CND Shellac base and top coat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platinumbeauty

Reaction score
OK so I know Im going to get shot here but I just wanted to see if anyone else has done the same and what results people are getting and with what products.

Ok so please note this was purely experimental, ON MYSELF not clients and in Salon I only used the full CND Shellac system.

So Im a bit of an online shopper and came across some cheap unknown brand gel polish, I absolutely LOVED a particular colour and though meh just for me Im gonna give it a whirl, again only for my personal use. So I bought it and prepped as normal and used my CND Shellac base coat, then this New colour unbranded gel polish, and then CND Shellac Top coat. YES I made a sandwich of my own creation.

Now I know all about this mixing of brands ya da ya da, BUT I must say, This worked a treat!!!!! Now all im thinking is the Range of colours possible is HUGE!!! I believe all the strength and staying power is in the base and top coats, hence why Id never compromise on these, anyone else done the same.

Please again remember this was my own little experiement on MYSELF and not clients.

Just hope you don't end up with an allergic reaction which jeopardises your career due to improper curing for this little experiment!

Great you've had fun but I'd be scared of having a reaction with long term use.

Insurance companies would love this scenario as it gives them a much loved get out clause but as you say it's on yourself so you're unlikely to sue!

I think what keeps us a cut above as professionals is training properly, working properly and doing things by the book to ensure safety to our clients. Why put yourself at risk.

I'm not having a dig here but I read time and time again about poor girls who for no fault of their own have become allergic to some beauty product. Why encourage this on yourself hun 😢

I totally know what you are all saying, and Id never do this on clients, I know reactions can happen anytime, i guess Ive just been lucky i dont react to anything, hell I could even eat raw chicken and Id be fine LOL

Its definitely not something Id do and I get as a professional I should be number 1 rule follower, but who hasn't has a little play around with products right? This is how new products are created.

I was actually just very wowed and shocked that this worked and was wondering if others had any experiments. The reaction/allergy thing was actually another reason I put this post on, I am genuinely looking for feedback of both good an bad. call me curious!!!

Nothing wrong with being curious 😀 As a person who would be likely to come out in a rash just looking at a raw chicken I guess I'm just very sensitive about allergic reactions

Ok firstly you don't know if your experiment 'worked'. Unless you have the correct testing equipment how do you know if the product has fully cured? At just 50% or so cured, it will be hard but that doesn't mean it is fully cured which leaves you at risk.

Allergies work in strange ways. You could be using a product without problem then wham! One day you develop blisters and sores and you have yourself a full blown allergic reaction, and you will be allergic to it for the rest of your life.

I have seen numerous posts from geeks on here who suddenly develop allergies to products they have been using for years and suddenly their careers are over...is it really worth it for a colour?

Can I recommend that you take a look at the links below, written by Doug Schoon.

Schoon Scientific - Doug Schoon, scientist and nail industry expert provides educational articles

Schoon Scientific - Doug Schoon, scientist and nail industry expert provides educational articles

I think the mixing of brands and allergic reactions has been covered well here so don't think I can add anything on that note.

I'm curious as to why you would showcase a colour that you know you can't provide to a client? I'd rather wear a colour I know I can use on a client rather than having to explain they can't have it because you've mixed systems which isn't advised. My clients look to me for advice as the pro, and I know they'd be sat there thinking if it's ok for me, it must be ok for them to have

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think the mixing of brands and allergic reactions has been covered well here so don't think I can add anything on that note.

I'm curious as to why you would showcase a colour that you know you can't provide to a client? I'd rather wear a colour I know I can use on a client rather than having to explain they can't have it because you've mixed systems which isn't advised. My clients look to me for advice as the pro, and I know they'd be sat there thinking if it's ok for me, it must be ok for them to have

Exactly and why not try to recreate the colour using the many additives and glitters made by CND.

I love shellac and all it stands for the nail art choices are better with shellac than any other brand I know. My only gripe is that they haven't yet sorted out an LED lamp to speed things up 😔

Actually, she should have no risk of an allergic reaction, at least no more than usual. Assuming she followed the CND Shellac as well as the other brands' instructions for curing (in her CND Shellac lamp), the base coat should have cured properly, the color coats should cure and so should the top coat. She's not curing improperly for any of the layers; all of the layers should have a complete cure. As I see it, the problem isn't allergies but service breakdown, peeling, and difficult removals. The CND Shellac system "keys" the color coats to the base and top coats and by not using a CND Shellac color coat, the three layers do not key together correctly. If we go back to that video CND did years ago, it supports this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhBeaErSiYY&list=UU11OY9uVMrrw5hyzrYMzHvw

So while intermixing like this is against the manufacturer's instructions and would not be covered under one's insurance, I don't think it is correct to say that it is dangerous.

I mix brands all the time and never had any problem.
Hypoallergenic doesn't mean you can never get an allergic reaction, it means that the chance of getting one is smaller...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I mix brands all the time and never had any problem.
Hypoallergenic doesn't mean you can never get an allergic reaction, it means that the chance of getting one is smaller...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

This just means you have been lucky.
I wouldn't run my business depending on luck.
Yes, Gelish and some other brands of Gel polish say their base and topcoats can be used with other gel polish systems but that doesn't really include Shellac, as Nancy Syd says its all about the keying of the coats.
Shellacs top film/inhibition layer is different from gel polishes in fact its even different within their product line, hence why you need to use the BL basecoat when using BL but if adding Shellac use the Shellac topcoat not the BL one!

I have been advised by a top tech that using for instance Top it Off the Gelish topcoat over Shellac colour, isn't advised as Top it Off is impermeable and Shellac has solvents that need to evaporate. It's all in the chemistry!

OK so I know Im going to get shot here but I just wanted to see if anyone else has done the same and what results people are getting and with what products.

Ok so please note this was purely experimental, ON MYSELF not clients and in Salon I only used the full CND Shellac system.

So Im a bit of an online shopper and came across some cheap unknown brand gel polish, I absolutely LOVED a particular colour and though meh just for me Im gonna give it a whirl, again only for my personal use. So I bought it and prepped as normal and used my CND Shellac base coat, then this New colour unbranded gel polish, and then CND Shellac Top coat. YES I made a sandwich of my own creation.

Now I know all about this mixing of brands ya da ya da, BUT I must say, This worked a treat!!!!! Now all im thinking is the Range of colours possible is HUGE!!! I believe all the strength and staying power is in the base and top coats, hence why Id never compromise on these, anyone else done the same.

Please again remember this was my own little experiement on MYSELF and not clients.
Yes, Gelish and some other brands of Gel polish say their base and topcoats can be used with other gel polish systems but that doesn't really include Shellac, as Nancy Syd says its all about the keying of the coats.
Shellacs top film/inhibition layer is different from gel polishes in fact its even different within their product line, hence why you need to use the BL basecoat when using BL but if adding Shellac use the Shellac topcoat not the BL one!

I have been advised by a top tech that using for instance Top it Off the Gelish topcoat over Shellac colour, isn't advised as Top it Off is impermeable and Shellac has solvents that need to evaporate. It's all in the chemistry!

Hello.

She applied on herself. If a clients likes it tell her the truth and that is all. I always do mix and match with great resulta

Latest posts

Back