CND Shellac - The shelf sitters

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephR

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I thought I would start another thread inspired by a comment made on Rinn's thread called, Who do you think CND are?
Rinn mentioned Iced Coral was a shelf sitter for her until she tried it layered over Tropix. Now for me its the complete opposite. I use Iced Coral a lot. I don't think I've ever used it on it on own but here are a few of the most popular combinations. Gotcha with Iced Coral reminds me of those pinky, orange tulips. Purple Purple with Iced Coral reminds me of petrol. Cityscape and Iced Coral is a pretty nude colour. It's also very popular over Cake Pop, Lilac Longing and Azure Wish.

For my shelf sitters I find wearing the colours on myself, or trying out new nail art based around those colours gets a lot more interest. For example Blackpool rarely gets used but I now use it for artwork such as leopard print, zebra print etc. I used it as a base colour and layered it with Grapefruit Sparkle which has been a colour that's grabbed clients attention. I've only had one client actually chose it over the past few weeks but a lot of them have said in Autumn/Winter it'll be their first dark colour!

Zillionaire, Mother of Pearl, Silver VIP Status and Gold VIP Status also go through a faze when they aren't used much. When I ask my clients if they'd like a glitter coat over the top of their colours I think they get scared. They see my Rockstar colour pops and think that's what they are getting. Now don't get me wrong Rockstars are huge and a lot of my clients have them on a regular basis but I have a few who are more reserved but I've found a way around it. If they aren't sure I quickly whip out either the colour pop or the bottle to match the colour on their nails, for example Pink Bikini. I then paint on a bit of the four glitters mentioned to show them the end result. 9 times out of 10 they will then go for one of the glitter coats.

So what do you all do? Do you have shelf sitters that you can share ideas on how to budge them with us? How do you promote these colours to clients?

I look forward to hearing all your fabulous ideas and creations.

Steph x

Cocoa is my only shelf sitter really. Nobody ever seems to want it.

I don't do anything to promote it, I figure I use all the others so that can't be bad so poor old Cocoa just sits there.

I don't do anything to promote it, I figure I use all the others so that can't be bad so poor old Cocoa just sits there.

See cocoa has been a popular one for me too. Try layering grapefruit sparkle or moonlight and roses over it xx

Oh brilliant thread. Most of my Shellac colours have been shelf sitters for a while as I ended up really promoting Gelish. Since advertising Shellac more on my fb page and having my Shellac colour pops out they are being chosen more, although I think clients are still a little hesitant to try it out.

I can't wait to hear more ideas for shelf sitters, to give me more ideas for layering options to show them off too.

Personally out of the colours I have at the minute, I think Hotski is going to be a rarely used colour as most of my clients are pretty reserved.

Going to try those Iced Coral ideas as mine sits there gathering dust too! It's the greens for me, Limeade & Pretty Poison have been unused! I need to think of what to do with them! Nobody wants greens in my area!

Pretty Poison with VIP Gold is gorgeous!

I made also the experience, that clients are inspirated from the nails we wear.

Greetings from Germany :)

Cocoa + Tropix is very pretty!

It never used to be popular with my clients until I wore it with a silver glitter fade. Everyone went mad for it. Xx

Moonlight & roses is one of my shelf sitters. I've used it once over decadence and its sat there ever since xx

I'm hopeless at layering!
Do you apply one coat of each?
If you apply two of the lower colour and one of the upper colour do you charge more?
Yours,
Klueless of Kingsclere!

My shelf sitters are Cocoa , moonlight and roses and Hotski Tchotche (Hotski astounds me used twice in 18 months !)

If you apply two of the lower colour and one of the upper colour do you charge more?
Yours,
Klueless of Kingsclere!

Lynne most of the time I do 2 of the base colour and one of the layering colour. Only time I do one layer of the base is if I've got good coverage with the one or if I'm going for a softer look. For example iced cappuccino covers well with one coat so if I've a client wanting a nude I do one iced cappuccino with one beau or romantique. Other times I do one layer of when making pastels, so one studio white, one colour like tropix, limeade etc then one coat romantique. I find myself doing layering combinations more than just a plain colour recently xx

Moonlight and Roses is beautiful layered over most colours but especially Tropix. As for Hotski I agree rarely used as a stand alone colour but I do use it a lot to make a tiffany blue or burnish in the yellow additive to get a really vivid green x

I love layering and the end result! One problem I seem to run into is clients hesitation because they cant see the end result :( What have you done to display so they can choose their colour? I need ideas, I thought of painting plastic nail palettes but the problem is, the Shellac colours and combinations are endless. Most clients trust me to "pick" a colour as their end result but there are always new clients hesitant

Yours,
Klueless of Kingsclere!

Generally you would do two coats of your base colour. But if my base colour used had given me quite a good coverage (this can be down to application too) then i will maybe do one coat. But that also depends what's going on top, it's it's something very sheer like silver/gold VIP status then you would do 2 coats of the base. If it were something like moonlight & roses going over the top, that has a bit more coverage then I would maybe do one of each. But it all depends on what colours you are using and application too. Once you start you have more knowledge about it all and you soon know how many coats is needed of each. :)

moonlight and roses is one of my most popular colours! clients love it on its own, as the pink for french with a twist or layered over just about anything!!

my shelf sitters are blues, waterpark and azure wish...i can normally shift any colour by wearing it myself somehow but i just dont fancy the blues...maybe ill use them on my toes!!!

moonlight and roses is one of my most popular colours! clients love it on its own, as the pink for french with a twist or layered over just about anything!!

my shelf sitters are blues, waterpark and azure wish...i can normally shift any colour by wearing it myself somehow but i just dont fancy the blues...maybe ill use them on my toes!!!

Waterpark and azure wish are really popular with me, watermark goes so well with almost every skin tone it's gorgeous for summer, and azure wish is fab base for Cath Kidston designs

Our shellac sitters are cityscape, pretty poisen, and fedora. There a few others but these ones are used the least.

We do a offer of colour of the week with these particular colours, we choose one colour each week we wish to use up and not buy again for a reduced price

Xx

I did cocoa with Blackpool French for one of my ladies, it looked lovely just wish I'd taken a pic at the time ;-(

I love layering and the end result! One problem I seem to run into is clients hesitation because they cant see the end result :( What have you done to display so they can choose their colour? I need ideas, I thought of painting plastic nail palettes but the problem is, the Shellac colours and combinations are endless. Most clients trust me to "pick" a colour as their end result but there are always new clients hesitant

I have all my shellac on colour pops so if a client is after a particular layering combo or slightly different colour I take the colour pop that has the first colour on and add a small amount of the second to it. Client sees how the combo looks and it's easy to remove with d'sperse.

Latest posts

Back