CND UV lamps - solution may not agree with everyone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really cannot believe that experienced nail professionals are actually arguing with and doubting Marian Newman, the author of every good nail technicians bible The Complete Nail Technician.

A new low for this site.

You lot really need to get off your high horses.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions etc

Posting a photo like that scares people into believing that will happen when in reality the chance is 1 in 100000

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've not been scared by it but, I'm sensible enough to read posts properly and take time to understand what I'm reading. I'm sure that goes for most, if not all geeks!

Trying to create animosity and posting snidey little remarks isn't going to get people to use the product you use or are promoting. It makes you (and the others doing it) seem immature and childish.

Yes, people are annoyed and are b*tching and moaning about it but, ultimately, if they choose to wait it out and stay loyal to CND, that's their choice! No one can make them change their mind and people shouldn't try to either. We're all adults, we can make our own decisions.

I personally, would rather listen to the advice of pros who have been in the business for 20+ years, than take the advice from someone who has no qualifications listed! That, to me, is good business sense, not me being sucked into a conspiracy.

On another note, I do agree that S2 & CND could be a bit more forthcoming with information. I haven't seen any updates, only the couple that Samuel has posted on here. I'm not losing business from not having the lamp, I'm simply impatient and want to do the course but I can understand how frustrated and angry some of you are!

if uv polishes continues to be a health issue because of over exposure issues to uncured product and damage to the nail plate(removal etc), allergies,reactions, plus all the media negativity about traditional lamps,

the consumer market also being saturated with gel kits form leading brands professional brands have home kits, then i guess we will have another mma situation in certain states and country's

maybe all consumer products should be removed from the shelf if uv polishes are so problematic

the information even for me in this site is becoming more of scaremongering
and contradictory then ever

and all this because of one lamp (that is on it way then everyone will be happy again... in the meantime post that are bringing uv polish any brand in general, to its knees with only the negatives, i have had 1 of my clients today read this post and say so can gels do that then whats in that picture...? )

and Marian your books are very informative and of help to many

but you did lose me on the over curing part (no health issues there, other then if we are to believe media and some scientific opinions that uv lamps pose a risk )

shall we put pictures up of what the media have there we all use uv lamps

Last edited:
I really cannot believe that experienced nail professionals are actually arguing with and doubting Marian Newman, the author of every good nail technicians bible The Complete Nail Technician.

A new low for this site.

It is indeed a shame! I dread seeing this thread popping back up!
Even Apple make mistakes it's called technology!
Remember a few years ago they released the new phone and you could not get reception unless you put the plastic bumper case on!
It's not great but it's a situation that is trying to get sorted!
It's just a shame it's turned in to an ongoing battle 😞x

No safety issues with over curing as far as I know but there is a greater risk of service breakdown as the overlay can become brittle. Exposure to ambient light and sun light is much slower and over time so brittleness is avoided.

I would take a guess and say if people dared to be honest many many use a generic to cure their gel ! And out off all those people how many have had service breakdown or adverse reactions ??? I havnt looked into all insurances but I know mine for one doesn't state that I have to use a complete system to be covered, just a mani pedi qualification will suffice.

If cnd can't get their lamp in, just be a little devil and try another, it won't make your clients fingers drop off :D

No safety issues with over curing as far as I know but there is a greater risk of service breakdown as the overlay can become brittle. Exposure to ambient light and sun light is much slower and over time so brittleness is avoided.

thank you the health implication was my only concern xx

funny
also stick your gel enhancement in a tub of ice cream and use it as a spoon to scoop and eat it can become brittle really quick ....? (client of the week statement ) lol

thank you Marian i can continue to endorse your books xx

I realise that we are all passionate about this industry and emotions will run high, when there are issues impacting peoples business'. But The Nail Geek is already seeming like a ghost town, compared to normal; I would hate to see it torn apart. It just makes me sad :( xx

If CND/S2 properly communicated exactly what's going on and where the lamps actually are now there would be no need for threads like this. It is shocking that people are having to come on this site for tidbits of information. Obviously it is not cnd or S2 fault that there is a manufacturing fault with the lamp but the way they have handled the situation has been terrible. Proper communication has been sadly lacking here.

