I feel it makes the top layer kind of dry and more prone to coming apart, hope you know what I mean. It may just be my take on things and I know that not everyone has this problem but on my own nails it can lift, chip, peel away or wears at the free edge.

Karaxxx

I have this problem too, it's seems to wear away at end of the nail. I only ever use it at the base of the nail now for a gradient effect never over the whole nail or the top. I think I had a problem with lecente stardust doing the same but can't quite remember as it was a while ago and I haven't used it much since.

I find this massively, and avoid additives now because of it, I'm also seeing wear issues with foiling (which I posted about) so avoid that too

I assumed it was just me despite doing everything I'm supposed too as no-one else really mentioned it :rolleyes:

do all aditives need a base colour underneath?i did midnight tide on a clear plastic nail pop and it covered it completely but a client was thinking about choosing it and i was secretly glad she didnt as i was undure if i should use a colour underneath it!!!

I also had this problem especially if I used additives over a lighter colour, so I removed my colour pops with all the additives on.

I only offer them as colour fade/ombre from the cuticle end, same as 'Fiona17'
x

I do think I'm capping off the free edge properly. I've never had a problem with the actual colour coat wearing off before and I'm sure it would if I wasn't capping correctly. X

It's not often I use additives if I'm honest & when I do I only tend to use it for fading so not come across this issue, it was just a thought. By the sounds of it it's a common issue. x

Is this a problem with Lecente or just Additives. I was about to order but have just seen this post. Also what is the difference between Additives and Lecente or is Lecente just a different make to CND Additives :confused:

Glad this thread was posted, a client of mine yesterday had issues with wear at the free edge. Would two topcoats do the trick?

Moo Moo, Lecenté is just a different brand :)

I feel it makes the top layer kind of dry and more prone to coming apart, hope you know what I mean. It may just be my take on things and I know that not everyone has this problem but on my own nails it can lift, chip, peel away or wears at the free edge.

Karaxxx

I know exactly what you mean. So agree with you.

Is this a problem with Lecente or just Additives. I was about to order but have just seen this post. Also what is the difference between Additives and Lecente or is Lecente just a different make to CND Additives :confused:

Additives are a powder where as Lecente make precision cut glitter. (Basically glitter that has been cut very very finely) They are both worth getting. You will love the Lecente. Try them out they are not expensive. I'm sure one of the educators will be along to explain it better. Have a look at their FaceBook page. It's really good.

I always do two top coats with additives, or a layer of clearly pink or zillionaire/silver or gold VIP and then top coat, it helps to have the two coats after :)

do all aditives need a base colour underneath?i did midnight tide on a clear plastic nail pop and it covered it completely but a client was thinking about choosing it and i was secretly glad she didnt as i was undure if i should use a colour underneath it!!!
They need something to stick to :)

could you be using too much additive. You only need the tiniest amount ..

I love additives. I haven't experienced this problem with them but I always seal them (and glitter) with a layer of Zillionaire/Mother of Pearl/Silver or Gold VIP before top coating, though if my client doesn't want sparkle I double top coat. Also I've discovered you need much less additive on your brush than you think - it goes a very long way - so make sure you're brushing off any excess that isn't stuck firmly to the sticky layer. Hope that helps.

We were taught to always use a coat of clearly pink over the additives,and to really burnish the additive in so that it is fully "imbedded" in the color underneath.

Hi there does anyone else have a problem with additives wearing off around the free edge after a couple of days? I only use CND products and don't know what to do to rectify the issue. Help please x
I'm taking a CND class next week and will definitely ask about this issue. I'm very new to the industry and will be using CND and LCN exclusively so, I'll try to find the answer.

Latest posts

Back