CND UV lamps - solution may not agree with everyone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the statistics for this damage ? i think cnd have had a rough time on here lately but if your unlucky enough to have a faulty lamp and no spare what choice do you have but to use a generic lamp ?

What'a the worst that could happen? Take a look below, never mind a possible law suit.

The facts are that all UV cured product 'appear to the naked eye to be cured' even when they are only 50% cured.

When products continue to be only 50% cured then over exposure, and allergy caused by un-cured reactive product can happen. It looks like this below. ... This photo was posted today on another nail forum by someone using Blue Sky. They were asking why???

This is allergy.

This is also what happens when you repeatedly use a product that is not fully cured, but you think it 'looks' OK. No one can SEE full cure with their eyes. Which is why CND insist on using the lamp that they KNOW cures their system, CND Shellac. That, my friends, is being responsible.

Why take the chance on using a lamp that you cannot tell cures whatever it is that you are using? Is it the money to buy the right lamp? If someone sues you for causing a condition like this photo shows it could cost allot more than just buying the right lamp.

Allergy does not happen overnight ... An allergic reaction is the result of repeatedly wearing product that is not fully cured. Come on ! Use your heads. It's not worth taking the risk.

Why could this not just be caused by the ingredients in the product? The same as certain ingredients in hair colour some people are affected some aren't, why specifically would it be just because you're not using the correct lamp? Am I correct in thinking if the product doesn't cure correctly for whatever reason it would come off very quickly?

By the way - I have a happy working CND lamp for use with my original Shellac polish.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yikes! That looks horrible, glad I only did it once on my pinkie!

so did the lady paint it on the bottom of her fingers instead of the nail surface.......? i believe blue sky sells millions of bottles all over the world and south east Asia is its biggest market and is used successfully this looks more like chemical burn more likely from the acetone removal but hay it is a picture would need more scientific evidence

if this can occur from uv products any brand well then i think there needs to be warnings on the bottles so all the consumer brands being sold out there to the public are aware of this

What are the statistics for this damage ? i think cnd have had a rough time on here lately but if your unlucky enough to have a faulty lamp and no spare what choice do you have but to use a generic lamp ?

Things like this do not happen over night. That's why it's called over-exposure .. REPEATED exposure to uncured product. Some, maybe not all, will have a reaction. People's tolerance varies as with anything. The lamp shortage at CND has been a temporary blip .. A matter of weeks, very soon to be rectified as has been said.

so did the lady paint it on the bottom of her fingers instead of the nail surface.......? i believe blue sky sells millions of bottles all over the world and south east Asia is its biggest market and is used successfully this looks more like chemical burn more likely from the acetone removal but hay it is a picture would need more scientific evidence

if this can occur from uv products any brand well then i think there needs to be warnings on the bottles so all the consumer brands being sold out there to the public are aware of this

Katie, it is obvious that when the responsible manufacturers give warnings to use the lamp that cures the product fully, the ignorant shout CONSPIRACY!! The ignorant do not care to learn ... Didn't you know? They know it all already.

You can see if you look for it that more and more technicians are suffering with allergic reactions to products ... Wearing gloves, masks etc. more than ever before since gel polishes came on the scene. Not everyone writes about their experiences. Not everyone's experiences get this severe. There are all sorts of in between conditions.

Listen or don't ... It's up to everyone to use the knowledge they are given to make the best choices for their clients ... Or not.

Last edited:
you are bang on there re technicians getting more allergies since the luanch of all branded uv polish it is just i don't feel it nice to mention specific brand as it is happening with all brands i

you are bang on there re technicians getting more allergies since the luanch of all branded uv polish it is just i don't feel it nice to mention specific brand as it is happening with all brands i
I haven't mentioned a specific brand. I have just pointed out an image of one persons problem with a knock off non profession product .. It's not a pro brand it's a cheap knock off product available to anyone .. But if it offends you I will delete the name now.

the thing is all products are available to anyone nowadays

What'a the worst that could happen? Take a look below, never mind a possible law suit.

The facts are that all UV cured product 'appear to the naked eye to be cured' even when they are only 50% cured.

When products continue to be only 50% cured then over exposure, and allergy caused by un-cured reactive product can happen. It looks like this below. ... This photo was posted today on another nail forum by someone using A knock off cheap copy of a non professional product that masquerades as a well known brand and is available easily to the public.. They were asking why???

This is allergy.

This is also what happens when you repeatedly use a product that is not fully cured, but you think it 'looks' OK. No one can SEE full cure with their eyes. Which is why CND insist on using the lamp that they KNOW cures their system, CND Shellac. That, my friends, is being responsible.

Why take the chance on using a lamp that you cannot tell cures whatever it is that you are using? Is it the money to buy the right lamp? If someone sues you for causing a condition like this photo shows it could cost allot more than just buying the right lamp.

Allergy does not happen overnight ... An allergic reaction is the result of repeatedly wearing product that is not fully cured. Come on ! Use your heads. It's not worth taking the risk.

I agree that the cnd lamp should be used along with the whole system and your post clearly shows why.
But if my cnd lamp broke and I couldn't get hold of one (temporarily) then I would use a different lamp until mine was fixed. Common sense to do so really. Client need not know.

Trouble is geeg, if people are losing business they're going to have to take a chance ? If it's using a generic lamp temporarily or losing your business, I know what I would do.

I'm not stirring, just interested to see people's opinions or risk taking ( I am a risk taker :Scared:, )

I do feel for cnd tho I think your taking a hammering over the lamp thing.

