CND UV lamps - solution may not agree with everyone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To answer your question .. It is quite hard for anyone to over cure their gel and you won't do it by doing your nail art so don't worry. Gel that is over cured goes brittle and it would take days under a UV lamp which is not going to happen. Think of how long our gels are exposed in daylight; weeks on end! Brittleness is not a hazard to your client the way under curing a product is. A product that has not fully reacted (cured) and become inert is a product that is going to react with what it is near.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I've kept out of this thread so far but I have to say that it is so clear how many people really do not understand their science! The demonstration of this is shocking!

Over curing may result in a service breakdown (which is why it needs to be explained to clients) but under curing has far more implications!!

Why do so many people think that just by looking at it is OK?? Why do SO many people say that 'I've used xxxx and have had no problem'???? It's unbelievable that these people think that there is not an overexposure situation brewing!

It's horrible that this situation is causing such grief but there is no piece of equipment that can be perfect 100% of the time. Sometimes **** happens! It is a manufacturers nightmare. A bigger nightmare for users.

If every technician truly understood their chemistry then they would understand how to deal with it safely in the short term.

How many have had a breakdown of electrical equipment? Who has had a washing machine break? A hair dryer blow up? It happens!! If your business relies on your equipment then why do you not have a back up? How many have found that your nail adhesive has blocked?

If you business relies on products/equipment why would you not have a back up? Yes it costs more but electrical equipment is not infallible! Sometimes it breaks!

Undercuring and overexposure is FAR more important that saving money and not investing in your business! Have a back up!

I read the posts that describe their short cuts 'because they've had no problems' and despair at the lack of understanding!

hi the lamp issue is what it is(it is the manufacturers guide lines and i fully understand why )

please can you give more info on over curing and its dangers(not possible service breakdown but the dangers allergic reactions ect )
Can you over-cure gel? - Technique - NAILS Magazine

and yet the sun can cure bio seaweed gel

http://www.schoonscientific.com/downloads/tech-articles/article-7-Secrets-to-Curing.pdf

manufacturers state on some darker colors or when doing a french cure longer ...? white can take longer to cure but the pink with it does not so over curing you state

you can get a lamp that gives way to much out put for a particular gel
ibd intense seal cure it in a 36 watt lamp and you got yellowing heat spikes
cure it in a 9 watt you got a nice cure, i agree you need the right lamp for the right gel

over curing is more of a product break down not allergic reactions/danger to health as far as i have ever known no

you will have to stop the girls doing flash curing for minutes on end there are tons of YouTube videos of this from many and taught on course

i was also on the understanding once the product had cured fully it cannot cure any more it is cured there for cannot over cure

please take my question seriously and not arrogant as i am very much interested in the facts of over curing a product and its dangers only (not yellowing/not heat spikes/ product shine ect )

please take it politely
thank you in advance kind regards

I'm really quite astonished at the way this thread has developed.

It amazes me how there a few out there who clearly love to get the wooden spoon out and stir things, and, what is even more amazing, is the fact they are not even offering nail services!

Come on girls, how about putting all this effort into your businesses, (a few are complaining how quiet you are just now), and stop looking for cheap stabs at true professionals.

gigi i thought i was gone on that one thank you for your very knowledgeable answer xxxxx

so did the lady paint it on the bottom of her fingers instead of the nail surface.......? i believe blue sky sells millions of bottles all over the world and south east Asia is its biggest market and is used successfully this looks more like chemical burn more likely from the acetone removal but hay it is a picture would need more scientific evidence

if this can occur from uv products any brand well then i think there needs to be warnings on the bottles so all the consumer brands being sold out there to the public are aware of this

Chemical overexposure can cause burning to the skin, and nerve endings. Now, these chemicals needn't be in a high enough concentration to be immediately toxic and may seem fine when used a few times, but through repeated, long-term exposure can cause horrific damage. For example, breathing in dust fine in quartz can cause irreparable lung damage.

