CND-we need a Shellac matte top coat!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curvygirl

Reaction score
Just seen this and I am DEVASTATED...

530527_576731709053728_1980071608_n.jpg

I regularly get asked for Matte Shellac manicures - but knowing that that Gelish Techs now have this in their armoury just makes me wanna cry :sad:

we were told no matte Shellac topcoat was due for release, surely if Gelish can formulate a matte, CND can too?

I use Gelissimo and have had a matte for ages now x maybe try that?

I use Gelissimo and have had a matte for ages now x maybe try that?

i don't want to bring in a new system.. i'm a Shellac girl :wink2:

You can create a matte effect by buffing the finish with a Koala Buffer ... this was demonstrated at The Event earlier in the year.

You can create a matte effect by buffing the finish with a Koala Buffer ... this was demonstrated at The Event earlier in the year.

With respect Noodle, you're missing the point.
I already do the buffing but don't want to have to buff anymore.

In fact it was me that asked the question about Matte Topcoat at The Event. (I wrote the question down on the paper and threw it into our bucket which was then read out) Dr Dave's response made sense at the time... but now other systems are managing to formulate them?

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to buff either to be honest.

I asked cnd and Samantha sweet on twitter about it and Samantha has replied saying that there won't be a matte top coat. Shellac was designed to be shiny and use the buffing technique to achieve the look :(

Maybe this is where the lack of gel and your increased solvents are a drawback?!
Don't be jel, get gelished 😘

Buffing is cheaper and quicker for the same effect, why the need to buy another product when lightly buffing off the shine works just as well?

I honestly could not be bothered buffing either too, but I have the opi matt top coat and have never used it, none of my clients want matt nails, and I don't like them

Generally if you're buffing to get the matte effect you use 2 layers of topcoat through, so it's not really cheaper as you use more product. Although one of the things I love about shellac is how shiny it is, it would be nice to have this an option :)

I charge for my time, a matt top coat would be far more cost effective than buffing which never looks that fantastic close up anyway. I too would love a shellac matt top coat.

Buffing is cheaper and quicker for the same effect, why the need to buy another product when lightly buffing off the shine works just as well?

I really must be missing something, how would buffing be quicker than not buffing??

I'm assuming that a theoretical matt top coat would be a similar price to the current shellac top coat and would be used instead of it, so the cost per service would be the same or cheaper (no need for a buffer and no need for two top coat layers). Ok, yes, you have to buy a separate product but if you think you have the demand for it then it isn't actually costing you more.

I would add my voice to those calling for a matt shellac top coat. I love the look on myself, and I do have clients that request it (but sometimes don't want to pay extra for the time it takes to buff). I would also be great for man manicures and natural manicures for my nhs ladies, both of which I currently buff. If CND brought it out I would buy it.

Matte Shellac mani with current TC:
2 coats of TC
2x2mins curing time
15 mins buffing time (I'm a perfectionist)

If we had a matte Shellac TC:
1 coat of TC
1 x 2 mins curing time

Now, I'm no brain surgeon but the second option sure looks like a quicker service....?

Yes, I must admit I am surprised Shellac doesn't have a matte top coat. The matte look tends to be a very fashion-forward look and I associate (thanks to massive advertising :biggrin:) CND Shellac with runway, couture, fashion forward nail styling. That OPI and Gelish have a matte top coat and Shellac does not just seems wrong to me. I hope they hear this a get it to us soon (along with LED cure, and a slammin' CND LED lamp!).

2 coats of TC
2x2mins curing time

1 coat of TC
1 x 2 mins curing time

Now, I'm no brain surgeon but the second option sure looks like a quicker service....?

To be fair, as a gelish user myself, the top coat and that of opi (which i also own) are not fully matte. they're more satin finish so i still prefer the buffing over the top coat. Just my two cents worth :p

2 coats of TC
2x2mins curing time

1 coat of TC
1 x 2 mins curing time

Fair point, well made.
I have only ever buffed after 1 coat of topcoat, and I don't take as long as 15 minutes to lightly buff off the shine.
Not that many of my clients want a matte look anyway. The longest part of the service though is painting on a pattern with the shiny topcoat again, so that would be the same no matter what method was used to go matte.

It is all still a bit of a moot point as CND don't do one anyway.

Ive never been asked for matte polish in my normal manis or shellac.

I think it would be a waste of money buying a bottle as my clients like there Shellac SHINYYY.

Good for CND for sticking to their guns and not following the crowd

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I really must be missing something, how would buffing be quicker than not buffing??

I'm assuming that a theoretical matt top coat would be a similar price to the current shellac top coat and would be used instead of it, so the cost per service would be the same or cheaper (no need for a buffer and no need for two top coat layers). Ok, yes, you have to buy a separate product but if you think you have the demand for it then it isn't actually costing you more.

I would add my voice to those calling for a matt shellac top coat. I love the look on myself, and I do have clients that request it (but sometimes don't want to pay extra for the time it takes to buff). I would also be great for man manicures and natural manicures for my nhs ladies, both of which I currently buff. If CND brought it out I would buy it.

I know that CND doesn't like to give you things you can create yourself, that's why they're such a fan of layering. It also helps to serve the professional because it's much less product to buy. Why spend the money with a 150 colors when you could do the same with only 60? It only causes the nail professional to loose money and CND is all about serving the nail professional.

I love CND and what it stands for, but I do see your point. Not only are you using an extra top coat which means more money per service (albeit it's probably only a very small amt of money), but you have to spend time buffing the second coat, which means even more money lost for the technician. You perform a matt manicure 2-3 times and you've already paid for a bottle of a matt top coat. Even if you do charge the client, the client isn't always happy to pay for all these extras. Just like some clients don't want to pay extra for BL under Vinylux to cover ridges on their toes, when they didn't have that issue with other polishes or they were at least able to use a ridge filler. The fact that vinylux lasts 7 days doesn't come into play here because all polish lasts ages on toes.

The same thing happened with the whole LED issue. CND took FOREVER to jump on the bandwagon (and we still have to wait until next year for one to come out) saying that a uv lamp worked just as well. But even if you couldn't beat the 2 min. cure on a uv lamp, you could save THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS (pounds?) with an LED lamp because their power never weakens and you never need to change the bulbs. So if they would save so much money for the nail professional, and cnd is all about serving the nail professional, why o why didn't they bring out an LED lamp earlier???

Like I said, I love CND, but I sometimes I don't understand why they do what they do. I don't work for them so maybe there's a piece of the puzzle that I'm missing.

I haven't been asked for matte yet either. But quick question for those who do it by buffing. Does this not break the seal of the top coat and make it more prone to picking up stains?

Laura xx

Latest posts

Back