CND Shellac only lasting 4 days

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailglitter28

Reaction score
Hello. Can someone help me out please. I have a client that shellac only lasts for 4 days. Her job is very hands on and she often needs to use water to wash her hands or dishes. what is your advise to make shellac last longer? when I removed the rest of the polish of the nails it also takes longer than usual around 15m to remove ( I use shellac original topcoat) ? Is it her nails? I really don't know how to make her shellac last at least a week. The colour that lasted the worse was field fox 2 day had already chips.

Also. I' ve been waiting to get accepted to join the cnd facebook group for a while and is always pending don't know why
Do you know how to be added to the group?
Thank you

Last edited:
Hello. Can someone help me out please. I have a client that shellac only lasts for 4 days. Her job is very hands on and she often needs to use water to wash her hands or dishes. what is your advise to make shellac last longer? when I removed the rest of the polish of the nails it also takes longer than usual around 15m to remove ( I use shellac original topcoat) ? Is it her nails? I really don't know how to make her shellac last at least a week. The colour that lasted the worse was field fox 2 day had already chips.

Also. I' ve been waiting to get accepted to join the cnd facebook group for a while and is always pending don't know why
Do you know how to be added to the group?
Thank you
I've been a nail tech for 7 1/2 years and don't like the Shellac line. Try the Canni gel polish. I swear by it. Your clients will be able to go 3 to 4 weeks with it.

Have you tried DuraForce Topcoat? And is this client following any aftercare at all?

I've been a nail tech for 7 1/2 years and don't like the Shellac line. Try the Canni gel polish. I swear by it. Your clients will be able to go 3 to 4 weeks with it.
Thanks. Never hear of the brand will check it out. I was actually looking at gelish because a lot of people say it lasts longer. I just find the products a bit expensive but the bottles are double the size of shellac so ends up being cheaper.

Last edited:
Have you tried DuraForce Topcoat? And is this client following any aftercare at all?
Hi. Haven’t tried duraforce I need to get it to see if it helps. She is putting oil on her nails (not solar oil ) she bought an oil from eBay because is cheaper than solar oil

Hi. Haven’t tried duraforce I need to get it to see if it helps. She is putting oil on her nails (not solar oil ) she bought an oil from eBay because is cheaper than solar oil

This may be the problem. Who knows what's in that oil and whether it's compatible with Shellac? Advise that she buys some proper solar oil as regular use of it is the only way you can guarantee Shellac to last

This may be the problem. Who knows what's in that oil and whether it's compatible with Shellac? Advise that she buys some proper solar oil as regular use of it is the only way you can guarantee Shellac to last
I thought the same. Has the oil she bought from eBay is also called solar oil. I did told her it might be fake but she didn’t really bother. So I guess my last hope is duraforce. If it doesn’t work don’t know what more to do.

I thought the same. Has the oil she bought from eBay is also called solar oil. I did told her it might be fake but she didn’t really bother. So I guess my last hope is duraforce. If it doesn’t work don’t know what more to do.

Try duraforce, but I would explain about the solar oil situation...do you sell the pinkies? I give my clients a complimentary one on their first Shellac visit, and after that they can buy them at £2.95. Perhaps you could give her one and get her to use that instead of the eBay one to see if it makes a difference. Other than that there's not much you can do

Try duraforce as I'm getting good results using that. I also use protein bond on some clients - although it can be a pain to remove x

Try duraforce, but I would explain about the solar oil situation...do you sell the pinkies? I give my clients a complimentary one on their first Shellac visit, and after that they can buy them at £2.95. Perhaps you could give her one and get her to use that instead of the eBay one to see if it makes a difference. Other than that there's not much you can do
I did gave her the pinkie free on her first time and I also told her that I sold them if she need some more. Then she told me she end up buying from ebay because the bigger bottle was much cheaper. that is why I think is a fake no way the big solar oil bottle sells for £6. Only if it’s a million years old bottle.

Last edited:
Try duraforce as I'm getting good results using that. I also use protein bond on some clients - although it can be a pain to remove x
I am going to try duraforce thank you. Would you mind to tell me what protein bond do you use?

Thanks. Never hear of the brand will check it out. I was actually looking at gelish because a lot of people say it lasts longer. I just find the products a bit expensive but the bottles are double the size of shellac so ends up being cheaper.

I would say that double the size is false economy, when was the last time you got to the bottom of a big bottle of anything without it be thick & unusable!? But you are talking to a shellac fan here.
I'll be honest, it does frustrate me massively that people have unrealistic expectations of shellac, it's great but it's as great as your clients nails are, to be honest, this lady doesn't sound like an ideal candidate for it. I would strongly advise she wears gloves, used her oil AT LEAST 2/3 times a day & maybe try the Duraforce (which will take around 15 mins to remove)
One client whose shellac isn't lasting, doesn't warrant looking at spending a load of money on a whole new system. If your confident the issue isn't with you or your application, then it lies with her.

I would say that double the size is false economy, when was the last time you got to the bottom of a big bottle of anything without it be thick & unusable!? But you are talking to a shellac fan here.
I'll be honest, it does frustrate me massively that people have unrealistic expectations of shellac, it's great but it's as great as your clients nails are, to be honest, this lady doesn't sound like an ideal candidate for it. I would strongly advise she wears gloves, used her oil AT LEAST 2/3 times a day & maybe try the Duraforce (which will take around 15 mins to remove)
One client whose shellac isn't lasting, doesn't warrant looking at spending a load of money on a whole new system. If your confident the issue isn't with you or your application, then it lies with her.
I think my application is fine well I’m still new but I only have problem with the shellac only lasting 4 days with her. I just can’t believe last time I did a manicure with field fox chipped on her within 2 days. Other colours I did last her 4 days tops. The only thing I haven’t tried was duraforce. I was also looking at nail fresh but her nail plate is not oily so I don’t think would help.

Last edited:
Why would anyone want their clients to go 4 weeks with gel polish? You're cutting your profit basically in half.

I think my application is fine well I’m still new but I only have problem with the shellac only lasting 4 days with her. I just can’t believe last time I did a manicure with field fox chipped on her within 2 days. Other colours I did last her 4 days tops. The only thing I haven’t tried was duraforce. I was also looking at nail fresh but her nail plate is not oily so I don’t think would help.

I would suggest 1 more attempt with her & if it doesn't last this time I would suggest that shellac just isn't for her, with her hands on job & constantly washing her hands, she doesn't sound like an ideal candidate. Sounds like more of a headache for you tbh!

Why would anyone want their clients to go 4 weeks with gel polish? You're cutting your profit basically in half.
Totally agree but clients expectations are now wanting that long, no idea why when it's half way up their nails!

I would suggest 1 more attempt with her & if it doesn't last this time I would suggest that shellac just isn't for her, with her hands on job & constantly washing her hands, she doesn't sound like an ideal candidate. Sounds like more of a headache for you tbh!
I think it just doesn’t work for her because of her job.

Totally agree but clients expectations are now wanting that long, no idea why when it's half way up their nails!
Yep I think now they want the manicure to last almost a month and that just doesn’t happen.

Does she have very short nails? It is essential to cap the free edge with Shellac and short nails can be problematic. Also you should always use scrub fresh or another nail cleanser/ dehydrator. Duraforce helps with some problem clients but also Shellac is not for everyone. We carry Shellac and Bioseaweed in my shop. Some clients just can’t hold Shellac and the Bio Seaweed is a good fit, visa versa.

Latest posts

Back