CND-we need a Shellac matte top coat!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I must admit I am surprised Shellac doesn't have a matte top coat. The matte look tends to be a very fashion-forward look and I associate (thanks to massive advertising :biggrin:) CND Shellac with runway, couture, fashion forward nail styling. That OPI and Gelish have a matte top coat and Shellac does not just seems wrong to me. I hope they hear this a get it to us soon (along with LED cure, and a slammin' CND LED lamp!).

I am guessing, because you CAN create ANYTHING with what CND offers. Why would they invest into a fad? There will be something new coming out and everyone will want it, you can achieve the look and not have to spend additional money for those clients who like short trends.

PS. I never use 2 top coats when going after the matte effect, I have found it unnecessary

I know that CND doesn't like to give you things you can create yourself, that's why they're such a fan of layering. It also helps to serve the professional because it's much less product to buy. Why spend the money with a 150 colors when you could do the same with only 60? It only causes the nail professional to loose money and CND is all about serving the nail professional.

I love CND and what it stands for, but I do see your point. Not only are you using an extra top coat which means more money per service (albeit it's probably only a very small amt of money), but you have to spend time buffing the second coat, which means even more money lost for the technician. You perform a matt manicure 2-3 times and you've already paid for a bottle of a matt top coat. Even if you do charge the client, the client isn't always happy to pay for all these extras. Just like some clients don't want to pay extra for BL under Vinylux to cover ridges on their toes, when they didn't have that issue with other polishes or they were at least able to use a ridge filler. The fact that vinylux lasts 7 days doesn't come into play here because all polish lasts ages on toes.

The same thing happened with the whole LED issue. CND took FOREVER to jump on the bandwagon (and we still have to wait until next year for one to come out) saying that a uv lamp worked just as well. But even if you couldn't beat the 2 min. cure on a uv lamp, you could save THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS (pounds?) with an LED lamp because their power never weakens and you never need to change the bulbs. So if they would save so much money for the nail professional, and cnd is all about serving the nail professional, why o why didn't they bring out an LED lamp earlier???

Like I said, I love CND, but I sometimes I don't understand why they do what they do. I don't work for them so maybe there's a piece of the puzzle that I'm missing.

Product development meets with so many complications for all companies, I think your response is great and you make very valid points. Have you perhaps thought that CND may well have considered an LED light as an option when first developing shellac and discounted the possibility based on cost of the lamp and being able to sell the system to techs at an attractive price?
I have worked in NPD for several years and the total package cost would have been a major factor in a successful launch of something as revolutionary as shellac, which it was when it first came to market.

What I see is that CND also had the Brisa gel enhancement range at the time of launch of Shellac to consider and perhaps the budget didn't stretch so far, or time prevented them from reformulating the Brisa so all CND systems would work with LED as opposed to UV. This might have been why they went with UV cure across the range and a fancy new UV lamp for the shellac launch to saves costs in other ranges in their product portfolio.

I love the OPI gel color LED lamp it is amazing, but it arrived 18 months after Shellac had already established itself in the market and didn't cure the already popular OPI Axxium range. To me that is a disjointed range and shows a potentially inefficient range review prior to OPI developing the system to fit with their existing range and also perhaps a slight disregard to the expense to their loyal professional users would have to go to, to be able to carry all the OPI services.

This is not a negative post BTW, I just thought I would give another dimension to the discussion..... a very interesting thread :Love:

I haven't been asked for matte yet either. But quick question for those who do it by buffing. Does this not break the seal of the top coat and make it more prone to picking up stains?

Laura xx

that is why many techs apply 2 coats of topcoat - significantly less risk of breaking the seal during buffing..

I am guessing, because you CAN create ANYTHING with what CND offers. Why would they invest into a fad? There will be something new coming out and everyone will want it, you can achieve the look and not have to spend additional money for those clients who like short trends.

PS. I never use 2 top coats when going after the matte effect, I have found it unnecessary

While you can create anything from what CND offers, there is the matter of efficiency and consistency to be considered. That's why, although you can layer or use Additives to create new colors (which requires buying more product), people want more Shellac colors. Similarly, you can create matte effects by buffing, but it takes more time and is not consistent. To argue that they not jump onto a fad is not valid as CND is about the latest thing on and off the runway, creating trends (even turning fads into trends). Matte is hardly a fad; while all-matte nails have come and gone and come back again - matte effects have remained hot for years. To be honest, much as I love CND (and adore Jan Arnold) I think that CND has fallen behind on things like color range, led cure and effects like matte, and is, as a result, losing market share.

it's heartbreaking...:sad: us CND nailartists could do so much nailart with a matte topcoat as the contrast between the matt background and a design painted on with shiny topcoat can be absolutely stunning.