Undercured product is a prime cause of this. Another lamp MIGHT cure gel properly, but you cannot SEE undercure. Gels at around 50% look cured, but are clearly not. I once accidentally got clear gel on my laptop. It hardened as it was in the path of light and my fingertip was quite tingly by the end of the day. It was barely visible and took me a while to work out!

It should absolutely be made wider knowledge, and that is why CND have always advocated using the whole system as a system. Yet there is always a backlash.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm really quite astonished at the way this thread has developed.

It amazes me how there a few out there who clearly love to get the wooden spoon out and stir things, and, what is even more amazing, is the fact they are not even offering nail services!

Come on girls, how about putting all this effort into your businesses, (a few are complaining how quiet you are just now), and stop looking for cheap stabs at true professionals.

Well that was obviously directed at me so shall I respond, firstly Iv got no wooden spoon out, so can someone who was going to invest with this company not question anything?

I do not think that I have any less right to comment on here than a "true professional" so who's having cheap stabs now,

Good on you's for all sticking together,
I'm really trying hard to stop my fingers typing rude responses, it feels like no one has the right to voice their opinion and go against the grain.
I wasn't rude or argumentative like some of the responses Iv received

What makes you think I meant you?

I'm not going to become embroiled in this, I have politely expressed my views.

I wish you every success with your decisions.

hi the lamp issue is what it is(it is the manufacturers guide lines and i fully understand why )

please can you give more info on over curing and its dangers(not possible service breakdown but the dangers allergic reactions ect )
Can you over-cure gel? - Technique - NAILS Magazine

and yet the sun can cure bio seaweed gel

http://www.schoonscientific.com/downloads/tech-articles/article-7-Secrets-to-Curing.pdf

manufacturers state on some darker colors or when doing a french cure longer ...? white can take longer to cure but the pink with it does not so over curing you state

you can get a lamp that gives way to much out put for a particular gel
ibd intense seal cure it in a 36 watt lamp and you got yellowing heat spikes
cure it in a 9 watt you got a nice cure, i agree you need the right lamp for the right gel

over curing is more of a product break down not allergic reactions/danger to health as far as i have ever known no

you will have to stop the girls doing flash curing for minutes on end there are tons of YouTube videos of this from many and taught on course

i was also on the understanding once the product had cured fully it cannot cure any more it is cured there for cannot over cure

please take my question seriously and not arrogant as i am very much interested in the facts of over curing a product and its dangers only (not yellowing/not heat spikes/ product shine ect )

please take it politely
thank you in advance kind regards

I appreciate your genuine question. This is the person who I believe. Over cure isn't as much as an issue as under curing but should be considered.

Schoon Scientific - Doug Schoon, scientist and nail industry expert provides educational articles

Wow. What happened to the Constructive part of criticism? Nothing wrong with questioning and debating as long as it is professional and constructive. Sadly, I largely see a whirlwind of knee jerk emotional responses happening on all sides.

Recess over please.

To build on the response from Mum: Overcuring is a performance issue. Undercuring is a health risk for you and the customer.

When you ask about different pigments and their reactions under light...

... this is very true. I can't speak for all systems, however I can tell you that each colour of Shellac is individually formulated with different amounts of pigment and photoinitators that control curing under exposure to the CND Shellac lamp. In other words, each colour is fine tuned literally by hand for safety and performance.

HTHs

Get to bed you guys :hug: it's late and tomorrow is Friday! I appreciate the support and I don't mind questions that rock the boat either .. Honestly. ... Of course questions are welcome but I don't welcome being attacked nor aggression and if anything is calculated to get me riled, it is having words put in my mouth. You know, I am always available to talk to by private message if I have confused anyone rather than being challenged on the forum ... Please take advantage of that and we won't need to stay up so late at night :hug: It's 1am where I am and I need my beauty sleep.

Night all. X

I appreciate your genuine question. This is the person who I believe. Over cure isn't as much as an issue as under curing but should be considered.

