Coconut oil for the face

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alimac

Reaction score
I have a client who swears by coconut oil as her night time moisturiser.

Has anyone else heard of this?

It is great for dry skin in general.

I use it as a body moisturiser and if my hair is particularly dry, put it in my hair, put cling film on and leave it overnight, wash off in the morning and it is silky soft.

I have a really cheap coconut moisturiser (by Inecto whoever they are!) it really smells............i actually love the smell of of strong coconut and it really does the job.
I use it for everything from hair to feet! Im not normally a fan of cheapie skin products but this stuff works for me, Savers sell it for 99p!

i once used pure coconut oil( 99p from superdrug) as a moisturiser,
and i was so allergic to it, i swelled up like a balloon, and my tongue swelled, i was like it for 3 days,
gp surgery wanted me to go to see a doctor there, but as if i was going to go out looking like that!!!!
so i took anti histamines and waited, now i wont even go near a bounty bar ( just in case)

I use a mixture of olive oil and grapeseed oil on my skin as a cleanser (taking off makeup) and a moisteriser. havent had any problems and my skin has been less oily since doing it, there is a cleansing treatment you can make out of olive oil and castor oil, will try to fins it later and all of the inofmation about it.
Nic

Oh here we go

Oil Cleansing Method, or OCM

When cleansing and moisturizing your skin, it is imperative that you keep in mind that oil disolves oil. Do not be afraid of applying oil to your face. Oil, alone, will not cause you blemishes. Pimples, cysts, zits, blackheads and whiteheads are a result of several different factors including hormones, bacteria, dead skin cells and the buildup of these factors. Your skin naturally produces oil because it needs it. It is not a malicious force to be reckoned with, it is there for the benefit of your skin. It is naturally occurring. Oil helps lubricate, heal, protect, and moisturize your skin so that it may function properly. Properly functioning skin is beautiful, clear, and glowing.

While I'm talking about the benefits of oil applied externally, I'd like to mention how important it is to moisturize from the inside as well. WATER! Drink no less than 8 glasses of water a day. If your skin has issues with blemishes, drink up! Water will help release and remove the toxins from within, leaving behind glowing, dewey, toned skin. Carry a bottle of water around with you throughout the day so water is always available.

Now, to the point of this article.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is used for moisture, while Castor Oil (CO) is used for cleansing. Castor Oil tends to be a bit on the thick side, so a mix of the two (EVOO/CO) is frequently used. This allows for the Castor Oil to really sink into the pores and draw out the dirt and grime to the surface. You can vary this ratio to match your skins needs. More EVOO for moisture or more CO for cleansing (25/75 EVOO/CO for Oily skin, or 75/25 EVOO/CO for dry skin). EVOO is incredibly high in antioxidants, while CO is excellent for drawing and healing. CO has been the focus of many books and medical discussion because of its seemingly "magical" healing properties. It only makes sense (after a bit of research) that one would use CO on their face to help treat blemishes and acne, or simply to make their skin look and feel better.

As quoted in The Oil That Heals by Dr. McGarey, a country doctor (unknown?) states, "Castor oil will leave the body in better condition than it found it."

The Routine:
  • Massage a substantial amount (the cup of your palm, while hand is held open) of EVOO/CO into your face and neck.

This is to be done over makeup or any visible dirt. Take this time to give yourself a facial massage. Really work the oil into your skin. Take your time, breathe deeply, and relax. Sit down to do this if it helps.

You, of course, do not have to sit and relax, but keep in mind that stress isn't good for your skin and you should take any moment you can to destress and let tension float away.
  • Take a washcloth, terry cloth or flannel preferred, and soak it in steamy hot water. Wring it out and drape it over your face.

What we are doing is steaming your face as an esthetician would, but without the steam machine. You want to open your pores. This helps release any impurities from deep within your pores.
  • As the washcloth begins to cool, gently wipe the oil and dirt away. This will also help remove any dead skin cells that are stubbornly clinging on.
  • Rinse the washcloth out in hot water and wipe away any remaining impurities. You may have to do this two or three times more to remove any remaining dirt and oil residue, but it will come off leaving your skin with a beautiful, healthy glow. No additional cleansing is necessary.
  • After you have rinsed well, you can either splash your face with cool water to help tone and close your pores, or if your face feels tight, you can moisturize.
  • If your skin feels tight, take a tiny drop of your EVOO/CO, rub it between your clean, damp palms and pat it into your damp skin. Massage any oil residue into your skin so there is no film of oil left sitting on the surface. Being prone to breakouts, myself, I've found that this is perhaps the most important step.
Your skin should glow now.
biggrin.gif

Hi I will be using coconut oil for my Indian head massage, its a good moisturiser!!:)

Coconut oil can be used for many things including cooking.

My friend has a daughter who has major problems with her stomache,she swears by cooking with coconut oil,says that it is the only oil her daughter can have in her food.

Also, same friend reckons that coconut oil is great for pigmentation,she has,or should I say pigmentation marks on her cheeks(she's Columbian)so dark skinned.

She used this oil everyday and I reckon her pigmentation marks have faded considerably.She has beautiful skin,she's the same age as me and looks about 25.But saying this,does eat very healthily and dosn't drink or smoke,ever.So probably comination of things.

Hi I will be using coconut oil for my Indian head massage, its a good moisturiser!!:)

i finished my indian head massage course an saturday and i was taught that coconut oil is a good for softening and moisturising

Coconut oil is very moisturising.
It can be used on the skin and on the scalp.
Maybe you should try a little bit of it to find out whether you might be allergic to it or not.

Where do you get yours?

i use eve taylor coconut oil on all clients with dry skin.....fab

Latest posts

Back