It's taken quite some time to read this thread ! I have a back up CND lamp and back up bulbs. I also have a back up towel caddie and wax heater. I'm afraid things go wrong and you have to prepare in a busy salon.
I would never dream of doing an Elemis facial and using another brand to replace a product. My clients trust me to treat them with the brand that they have paid for : )

I am a bit out of the loop as I'm not in the UK anymore and my CND lamp is fine but this topic, with some of the posts, makes me glad I can do my own nails knowing I'm using my system specific lamp, products and procedures. I don't think I will ever go and treat myself to a pamper session in a salon again as there seem to be far too many techs prepared to risk their clients well being with some very flawed logic. Having to deviate in an emergency because you have no choice is one thing, to do it as a rule is another.

Really shocked at some of this topic :sad:

I am a bit out of the loop as I'm not in the UK anymore and my CND lamp is fine but this topic, with some of the posts, makes me glad I can do my own nails knowing I'm using my system specific lamp, products and procedures. I don't think I will ever go and treat myself to a pamper session in a salon again as there seem to be far too many techs prepared to risk their clients well being with some very flawed logic. Having to deviate in an emergency because you have no choice is one thing, to do it as a rule is another.

Really shocked at some of this topic :sad:

This doesn't make sense, you say its ok to risk it if necessary surely of you were so concerned about adverse reactions you wouldn't chance it full stop ???

This doesn't make sense, you say its ok to risk it if necessary surely of you were so concerned about adverse reactions you wouldn't chance it full stop ???

I didn't say I would, I was referring to the topic in general x

Ok x but I still can't see how many people have said they'd risk using a generic lamp but wouldn't use one full time,it doesn't make sense, I think if people were honest there are tons and tons that don't use their systems lamps.

........... I think if people were honest there are tons and tons that don't use their systems lamps.

I hope thats not so. I have two lamps, both CND. One is my old Brisa lamp which I keep for back up. It would never occur to me to buy a non CND lamp for Shellac or the Brisa range and I really hope that is the same most techs. X

I didn't say I would, I was referring to the topic in general x

Sorry my mistake x

I think its strange that people will take a chance on a lamp that isn't for their system for 1 or 100 treatments but not forever ! I think a lot do without any service breakdown or allergies etc, but wouldn't admit it !

Ok x but I still can't see how many people have said they'd risk using a generic lamp but wouldn't use one full time,it doesn't make sense, I think if people were honest there are tons and tons that don't use their systems lamps.

I think geeg explained it well. Think about how overexposure and allergies develop and it should make sense to you. ie. each time you use the 'wrong' lamp the risk increases.

I think geeg explained it well. Think about how overexposure and allergies develop and it should make sense to you. ie. each time you use the 'wrong' lamp the risk increases.

Of course I understand that it makes sense, I have been long enough in the buisness !!! But what I'm saying is if your that concerned you wouldn't take ANY risk would you,, not even One set of nails ! I'm not just on about the cnd lamp gate thing I'm talking generally about any system.

Actually I'm going to delete my comment as I feel this will end up as an argument and life is too short and too much fun to argue ! But I still stand by the fact that if using a non system lamp was sooo worry some and caused sooo many allergic reactions then we would hear much more about it, on here and through the media, if a company can make money, ANY company, by saying you MUST use our lamp then good on them ! Business is business. Have a good evening all, what's left of it anyway ! X

Last edited:
I don't use a gelish lamp, they recommend you do but I don't and a close friend that has been using Bio and Shellac for a very long time doesn't use the systems lamps, she is well known in the buisness and does very well !

There, my name is Lilly and I'm a non system lamp user ! :biggrin: x

She who dares wins !

Well that's your choice but it's not what I would do :) x

Sent from my C6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back