Schoon Scientific - Doug Schoon, scientist and nail industry expert provides educational articles

no issue health wise then possible product breakdown(possible) no allergies no health dangers finger will not drop of ect

have to go with gigi on this one and i am sure there are millions of people that have been over cured (still if the product is cured how can it continue to cure )high watt lamp for a gel that requires a low watt fully understand
(you will get, heat spike ,yellowing ,even a burning sensation breifly,lack of shine)

but the sun is out in Vegas and fingers are not exploding due to over curing lol
yellowing maybe xx

I have to say as a training tech who is deciding which brand to invest in the whole lamp issue has left me with a bad taste.

The issue hasnt been dealt with very well. I was still umming and ahhing over a few systems to invest in but my mind has been made up tonight.
Im sure im not the only member who feels that its hard to ask certain questions and express certain views.
Yes im not qualifed yet but I will be soon and I will be entering the industry and will be part of the new generation of nail tech anc I dont think that anyone should be shot down for asking questions or having concerns.

I have made a decision that the brand I wish to invest in has to be a brand I trust in and for me this wont be CND.

I will prob get accused of stirring inlight of all the recent issues but I am expressing my opinon as a training tech and anyone should be allowed to do so on an impartial forum dedicated to beauty industry professionsals.

no issue health wise then possible product breakdown(possible) no allergies no health dangers finger will not drop of ect

have to go with gigi on this one and i am sure there are millions of people that have been over cured (still if the product is cured how can it continue to cure )high watt lamp for a gel that requires a low watt fully understand
(you will get, heat spike ,yellowing ,even a burning sensation breifly,lack of shine)

but the sun is out in Vegas and fingers are not exploding due to over curing lol
yellowing maybe xx

Perhaps it is easier to think of over curing as ageing. Like a lemonade bottle left on the beach ... It is soft and pliable when you first buy it but leave it exposed to the sun and it will go as brittle as glass and yellow in just a short while. Sort of the same thing that happens with gels but over a much shorter space of time with the bottle on the beach.

Last edited:
Perhaps it is easier to think of over curing as ageing. Like a lemonade bottle left on the beach ... It is soft and pliable when you first buy it but leave it exposed to the sun and it will go as brittle as glass and yellow in just a short while. Sort of the same thing that happens with gels.

Thought you had gone to bed!!!!!!!

XX Good night XX

would take a while though and a lot of time under a uv lamp xx

would take a while though and a lot of uv xx
That depends on the quality of the gel .. But yes for a quality brand it would take a long time.

Well that was obviously directed at me so shall I respond, firstly Iv got no wooden spoon out, so can someone who was going to invest with this company not question anything?

I do not think that I have any less right to comment on here than a "true professional" so who's having cheap stabs now,

Good on you's for all sticking together,
I'm really trying hard to stop my fingers typing rude responses, it feels like no one has the right to voice their opinion and go against the grain.
I wasn't rude or argumentative like some of the responses Iv received

Can I just ask have you trained with this company, or are you trained in any nail treatments , or are you just considering it ?

Since I live in Canada I have no beefs with S2 and would not want to be in their shoes during this time. However CND has rubbed me the wrong way. If you choose to use a different lamp incorporate this into your disclosure speech. I always start out with the "Do you have any known allergies to.." etc etc, then carry on to how shellac is not for everyone, it's not bullet proof etc etc, then go into the "just so you understand this is not a cnd lamp blah blah, notify me immediately if you experience this or have any premature chipping blah blah blah. Are you ok with this? If they say yes then I proceed, if not they get Gelish. My speech normally takes 2-3mins, if they are brand new it's a little longer because I spend more time on the allergies. Everyone gets the speech, regardless of how long they have been coming to me. I disclose everything, on my real estate side if I don't disclose I get sued lol so it's habit. I only have a small amount of cnd left then it's all Gelish. Sorry cnd, but the suffering people in the UK pushed me over the edge.

yellowing maybe xx

Vegas, so lucky! We are visiting in September..

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back