Trouble is geeg, if people are losing business they're going to have to take a chance ? If it's using a generic lamp temporarily or losing your business, I know what I would do.

I'm not stirring, just interested to see people's opinions or risk taking ( I am a risk taker :Scared:, )

I do feel for cnd tho I think your taking a hammering over the lamp thing.

Lilly :hug:, I would do the same as you if I had to because for most it would not involve more than a few treatments and I'd double the cure time or more to try and make sure I didn't risk anyone's health as I'm sure you will have done.

There are ways to minimise the risk, agreed? If you know your 'onions'. X

Isn't it the under-exposure rather than the over-exposure which is more dangerous? Correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what I thought.

the thing is not everyone knows onions even when there eyes are watering

example a family member came to see me i gave them a gel polish and they went back home which was in another county (150 miles away)

so i had told her the brand and the removal process (so she could inform her tech when it was time for removal)so she went to the tech stated the brand stated the removal the tech stated she had trained with another brand and only knew how to remove that brands polish .....?please..?
so what did she do she said i will buff them down and just go over them....?

another lady, during a demo a pro beauty last year, a tech was demonstrating how to remove one nail that had been applied with gel polish ,he wrapped one and proceeded to soak ..?then a lady said so would you do that with all ten then ......(what?) ,what i said is no you do one and all ten will just drop off ... oh she said? ...no they won't of course you have to wrap all ten i said ...are you even a tech i asked her ,yes she said its just i use another brand ....

altough a lot of techs are very clever i am not convinced there is a balance and i guess i will put my tin hat on now ....lol:)xx

Oh yes, I've heard some scary stories about what some other techs do. There's a salon in my village. This salon has been around for donkeys years and they charge high prices as its a very affluent area.

I did a Gelish mani on a client and while I was away on hols she wanted it removed so went to said salon. Guess what? They peeled it off. Just took a corner and peeled away, along with a layer of her natural nail!! I was completely gobsmacked.

Isn't it the under-exposure rather than the over-exposure which is more dangerous? Correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what I thought.

Do you mean under-curing? Over exposure in this sense means when under-cured product comes into contact with the skin, and it is that which can lead to allergies x

Do you mean under-curing? Over exposure in this sense means when under-cured product comes into contact with the skin, and it is that which can lead to allergies x

Oh ok. I get it. Thanks.

I don't understand how other companies (some very well respected) get away with allowing techs to use generic UV lamps to cure their product. If this type of reaction is an actual risk of using a lamp not specifically designed for that product, why aren't we hearing about these types of reactions all the time from gelish users who follow manufacturers instructions and use a generic 36 UV lamp? I understand the risk of this kind of reaction from using an off brand, non professional product without an MSDS. I'm just really curious about why we aren't seeing these kinds of reactions (or why we aren't warned about them) from using a generic UV lamp to cure gelish or other brands that specify only wattage.

Want to hear a true story of over exposure? About 4 years ago I got brought a fel polish kit and tried and tested it all out whilst training, ooh what fun, a low watt uv lamp and some questionable gels what cpuld wrong?

Fast forward two years and I can't wear hard gels. Or soak off gels. And 99% of acrylic systems. I only played around with those gels for a few months and the repercussions are for life. If I even have any contact with hard gels or lower range acrylic systems my hands become inflamed, blistered and bone itching for weeks.

So just think about the undercuring you might be doing. Unless you love taking anti histamines and steriod cream daily. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I did a Gelish mani on a client and while I was away on hols she wanted it removed so went to said salon. Guess what? They peeled it off. Just took a corner and peeled away, along with a layer of her natural nail!! I was completely gobsmacked.

I have had this done to me too. By the former manager of a very well known and expensive spa. What is worse is that she has passed this method of removal on to one of her colleagues who is now employed by the college where I am doing my Beauty Level 2.

She demonstrated Shellac to our class, using a non branded lamp and making other mistakes, for example wiping the tacky layer with scrub fresh. I asked her if she had trained with CND and she said no.
Since then, she has targeted me, giving me poor marks and being unfair in her judgements of my work.

She also told the whole class that nails need to breathe and that acrylics are bad for nails and shouldn't be used. I nearly choked!

The real shame is that my fellow students are going to believe this ***** because SHE is the one wearing the tutors uniform and I am "just" a student (albeit that knows better). Tragic!

Last edited by a moderator:
Want to hear a true story of over exposure? About 4 years ago I got brought a fel polish kit and tried and tested it all out whilst training, ooh what fun, a low watt uv lamp and some questionable gels what cpuld wrong?

Fast forward two years and I can't wear hard gels. Or soak off gels. And 99% of acrylic systems. I only played around with those gels for a few months and the repercussions are for life. If I even have any contact with hard gels or lower range acrylic systems my hands become inflamed, blistered and bone itching for weeks.

So just think about the undercuring you might be doing. Unless you love taking anti histamines and steriod cream daily. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app[/

I'm a hairdresser that became suddenly allergic to different products, sore itchy skin, blisters etc, I was on steroids and now have to use steroid creams but it wasn't for any particular reason, my dermatologist said it can just happen out of the blue, no rhyme or reason, just like how I suddenly became allergic to my family cat !

What I'm saying is that you could use a washing powder, hand cream, body lotion etc and have a reaction and become allergic, just because your problems started whilst you were playing with gel doesn't necessarily mean that it was a rubbish lamp or under curing that caused your reaction.

Latest posts

Back