CND Shellac on dry, bendy, soft nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrunchyChips

Reaction score
Hello,

So I have been getting a lot of inquiries for people wanting to try shellac but say that they have very dry or very soft Bendy nails which I know will affect the way the product will wear and how long it will last. From everybody's experience what would you say would be the issues with the dry nails versus the soft Bendy nails. I want to be able to cater to the clients needs and answer their questions but I keep default thing back to thinking maybe we should just be using solar oil more often .. and I know that's not the appropriate answer so I'd like to get some help here [emoji3]

How about retailing Rescue Rxx so their nails can become stronger prior to applying Shellac?

As a tech with paper thin nails and from experience with clients shellac is not the answer for all, shellac needs a good healthy base to stick to. As with dry nails solar oil would help if used twice a day but if the nails are peeling shellac is not appropriate. IBX treatment sounds like it would be great for your clients I would have a look into it, it goes under gel polish to create a better base when nails are damaged :) CND have released a duraforce top coat to add strength for those with weak nails or a heavy handed lifestyle. It hasn't been out long enough for a lot of techs to make their mind up yet but on my nails it doesn't add enough strength for me to get good wear as my nails still bend a lot with it on so I will stick to gel overlays and acrylic, I have tried all sorts of treatments but at the end of the day your nail thickness is determined by your nail matrix, I have managed to add some strength but never enough for shellac to work for me. I would consider adding some sort of hard or soak off gel overlay to your treatment list if you want to cater to more clients?

My friend uses Coluccio veneer and she's a trained professional and she told me I could use IBX under my CND shellac and I wouldn't have a problem so I wasn't sure if I should go that route or not

Have you tried DuraForce yet? Its designed for these types of clients.

Definitely 2nd the DuraForce- it's a superb product!

IBX is fab. Duraforce has a 15 minute soak off time.

Yes I love Duraforce and you can also use it to adhere crystals

Hi

I’ve been looking into which products to help strengthen nails whilst still using shellac and the IBX system says it can be used under Shellac. Has anyone used this alongside Shellac?

I found IBX made my bendy, soft nails brittle.

Currently using CND Plexigel as a base for weak and damaged nails, the shaper is great as a heavy duty base coat. The builder is excellent for repairs

I found IBX made my bendy, soft nails brittle.

Currently using CND Plexigel as a base for weak and damaged nails, the shaper is great as a heavy duty base coat. The builder is excellent for repairs
Thank you Trinity I’ll have a further look into that. It seems to be a minefield of suggestions out there so thought it best to ask on here for good advice!

Thank you Trinity I’ll have a further look into that. It seems to be a minefield of suggestions out there so thought it best to ask on here for good advice!

The site is virtually dead now so you probably won't get many replies.

I use IBX for people who use Shellac every two weeks for an extended time. Or lacquer applied weekly. The product is definitely for professional use only.

The site is virtually dead now so you probably won't get many replies.

ugh, where is everyone? We’ve been so up and down the last two years.

I just went back to work after 18 months of unemployment in the US. We moved from New Mexico to Texas late 2020. So, new area and working part time to build a clientele.

Fatigue, dépression, uncertainty, loss pile up. Not the way I wanted to spend my ‘golden years’ for sure.
I’m so glad to be in the beauty industry. It’s nice to know that you are helping people to look and feel better.

ugh, where is everyone? We’ve been so up and down the last two years.

Personally I don't think the site has lost it's momentum due to covid. I think it was slowing before the change of ownership, those changes destabilised the core membership. The fundamentals of the site, professional support, training and shared experience, have been watered down. A few of the mods have resigned and left in the last few months. I've been here 19 years, I'm less inclined to answer posts these days. I don't use it but I think the Hair forum is still quite busy.

Personally I don't think the site has lost it's momentum due to covid. I think it was slowing before the change of ownership, those changes destabilised the core membership. The fundamentals of the site, professional support, training and shared experience, have been watered down. A few of the mods have resigned and left in the last few months. I've been here 19 years, I'm less inclined to answer posts these days. I don't use it but I think the Hair forum is still quite busy.
That’s a shame! I still look on here and follow threads that interest me. It’s one of the few places to ask questions and get a wealth of replies and support
Let’s hope 2022 is a great year for us all

It’s one of the few places to ask questions and get a wealth of replies and support

It's great the information is available and you get what you need, however, it is part of the problem (and I'm not getting at you personally I promise 🥰)

People join, ask a question, get help, then mostly leave. Or whine because they don't get the help they want (although usually what they need not what they want to hear). Rarely do members stay and share their knowledge, experience or help.

I know one of the mods left specifically due to the number of new members who arrive, demanded answers, refused to believe their training was lacking, or opinion (not facts) were incorrect, then disappear never to be seen again.

Maybe thats the way internet forums are now, before it was a bonded community of likeminded, supportive techs, all trying to work as a group to improve things for themselves and each other. Now it's more like a wikipedia page, come, take what you want and leave.

I'm absolutely interested in learning from others. I'm a new member but I value experience. I know I'm lacking experience so it disappoints me to hear this site is dead. I posted on reddit and got a couple replies but not of the quality I really need.

It's great the information is available and you get what you need, however, it is part of the problem (and I'm not getting at you personally I promise 🥰)

People join, ask a question, get help, then mostly leave. Or whine because they don't get the help they want (although usually what they need not what they want to hear). Rarely do members stay and share their knowledge, experience or help.

I know one of the mods left specifically due to the number of new members who arrive, demanded answers, refused to believe their training was lacking, or opinion (not facts) were incorrect, then disappear never to be seen again.

Maybe thats the way internet forums are now, before it was a bonded community of likeminded, supportive techs, all trying to work as a group to improve things for themselves and each other. Now it's more like a wikipedia page, come, take what you want and leave.
It does seem such a shame. As professionals Sharing our knowledge and experience is what helps us to create informed ideas and opinions but it’s also about a shared community who understand what we are going through!!

I trained probably 30 years ago now and drifted off and followed a different main career as I couldn’t fit it around my children as a single mum but I’ve always kept my hand in and continued with a few clients who refused to go elsewhere!! I’m now looking at stepping up and going solo again so probably looking at refresher training just for good measure even though I never stopped - think I’d feel more in touch tbh! But for me knowing you are all there (for those who’ve been on here for quite a while!! 😘😘) it’s a comfort!

I always appreciate advice when it’s given. We are all still learning all the time!

I took a break from this forum for about a year because I was so fed up of the repetitive questions, usually from people who had done a very brief course on line and thought they new everything and not prepared to work at gaining experience of working on, and finding solutions for, a wide range of client types. Just in for a quick buck.
I'm back now but it has gone really quiet on the beauty side!
Perhaps it's because all the good product companies run such good forums themselves?

I always look to expand training in my field. Once you are in a certain industry it is easier to find what you need. But getting into an industry is harder, all you get is pages and pages of courses. Of course, when you speak to the course providers, very little information is given and you're given the hard sell.
When the courses have been so bad, people turn to the forum asking something which, to the seems innocent. But it highlights how little they have been taught. Trying to tell someone that they have spent (what is to them) a huge amount of money, on a course that is no good, is a bitter pill to swallow. They then get defensive and the person that replies gets fed up of answering the same questions. It's a vicious circle. I think that things need to change to break the cycle and become more cohesive. I also think that the forum needs more advertising so newcomers know about it before they take up a course, so they can be educated.

Latest posts

Back