co-workers stealing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kel85

Reaction score
hi i work in a salon and ive witnessed a few girls stealing colours and products from the store room when the boss isn't around, i want to tell my boss what is going on but i know the girls will know i was me whos told her. i dont really want to get anyone into trouble, but i dont like what they are doing. what should i do?:sad:

tell your boss that stock is going, but you want to be kept out of it, as you dont want to be labelled as a snitch, but, the boss will value your honesty

stock is not a free for all for all employess, and if this sort of thing didnt go, on, then in the long run wages could be higher, training courses for staff could be more available etc etc
but because of the amount of stock that a salon loses through employes thinking they deserve a perk! the salon loses out and your boss will thank you for bringing it to his/ her attention

Tell your employer discreetly - she will thank you.

In my experience, if there is anything to be stolen it will be.

If you don't say anything YOU could be under suspicion.

Good luck :hug:

hi thanks for the advice, ive told my boss this morning and she was furious. she had talks with the girls and sacked one of them and sent her home. But the girl was really upset and my boss felt sorry for her and gave her, her job back!! now i feel so stupid for telling her and they no it was me who told her. so i no there is going to be an atmosphere when i go back to work and i am considering quitting because i dont think i have been taken seriously, so im job hunting lol:rolleyes:

Hey sorry you feel like that now but in the long run you did the right thing as you could have been under suspicion. Its not right though that your boss has put you in an awkward position now by doing what she did. I think you need to speak to her again & explain this as its not right that you should be made to feel bad & to the point your considering leaving. If she truly valued your honestly/loyalty then she will/should sort this out once & for all. If not then maybe you are better out of there as you could do so much better & it will be her loss. :hug: :hug:

You did the right thing and don't feel guilty as you did nothing wrong hun ok x

hi thanks for the advice, ive told my boss this morning and she was furious. she had talks with the girls and sacked one of them and sent her home. But the girl was really upset and my boss felt sorry for her and gave her, her job back!! now i feel so stupid for telling her and they no it was me who told her. so i no there is going to be an atmosphere when i go back to work and i am considering quitting because i dont think i have been taken seriously, so im job hunting lol:rolleyes:

You did the right thing hun,its your boss who i blame.If you did'nt tell your boss and she found out your knew,she would have said "why did'nt you tell me".

You tell the boss and it backfires on you , your boss is the silly one for hiring someone who steels from her :eek:. unbelievable of your boss who has acted totally like a great friend and not her boss. Good luck with your job hunting hun , you certainly done need the hassel of that salon.

I think your boss should be showing you more support and IF the girls do know it was you then they need to be spoken to..."any attitude and your OUT"

I hope your boss appreciates you and your honesty.

I found this on Acas website and thought it was of use

I quote

If workers bring information about a wrongdoing to the attention of their employers or a relevant organisation, they are protected in certain ways under the Public Interest Disclosure Act 1998. This is commonly referred to as 'blowing the whistle'. The law that protects whistle-blowers is for the public interest – so people are encouraged to speak out if they find malpractice in an organisation. Blowing the whistle is more formally known as 'making a disclosure in the public interest'.

Workers who 'blow the whistle' on wrongdoing in the workplace can complain to an employment tribunal if they are dismissed or victimised for doing so. An employee's dismissal (or selection for redundancy) is automatically considered 'unfair' if it is wholly or mainly for making a protected disclosure.

hth
Sue x

thanks for all your help, im staying at the salon. i feel alot better thanks to ur advice, so im going to walk in with my head high because ive done nothing wrong lol thank you:)xx

thanks for all your help, im staying at the salon. i feel alot better thanks to ur advice, so im going to walk in with my head high because ive done nothing wrong lol thank you:)xx

Hiya Kel , one day when you are a boss at your own salon if someone comes to you to tell you that someone is pilfering the stock at least you will know how to act and be more grateful to the person who is only trying to help,
when I was a junior I witnessed the same thing but I never had the guts to say anything as it was a big salon and I was new and way out numbered by all the older girls
they even tried to bully me into to not paying for a colour :cry:
but I was not going to be a part of it ,
it was horrible situation , but I made sure I paid for it at reception to the receptionist when they weren't looking :green:

From then on I made sure I always bought my stuff at the wholesalers,

In your case it seem like the classic case of shooting the messenger , I am apalled at your bosses attitude,:eek: if these girls are stealing and they have been kept on your boss must be mad or she has had hidden cameras installed for abslolute proof

but if these girls are of bad character they may now want to see yours blackened too ,
what I am trying to say is I would not take a handbag to work anymore because if they can steal so easily ,
whats to stop them from dropping a tube of colour or something in your bag so they can then inform the boss ?

I have seen a lot of this stuff go on in salons in my time.

I am not trying to scare you :hug:
but I guess what I am trying to say is be careful of these girls hun they may now want to set you up to get thier own back , if you know what I mean ,

I really do hope it all goes well for you though x
good luck :hug: x minky

Congratulations for you honesty and loyalty to your employer. You did the right thing unfortunately your boss has not truely appreciated the position you have been put in. I'm glad you didn't leave your job as you did nothing wrong and in fact should be very proud that you had the courage to do the "right thing".

Latest posts

Back