CND Shellac advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

Trinity, you are straight talking but not condescending. You are tactful and polite, and most importantly, I feel like you genuinely care and want others to do well. Thanks so much for that, it definitely makes me feel more inclined to use this forum!

I'm trying to encourage my clients to visit more regularly, so that they will develop well nourished and maintained cuticle skin (I have seen how improved my own are, since getting education and looking after them better). I use CuticleAway, the trainer at my beauty school recommended it. We were taught to use cuticle remover for standard manicure AND gel polish manicure. I don't like using water on the nails, althoicugh a cuticle remover and soapy water is surely better than a nail plate that still has cuticle skin on it, as that will definitely cause lifting? Maybe if the water is only in contact for a couple of seconds, it can't be absorbed enough to have an impact? I read somewhere that it's around 60 seconds of constant contact that causes the nail plate to absorb the water and begin to expand but there seem to be very mixed views on this topic.

I'm a big fan of IBX. I do think that if the nail is healthy and strong, what I put on top will last better.

Does CND shellac fare better over an overlay??
Bye for now x

I use CuticleAway, the trainer at my beauty school recommended it. We were taught to use cuticle remover for standard manicure AND gel polish manicure. I don't like using water on the nails, althoicugh a cuticle remover and soapy water is surely better than a nail plate that still has cuticle skin on it, as that will definitely cause lifting? Maybe if the water is only in contact for a couple of seconds, it can't be absorbed enough to have an impact? I read somewhere that it's around 60 seconds of constant contact that causes the nail plate to absorb the water and begin to expand but there seem to be very mixed views on this topic.

I think that some people have gone overboard on this issue. The old school manicure involved a lengthy soak - 5 minutes or more - to soften the cuticle for removal. That will certainly cause the nail to swell with water and then as the nail dries it compromises the gel polish. WE have better ways of removing cuticle now. It is critically important to the integrity of the manicure to 1) remove all cuticle and 2) remove all traces of remover. A 30 second wash and scrub will not cause the nails to swell and will not compromise the gel polish.

hiii kind of late to the party lol but i use scrub fresh to cleanse the nail plate, i make sure to go over until it squeaks. and then i use pHbond aid. make sure to really seal the tips with the color and the top coat. DO NOT use any lotions or oils before you polish. that can all be done after you polish. hope this helps :)

Thank you everyone for all of your replies and advice on this topic. It’s good to hear how other therapists are getting on with various products and I love hearing all of your individual advice and adaptations that you have picked up over many years of experience etc.
I have now found my feet with the Shellac. I have done a fair amount of Shellac manicures now and I have only had lifting/chipping with those first 3 clients. All my other clients have had 14 days chip free wear and some have had 3 - 4 weeks chip free.
I imagine my technique has improved but I also think that maybe those 2 clients it didn’t last on maybe just didn’t have healthy nails or didn’t follow the aftercare like I advised. Either way, I now have happy clients and more confidence.
I hope it continues xxx

Latest posts

Back