CND Shellac not sticking- peeling alot

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksguthrie

Reaction score
HI everyone,
I recently got my nails done with the CND shellac and am finding that it peels off my nails super quick ( within one week!)

they are using the bonder, base coat, then french manicure with the white and sheer pink colour, then uv top coat, then wiping the sticky stuff off and i find i gets air bubbles and lifts alot!

any help?

The help I would give you is to say to go to a technician who know's how to use the product, Or tell them about this site and get your technican to ask the questions SHE needs to? Peeling is not a problem we see with Shellac.

If you have a history of your nails not being able to wear polish successfully (ie peeling) then you wont be able to wear Shellac either .. you don't tell us this.

If you have really weak and bendy nails then also you need something more than a colour coat like Shellac , you need enhancement.

Is you techncian using the correct lamp to cure the Shellac also?

She/he should be using the new white digital CND lamp or the grey Brisa lamp - Shellac is a CND product & has been specifically designed to be cured with the UV output of these lamps only. If they are not using the correct lamp, then it's possible you suffer these problems due to the Shellac not being cured correctly.

Unfortunately I am one of the unlucky people who just can't keep Shellac on for any longer than 3 days without it lifting and peeling :sad: everybody else's last 2wks+ but my nails must just be incompatible. I redo them every few days though because they still last longer than polish!!

Maybe she isn't using the right lamp. One of my ladies came back for a soak of and new color after 15 days and she is a gardener, I was really worried told her I couldn't guarantee them as she wont wear garden gloves but she say's she can't pull weeds with gloves on lol, but no not a problem not a chip in sight and still as shiny as when first put on, she is so chuffed with them and has told me she will defo be recomending me and shellac, so for me a great result, another is a dentist assitant who has to use the scrub and wash her hands all the time and has banged them on the sink a couple of times when shaking the water off and again not a problem, so hopefully it's just a blip and next time will last for you :)

they are using the bonder, base coat, then french manicure with the white and sheer pink colour, then uv top coat, then wiping the sticky stuff off and i find i gets air bubbles and lifts alot!

What Bonder do you use with Shellac?!? I'm sure we weren't shown any bonder, just ScrubFresh, Base, Colour, Top, Wipe then Sola Oil or am I missing something?

Also if there's air bubbles I'd suggest that she's shaking the bottle as advised but then applying the Shellac WAY too thick xxx

Hiya Just noticed that about Bonder there is no Bonder with Shellac it isn't needed, so not sure why Bonder would have been used, are you sure she used Bonder ?? :)

i think you do need a bonder as it has bonding instructions on the CND shellac website :)

her lamp wasn't brisa- do you think this would have made a difference? i got a french manicure and its just peeling and chipping like crazy!

If you do a search on here you will find the correct steps fr application hun x

hiya :) i downloaded the steps from CND to ensure that she was doing it correctly. Im just wondering if anyone else knows why my shellac is peeling and chipping?

What is she doing to your nails Before the application of the shellac? Maybe talk us through each step?
And yes the light used makes a huge difference.
I agree with Gigi you should get your tech on hear :)

Shellac does not require a bonder. It is NOT a coloured gel therefore there is no bonder required. It has a specific base coat, but no primer or the like.

my mistake :) sorry i called the base coat a bonder coz im used to getting my fake nails done :)

ok steps were she filed my nails, cuticle trimming, then base coat, then the white, cure, then the sheer colour, cure, then top coat, cure and wipe.. its only lasting a few days and i want to cry :(

i did make sure to look and it wasnt a brisa lamp just anormal uv lamp she used to do my UV gel nails when i had them done

If it is the wrong lAmp then that is most likely the problem . but it is worth asking her if her other shellac clients are having this problem or if it is only you ,
did she de-hydrate your nails before putting it on?
It is hard to explaine all of this to you as a client I really do think that you shuld get her on hear so we can talk to her in a more detailed way , I mean no offence by that but even though you seem to know alot about nails and products it would be your tec who would benifit from this info .

If she is not using the CND UV Lamp then Shellac will not cure or bond to your nails. End of story. You've wasted your money, you've answered your question; the tech has wasted her time and money damaged her future business .. so very silly.

I have'nt used the CND lamp yet as it is out of stock so had to use my old one which is a really good lamp and so far it has worked just as well! however it has only been two weeks so there still may be issues untill the new lamps arrive.

Is your old lamp the brisa gel lamp? As that will work like the new cnd light, but you will have to cure thumbs on their own

Last edited by a moderator:
I have'nt used the CND lamp yet as it is out of stock so had to use my old one which is a really good lamp and so far it has worked just as well! however it has only been two weeks so there still may be issues untill the new lamps arrive.

Shellac will not cure without the new CND UV Lamp or the old Brisa UV Lamp. It may appear to be cured but it will not be.

There are many posts as to why this should be so and also the Shellac Lovers Group explains why it is fundamental to use the right lamp ... It is not marketing hype it is science and if technicians don't use it they will have problems which those who do use the system will not have, AND furthermore .. they will have clients that because theydecided not to use the right lamp, are disappointed with the service and then have no belief in the system or the technician as they will have been marketing the system with false promises.

If she is not using the CND UV Lamp then Shellac will not cure or bond to your nails. End of story. You've wasted your money, you've answered your question; the tech has wasted her time and money damaged her future business .. so very silly.

AMEN!

Shellac is amazing! I cannot keep polish on my nails for more than a few days without it chipping. I Shellac'd my nails last Monday, then had the nerve to haul 500 lbs. of topsoil and re-do my flower bed. It's 10 days later and my nails still look like I just did them! :)

Latest posts

Back