But, by the time I've applied 2 coats of colour, 2 coats of topcoat, buffed all shine from 10 nails I've ran out of time to do anything more adventurous than a french tip in shiny topcoat..:sad:

I'm not a fan of the matt look myself but wonder could you achieve the look by just wiping the top film with some acetone?
I know peeps will query whether the acetone will compromise the application but a quick swipe would take the shine away and not be in contact with the product long enough to cause a problem.

here's an example of two matte Black Shellac nails I did earlier this year...

:
480766_220498098092099_1701072796_n.jpg

I'm not a fan of the matt look myself but wonder could you achieve the look by just wiping the top film with some acetone?
I know peeps will query whether the acetone will compromise the application but a quick swipe would take the shine away and not be in contact with the product long enough to cause a problem.

tried it Rinn, it hardly dulls the shine :-(

Beautiful nail art as always Curvygirl :Love:

I use both Shellac and Gelish so at least my ladies will have the choice of matt now without the need for buffing etc...:D

I'd still love CND to bring out a matt top coat as well though.

it's heartbreaking...:sad: us CND nailartists could do so much nailart with a matte topcoat as the contrast between the matt background and a design painted on with shiny topcoat can be absolutely stunning.

But, by the time I've applied 2 coats of colour, 2 coats of topcoat, buffed all shine from 10 nails I've ran out of time to do anything more adventurous than a french tip in shiny topcoat..:sad:

Also, CND Shellac makes a big deal out of not having to buff either 1) the natural nail for application or 2) the top coat for removal, so buffing to achieve an effect is at odds with the "no buff" mantra of Shellac.

Last edited:
I haven't been asked for matte yet as all my clients love the shine of shellac. I've done it a few times on my oen nails and always seem to buff some parts to much especially round the side walls. A matte top coat would be a great idea. Until then I'll be perfecting lightly buffing the normal top coat.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I believe that NSI are also showcasing a matte polish pro topcoat at Olympia. Seems like cnd are truly behind this time.

I believe that NSI are also showcasing a matte polish pro topcoat at Olympia. Seems like cnd are truly behind this time.

I bought the NSI matte TC and it really is lovely...ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1379586463.191669.jpg :wink:

I would love a shellac matt top coat too!! ☺

I've been playing as curious to see how a matte topcoat would look...

Matte effect nails created with a Matte Topcoat on Shellac Power Polish with Shellac Topcoat tips. L-R: Black Pool, Tinted Love, Rock Royalty, Wildfire, Blue Rapture and Dark Dahlia

See? Tell me they don't look fabulous...

1186184_307060946102480_1549919473_n.jpg

1238860_307060969435811_1954691139_n.jpg

I'm dying for a matte topcoat too... I'm getting asked for it more and more.

Funnily enough, buffing the Shellac works for a week or so and then they start to go (wait for it...) shiny!! How frustrating.

Xxx

I'm dying for a matte topcoat too... I'm getting asked for it more and more.

Funnily enough, buffing the Shellac works for a week or so and then they start to go (wait for it...) shiny!! How frustrating.

Xxx

i'm not going to divulge which matte topcoat i've used as I really don't want to promote another brand.. Just trying to make a point as to how lovely matte nails look. I SO wish these could be done as a full CND system :sad::sad::sad::sad:

I will repeat (for those of you who weren't at The Event) what Dr. Dave said:

CND bought out Super Matt, how many did you buy?

Exactly :wink2:

I will repeat (for those of you who weren't at The Event) what Dr. Dave said:

CND bought out Super Matt, how many did you buy?

Exactly :wink2:

Just because a matte nail polish TC proved unpopular doesn't mean a matte Power Polish TC (shellac) will also??

^^^ But maybe matte nails weren't on trend then? Plus this is for Shellac (not regular polish) so it would not only be used for full matte nails but also for endless nail art opportunities.

I respect Curvygirl and VerdePurdy (and lots of other geeks) massively for their nail skills and their client base must be huge...if they say there would be demand, then there would be demand.

Even I get asked for it as a relative newbie with a small client base! Luckily I can cater for matte as I use Gelish as well as Shellac so if they want Matte then they pick a Gelish colour. Also Harmony and NSI would not release a matte coat without having confidence that demand would be there.

Pleeeaaaase CND - give us a matte top coat :Love:

Latest posts

Back