CND Shellac not cruelty free, but is it vegan?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boid

Reaction score
hi everyone, i'm driving myself crazy trying to find information on this, so as far as i can find out and shellac products contain no animal ingredients which therefore makes them vegan? however cnd shellac is owned by revlon who test on animals, so does that then mean that shellac isn't vegan or are cruelty free and vegan two separate things? thankyou, I have looked and looked, help!

hi everyone, i'm driving myself crazy trying to find information on this, so as far as i can find out and shellac products contain no animal ingredients which therefore makes them vegan? however cnd shellac is owned by revlon who test on animals, so does that then mean that shellac isn't vegan or are cruelty free and vegan two separate things? thankyou, I have looked and looked, help!

I think it would depend on your definition of vegan. There's a difference between vegan lifestyle and vegan diet, for example. For the vegans I know, any animal exploitation is off limits. Since Cnd approves testing on animals in certain countries, they are not cruelty free, and therefore not vegan by association, in that case. I think for a cosmetics product to consider themselves Vegan, it's not enough to have zero animal ingredients, but also cruelty free. Cnd does not test on animals in Europe, but they do approve and choose to sell in other countries.

I think it would depend on your definition of vegan. There's a difference between vegan lifestyle and vegan diet, for example. For the vegans I know, any animal exploitation is off limits. Since Cnd approves testing on animals in certain countries, they are not cruelty free, and therefore not vegan by association, in that case. I think for a cosmetics product to consider themselves Vegan, it's not enough to have zero animal ingredients, but also cruelty free. Cnd does not test on animals in Europe, but they do approve and choose to sell in other countries.

thankyou, they have responded to me via instagram stating that they are vegan and cruelty free, and the only product that isn't vegan is the rescuerxxx keratin treatment as keratin is derived from sheeps wool

thankyou, they have responded to me via instagram stating that they are vegan and cruelty free, and the only product that isn't vegan is the rescuerxxx keratin treatment as keratin is derived from sheeps wool

I once asked them if they are cruelty free via Facebook, which they said yes to. When I challenged them on this claim (because they were being vague in their wording) CND did finally admit to selling in countries where testing is required and they are OK with their products being used for this. Very sneaky wording.
It's true that the only product that contains animal products is the keratin rescuerxxx. That doesn't mean its cruelty free.

i would send the screenshot, but am on my laptop, yeah they basically say they do not conduct animal testing (themselves) but sell their products to many markets and are subject to local rules and regulations. so what i get from that is they don't test, but yes they are tested....very sneaky wording indeed. blerch, it's a minefield as am trying to seek out something similar in appliance but that is vegan and cruelty free @7th-Heaven

i would send the screenshot, but am on my laptop, yeah they basically say they do not conduct animal testing (themselves) but sell their products to many markets and are subject to local rules and regulations. so what i get from that is they don't test, but yes they are tested....very sneaky wording indeed. blerch, it's a minefield as am trying to seek out something similar in appliance but that is vegan and cruelty free @7th-Heaven

For me, if they allow their products to be tested and they know it's being tested, just to be able to sell in that particular market, they might as well have done it themselves, it's the same in the end. They are letting it happen because they want to be in that market. Have you considered Light Elegance? There's countless other brands that might suit your needs too.

For me, if they allow their products to be tested and they know it's being tested, just to be able to sell in that particular market, they might as well have done it themselves, it's the same in the end. They are letting it happen because they want to be in that market. Have you considered Light Elegance? There's countless other brands that might suit your needs too.
yeah i know, and being sneaky about it just makes me dislike them! i have heard good things about ikon.iq , and currently waiting to hear back from magpie beauty to see if their products are vegan/cruelty free, i'm not vegan myself but would prefer all my products to be vegan friendly. i will have a look at light elegance, thankyou

yeah i know, and being sneaky about it just makes me dislike them! i have heard good things about ikon.iq , and currently waiting to hear back from magpie beauty to see if their products are vegan/cruelty free, i'm not vegan myself but would prefer all my products to be vegan friendly. i will have a look at light elegance, thankyou

I've also heard good things and would like to try them out if they ever get a Norwegian distributor :)

Hi,
I went through a similar investigation with my favourite cosmetics. I found that many companies are owned by bigger companies, who approve the sale of their goods in countries that insist on animal testing (China is one of them) before selling their goods. An example is Nars, who I thought were cruelty-free. Turns out they are owned by Estee Lauder, who sell their products in China, and state "If a regulatory body demands it for its safety or regulatory assessment, an exception can be made". Cleverly worded get-out by them!

I have a few O.P.I gels, and some other spa collection items, but I won't be buying more because I learned that the company do test. How sad, when you think of the sheer size of the company and how wealthy they must be.

Light Elegance are really good, my only issue is, I can't get hold of their soak-off gels here in the UK, and as much as I love hard gels (and the glitters are to die for) would still like to offer a quick removal soak-off gel system that is HEMA free, 100% gel and can last 3 weeks plus. I'm getting frustrated right now, trying to find a company that fits all my criteria. I'd like to stick to one brand for ease and convenience but realistically that isn't going to be possible.

