CND Shellac problems-please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I trained with Sweet squared in both their shellac class & master artist (plus L&P/brisa) and cuticle away is what they show you to use during prep - not dry prep as clients can have excess cuticle all over the nail without it seen by the eye so cuticle away helps to lift it away & dissolve, a dry prep will not do this alone and could cause lifting.

As other have said, this is incorrect information. Cuticle Away is needed for each CND Shellac service and not doing this for the client is cutting corners.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app
Eek, sorry if I've passed on wrong info I'm almost certain it has been stated numerous times on here that dry PEP is fine for Shellac... :confused:

Sent from my D6503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Here is a post from Mrs Geek. Either is fine.

Attachments

• 1423253834590.jpg
    1423253834590.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 118
Here is a post from Mrs Geek. Either is fine.

Well that's surprised me as my CND educator taught that I need to use Cuticle away at every shellac service for it to be the genuine shellac service and proper prep - and that was in 2011 & 2014 (my Cnd master artist training). Although it does state in Mrs Geeks post that those techs NOT removing it correctly were having lifting issues...

Well that's surprised me as my CND educator taught that I need to use Cuticle away at every shellac service for it to be the genuine shellac service and proper prep - and that was in 2011 & 2014 (my Cnd master artist training). Although it does state in Mrs Geeks post that those techs NOT removing it correctly were having lifting issues...

Yep, definitely needs de-activating doesn't it :)

I haven't always used it for either enhancements or Shellac but I must say since I've started using it on every single client I'm noticing a lot less lifting with the enhancements, even though there wasn't much before, it's practically non existent on near enough all clients.

Shellac clients are getting the same wear with or without the Cuticle Away.

Yep, definitely needs de-activating doesn't it :)

I haven't always used it for either enhancements or Shellac but I must say since I've started using it on every single client I'm noticing a lot less lifting with the enhancements, even though there wasn't much before, it's practically non existent on near enough all clients.

Shellac clients are getting the same wear with or without the Cuticle Away.

I definitely find cuticle away makes it easier to removed the cuticle as you do not need to hardly do anything with the AHA's dissolving it, I started a dry prep today on a bio service and it was a pain - so I ended up using CA anyway! But yes your right I find less lifting.

As Emily S stated dry pep is absolutely fine for Shellac manicure. I tend to use cuticle away on a first visit and any subsequent visits that I feel the client needs it. This isn't cutting corners this is just good sense. I am also a CND master and this is how I was taught.

You may be in to something with the 'thin' issue, although your work is neat your coats look a little sheer so possibly taking it a little thicker wouldn't be such a bad thing. I think everyone gets very caught up In The 'thin to win' game, it needs to be thin but not sooo thin you have to scrub it on.

Have a look into Brisa Lite and Ibx for some extra help on those clients who are a little tougher on their hands, and make sure the clients take some responsibility.

As Emily S stated dry pep is absolutely fine for Shellac manicure. I tend to use cuticle away on a first visit and any subsequent visits that I feel the client needs it. This isn't cutting corners this is just good sense. I am also a CND master and this is how I was taught.
Thank you, thought I was going insane 😂

You'd think S2 would teach everyone the same and not different things! I'm going to co tact them and ask why I wasn't told this during my training.

In order to set my Shellac service apart from other gel polish services then Cuticle Away is used every time. Any less makes it just like any other uv gel polish service. Use the product right and there should be no issues on the contrary your Shellac application will be great. Number one comment from clients is "that last place I went to didn't do that, scraped my nail too hard, buffed my natural nail etc..." Well to be quite frank, that is not a Shellac service. Cuticle Away is meant to gently remove the cuticle so that the nail plate doesn't need buffing. So unless you are using a file/buffer you are probably leaving a ton of dead tissue behind which causes lifting and that sadly damages the nail plate. Once again, not a proper Shellac service. See where I'm going with this?

You'd think S2 would teach everyone the same and not different things! I'm going to co tact them and ask why I wasn't told this during my training.

They may have established that the product works just as well without CA, it does seem to be more of a recent thing (that I've read on here anyway) and we're able to do whichever way suits us, neither 'right' nor 'wrong' :)

Training courses change all the time, I wouldn't worry about it xx

In order to set my Shellac service apart from other gel polish services then Cuticle Away is used every time. Any less makes it just like any other uv gel polish service. Use the product right and there should be no issues on the contrary your Shellac application will be great. Number one comment from clients is "that last place I went to didn't do that, scraped my nail too hard, buffed my natural nail etc..." Well to be quite frank, that is not a Shellac service. Cuticle Away is meant to gently remove the cuticle so that the nail plate doesn't need buffing. So unless you are using a file/buffer you are probably leaving a ton of dead tissue behind which causes lifting and that sadly damages the nail plate. Once again, not a proper Shellac service. See where I'm going with this?

I use cuticle away for first time clients but dry pep on subsequent visits.I own several types of cuticle pushers but the opi one is amazing at dry pushing cuticle so thats what I us gor dry pep.it removes stuff invisible to nakedd eye.and I NEVER buff nail when doing shellac!!

