CND Shellac chipping after a week

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesuislouise

Reaction score
Hello! Just looking for a bit of advice. Have been using Shellac since November 2014 with really good results. I've had 2 new clients recently who know each other and came back in today. They both mentioned that their nails chipped after 1 and a bit weeks. Neither use Solar Oil (some people can be very resistant) Just looking for some advice on why they could be chipping?

Neither work so it's not like they have a job that could be hard going on their nails. I have given aftercare to both and explained its important to look after your nails and make sure they wear gloves when washing etc.

Any ideas? It makes me sad to hear people aren't getting a good wear out of my service so would really like to know how to prevent this happening again. Im not currently trained in anything other than Shellac so maybe its worth training in Brisa Lite?

Thank you!!

If you wanted to use Brisa Lite smoothing to add extra strength, you do not need to do training to use it. My clients definitely get longer wear when using it under Shellac.

Some clients think Shellac works miracles and don't think they need to look after their nails once they leave you, are they following your aftercare advice?

If they are new clients, have they had extensions previously? If so maybe they are expecting Shellac to be as strong.

Try to emphasise the importance of aftercare and solar oil use, also try Brisa smoothing as this might give the extra strength they need. HTH x

Shellac never used to last more than a week on my own nails, it doesn't suit everyone, clients are never honest re how they use their nails so don't feel too disheartened x

Hello! Just looking for a bit of advice. Have been using Shellac since November 2014 with really good results. I've had 2 new clients recently who know each other and came back in today. They both mentioned that their nails chipped after 1 and a bit weeks. Neither use Solar Oil (some people can be very resistant) Just looking for some advice on why they could be chipping?

Neither work so it's not like they have a job that could be hard going on their nails. I have given aftercare to both and explained its important to look after your nails and make sure they wear gloves when washing etc.

Any ideas? It makes me sad to hear people aren't getting a good wear out of my service so would really like to know how to prevent this happening again. Im not currently trained in anything other than Shellac so maybe its worth training in Brisa Lite?

Thank you!!

First thing that I see is that they are not following your aftercare advice, clients should use Solar Oil at least twice a day. If clients fail to follow your advice that is their choice but they can't expect the best they can get.
We say CND Shellac lasts up to 14 days, after that time regrowth means it's time for a re-do. That's not to say counts won't get longer, CND Shellac lasts perfectly.
I've had clients come back after 6 weeks with perfect colour still there, no chips just massive regrowth. My mum on the other hand, she will chip a nail 5 minutes after being done- because she ignores what I say and picks, uses her nails to open tins etc!!

It's frustrating and we have a tendency to blame ourselves, but as long as you are following treatment procedure and this is confined to the odd client, then it's down to something they are doing.

Brisa Lite is fabulous, I'm a big fan and have used it for ages on myself. It's a great partner for CND Shellac and wonderful for those clients who need the extra strength it brings, or for those who might be a little more heavy handed!

If you are finding clients resistant to purchasing Solar Oil, maybe look at how you are selling it to them. Clients need to believe in what you say and why they need this product, I find explaining it like conditioner for the hair, moisturiser for the skin, it penetrates through the coating and drives nutrients deep into the nail for nourished nails, promoting optimum wear with their choice of coating.

Would you, or are you offering a solar oil pinkie?

I give one to each of my clients on their first visit along with their aftercare info.

This way, a lot of them have started incorporating it into their daily routine and buy more from me when the freebie runs out.

I would also add that I always stress it lasts UP TO 14 days to manage expectations as many people don't look after their nails correctly. On me it lasts well beyond that and a few clients are getting 21 days regularly so are utterly delighted when it goes beyond their expectations.

If these ladies refuse to use a freebie of solar oil and don't follow your aftercare instructions I'm not sure how much more you can do aside from maybe the Briss Lite option

Latest posts

Back