CND Shellac not lasting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyds1

Reaction score
Hi all, just after a bit of advice. I’ve recently completed the CND beginners course. I’ve started to do friends and family but having an issue with the nails chipping within a week! Sometimes they also seem to shrink away from the nail tip after curing. I’m trying to do each layer as thinly as possible and take time on the preparation beforehand. Just feeling a bit disheartened by it as want to do a good job and want them to last! Any advice on what I could be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks!

A lot of things can cause chipping. But Shellac should last about a week. Anything less is on you, anything more is icing on the cake.

Shrinking can be caused by it being warm weather.
Make sure you shake the bottle well every time.
Apply thinly to one finger and place under lamp for 3-4 seconds then do the same with each finger. Then cure whole hand for the whole time.
It’s flash curing, it holds it in place so it doesn’t shrink before you finish.

With longevity if people have strong nails the shellac should last longer as long as they are using gloves to clean/wash up/garden with.
Weak and thin nails don’t take shellac well but strong ones should get 2 weeks. Check they are following aftercare.

The shrinking can also be caused is the nail is still slightly damp. I have found d that some colours have tendancies to shrink [emoji848]

When most of my clients chip nails they will deny that they have done anything differently, its more than likely not your fault!

Don't let it dishearten you though [emoji173]️

PREP is so important. When you think you have all the dead skin off the nails go over again and be sure to go all around the side walls and cuticle area. Make sure you dehydrate with scrub fresh and don't touch the nails with your skin and don't allow them to touch the nails either. Apply your base coat super thin but ensure full coverage and make sure you cap the free edge. Don't touch the skin with the base coat or any other coat. If your base coat bottle is new. I find dabbing a little product onto the nail plate and then using a gel brush to paint it on the nail, that way you are not overloaded on product and you can really work it into the nail to give a perfect foundation for your colour. Apply the colour coats super thin, even if you have to apply three coats to get a good colour it is better than applying too thick and remember cap that free edge. The same with the top coat, applying it too thick will promote peeling, nice and thin. If you need extra thickness try the Durable top coat. Give some aftercare leaflets to your models and make sure they know to look after them. Cuticle oil is essential. Make sure they realise the importance of using such products. Don't give up! Hope the above helps x

Hi krum!
With the flash curing- is this with all coats- base, both colours & top?

Thanks xx

Shrinking can be caused by it being warm weather.
Make sure you shake the bottle well every time.
Apply thinly to one finger and place under lamp for 3-4 seconds then do the same with each finger. Then cure whole hand for the whole time.
It’s flash curing, it holds it in place so it doesn’t shrink before you finish.

With longevity if people have strong nails the shellac should last longer as long as they are using gloves to clean/wash up/garden with.
Weak and thin nails don’t take shellac well but strong ones should get 2 weeks. Check they are following aftercare.

Thanks so much to everyone on this thread, I’m just about to go onto my 5th case study and two out of the other 4 have had a crack appear( really flexible nail and the shellac just couldn’t cope I think) and on the other , we had peeling from the end on one nail ( not caping enough) plus I think the shellac coats were too thick on some of the others and so had lifting. But I have to say neither of them really appear to be doing the aftercare , so its difficult trying to work out if it’s my technique or them.
I’m being super careful with caping and thin layers now . I guess only time will tell .

Latest posts

Back