There are a couple of UK cruelty free brands I'm interested in; Lecente, who have recently launched their own range of gel polishes, and INK London. With INK, they are offering a low-price HEMA free hybrid (similar in consistency to CND Shellac and Artistic Colour Gloss) that gives shellac a run for it's money. Trouble is, it's still a hybrid, most likely meaning it has a shorter shelf life because it must contain solvents, right? I like thick gels, especially potted gels, so I can apply with a brush of my choosing. L.E wins hands down.

Lecente are a great company and seem to be affiliated with lots of other brands, for example, Ikon-Iq sells their glitters and other art items to accompany their own line. Their range of gels at the moment is small, but seems unique, and it's being sold by Sweetsquared, who are excellent, so that increases my confidence in it as a product. They state their line of gels is HEMA free, apart from their new glitter gels. They are offering a free lamp when you buy 10 gels at the moment, I'm sorely tempted to try, just nervous because there isn't much information out there yet, as it's so new.

Another brand that has my attention is Ikon-Iq, a Swedish company who, to me, have a big focus on health and particularly safe ingredients. I think they have drawn a crowd from lots of nail techs who can't use products containing HEMA any more. They have an extensive range that includes potted gels, bottled gels, builders, art gels etc. I was impressed by their really professional website, and to me, the brand range of products has similarities with the Canadian company, Akzentz. I really enjoy Akzentz but I am finding them too expensive. I'm currently waiting to be approved by Ikon-Iq, and have no idea how much their products cost, but I do know that they are shipped from Germany so will cost a bit more to get them.

So I am still on the hunt for the holy grail! I'm thinking it might be better to stick to a UK company long term though, because of all the BREXIT uncertainty and the cost of shipping, or perhaps it might become impossible to get the products? When I decided to become a nail tech I really was clueless to all of this!!

Hi,
I went through a similar investigation with my favourite cosmetics. I found that many companies are owned by bigger companies, who approve the sale of their goods in countries that insist on animal testing (China is one of them) before selling their goods. An example is Nars, who I thought were cruelty-free. Turns out they are owned by Estee Lauder, who sell their products in China, and state "If a regulatory body demands it for its safety or regulatory assessment, an exception can be made". Cleverly worded get-out by them!

I have a few O.P.I gels, and some other spa collection items, but I won't be buying more because I learned that the company do test. How sad, when you think of the sheer size of the company and how wealthy they must be.

Light Elegance are really good, my only issue is, I can't get hold of their soak-off gels here in the UK, and as much as I love hard gels (and the glitters are to die for) would still like to offer a quick removal soak-off gel system that is HEMA free, 100% gel and can last 3 weeks plus. I'm getting frustrated right now, trying to find a company that fits all my criteria. I'd like to stick to one brand for ease and convenience but realistically that isn't going to be possible.

There are a couple of UK cruelty free brands I'm interested in; Lecente, who have recently launched their own range of gel polishes, and INK London. With INK, they are offering a low-price HEMA free hybrid (similar in consistency to CND Shellac and Artistic Colour Gloss) that gives shellac a run for it's money. Trouble is, it's still a hybrid, most likely meaning it has a shorter shelf life because it must contain solvents, right? I like thick gels, especially potted gels, so I can apply with a brush of my choosing. L.E wins hands down.

Lecente are a great company and seem to be affiliated with lots of other brands, for example, Ikon-Iq sells their glitters and other art items to accompany their own line. Their range of gels at the moment is small, but seems unique, and it's being sold by Sweetsquared, who are excellent, so that increases my confidence in it as a product. They state their line of gels is HEMA free, apart from their new glitter gels. They are offering a free lamp when you buy 10 gels at the moment, I'm sorely tempted to try, just nervous because there isn't much information out there yet, as it's so new.

Another brand that has my attention is Ikon-Iq, a Swedish company who, to me, have a big focus on health and particularly safe ingredients. I think they have drawn a crowd from lots of nail techs who can't use products containing HEMA any more. They have an extensive range that includes potted gels, bottled gels, builders, art gels etc. I was impressed by their really professional website, and to me, the brand range of products has similarities with the Canadian company, Akzentz. I really enjoy Akzentz but I am finding them too expensive. I'm currently waiting to be approved by Ikon-Iq, and have no idea how much their products cost, but I do know that they are shipped from Germany so will cost a bit more to get them.

So I am still on the hunt for the holy grail! I'm thinking it might be better to stick to a UK company long term though, because of all the BREXIT uncertainty and the cost of shipping, or perhaps it might become impossible to get the products? When I decided to become a nail tech I really was clueless to all of this!!

I was on a similar quest to you. And because it's best to stick to one main brand because of the accompanying lamp it can get daunting. I've heard so many good things about Ikoniq, but there's no distributor where I live AFAIK. A while ago I settled on lilly nails and it's available in UK too. They have a gel polish range and hard gels. I love LE as well, and they did eventually get a distributor in my country, so I've not been able to resist getting some of the glitters, they're beautiful. As more and more great, a new brands, are getting distributors around Europe and the world we have so much more to choose from now than just some years ago. :)

I read a post from Cuccio earlier this year saying that all their current polishes and gels were 10 free and leaping bunny approved.

Latest posts

Back