I've benn to a lot of shellac classes.n I was told cuticle away its not needed all the time. Maibe the first time then second time dry then dry then cuticle away.. Whenever u think cuticle away is needed use it. . But personally I always use cuticle away Nails look cleaner than the dry removal.

Cuticle could be invisible I was told so I use it all the time. I love to use it n I feel clients appreciate cleaner cuticles every few weeks they come back.

So if u feel all the cuticle is removed from the nail bed then U shouldn't have any problems with lifting. Try thicker on first coat ;)

I've benn to a lot of shellac classes.n I was told cuticle away its not needed all the time. Maibe the first time then second time dry then dry then cuticle away.. Whenever u think cuticle away is needed use it. . But personally I always use cuticle away Nails look cleaner than the dry removal.

Cuticle could be invisible I was told so I use it all the time. I love to use it n I feel clients appreciate cleaner cuticles every few weeks they come back.

So if u feel all the cuticle is removed from the nail bed then U shouldn't have any problems with lifting. Try thicker on first coat ;)

Just to clarify,I do not have a lifting problem,.I have chipping issues.clients are returning within a day or two complaining.

I use cuticle away for first time clients but dry pep on subsequent visits.I own several types of cuticle pushers but the opi one is amazing at dry pushing cuticle so thats what I us gor dry pep.it removes stuff invisible to nakedd eye.and I NEVER buff nail when doing shellac!!

I also generally do a dry pep. My clients are pretty good at aftercare which obviously helps. But I also use the OPI cuticle pusher and it is amazing. I've tried a few different ones but always go back to that xx

I also generally do a dry pep. My clients are pretty good at aftercare which obviously helps. But I also use the OPI cuticle pusher and it is amazing. I've tried a few different ones but always go back to that xx

Yes it is fab at scraping off unseen cuticle away.

Just to clarify,I do not have a lifting problem,.I have chipping issues.clients are returning within a day or two complaining.

Are they clients with very thin nails? X

Are they clients with very thin nails? X

Not noticeably thin.I know that shellac only gives long wear with healthy strong nails.

hi i have been doing shellac since november 2014 and i am having issues with chipping. its mostly hit and miss whether the shellac lasts with the clients. most have chipping before 2 weeks are up. now, i am aware that it depends on lots of things including aftercare being followed, nail condition, weather etc, but if i can go through my stages on pep and polish, can you please advise me where i can be going wrong?
all my products are bought from Ellisons and s2 so they are genuine. i have between 1 and 3 clients per day and my cnd lamp has about 85 hours left on it.(i also do artistic colour gloss so i alternate between my cnd lamp and a led lamp for the artistic application.)

for the CND process here is what i do:
1-cleanse hands
2-file nail with a crystal nail file to desired length. if the clients wants a lot filed off, i clip the nail first to desired length before shaping with the file.
3-i always do dry cuticle work unless i see a thick layer of cuticle skin covering parts of the nailbed. i use a metal cuticle pusher to push back cuticles gently scraping off any from the nailbed/nailplate. i have watched fingernailfixer so i know i am doing it correctly.
4-using a nail brush i brush off any flakes of dead cuticle that i have pushed away.
5-any hangnails removed with cuticle nipper. i try to avoid using them but will do if there is anything unsightly that should be removed.
6-scrubfresh. i scrub it onto each nail for several seconds, including the free edge.
7-i inspect the nail, and shape the cuticle again with the cuticle spoon pusher, just to ensure a good shape.
8-a quick wipe over with scrubfresh again.
9-i shake up the base coat, colour and top coat in the Robart hobby paint shaker for about 15 seconds.
10-i scrub the base coat thinly onto each nail and the free edge, then cure for 10 seconds in the lamp.
11-one thin colour coat including the free edge( it is sheer at this point so i know i am not applying it to thick.)clean up with an orangewood stick if needed. cure for 2 minutes.
12-repeat step 11 for the second colour coat.
13-i top coat carefully, checking that i have covered the entire colour with it including the free edge (and i never get any colour on the pad i use to remove the inhibition layer so i am doing it properly).
14-remove inhibition layer and solar oil. i advise the client of the aftercare at this point.

my applications are always extremely neat. i have attached some to show that i am not a messy worker so that cant be the cause.

you're not the only one who has problems, I just called sweetsquared whom I buy all my cnd shellac colours with and I am exasperated with a few of my colour i.e.banaclips yellow, cream puff, one of pale pinks can't remember the name but gave up the ghost on that one, I am told by the company to shake the bottles if need to because I am experiencing the colours being thick they are an absolute nightmare, I would pay front row tickets to a cnd trainer to do a full colour application on the thicker consistency colours I have, once I have managed to put a nice even thick coat then I have no problems with the longevity of the products its just they're a nightmare! I almost want to throw away the lot I have which a lot of moneys worth of stuff and just stick with Gelish, ink nails (llac) I have which I have no problem with.

If a client cannot go past 1 week without chipping, it is YOUR fault. Past one week, it is THEIR fault. With that, you should charge accordingly. And the more steps you take in your prep, the more you'll damage the nails, not to mention the more time it will eat.

Latest posts

Back