Coconut oil?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshLovesTanning

Tanning ❤️
Reaction score
As a matter of interest, has anyone used coconut oil to clean or moisturise their skin with a spray tan on? If so has it had any negative effects on your tan?

I use coconut oil on my skin all the time. It never effects my tan and it makes skin sooo soft. I love it. I even rub it on my 2 year old when she gets out the bath xx

I love coconut oil too! I suppose it's one exception to fake tan as an oil... I clean my face with it and my face tan lasted about 4 days! Usually my tan comes of my face the next day with any other cleanser!

Do you fine it gives you spots?

I haven't tried it but was using almond oil but found that gave me spots and also tried caster oil which if I use daily also brings me out in spots. so have be abit reluctant to try another oil but maybe I will give this one ago and see. Would you recommend everyday to remove make up or just 2-3 times a week?

I use it every day to clean my face make up or no makeup. I use a warm cloth then to remove it. I have read a lot of articles on it before I started using it. but was a bit concerned it might remove or mess up my spray tan but it actually makes my face tan last longer for around 4 days, wipes and cotton pads are so bad for skin and tan!

I don't get spots off it either. It has loads of uses if you google it. Once every 2 weeks i rub it on my hair before i go to bed, wash it off the next morning and my hair is silky smooth xx

Do you fine it gives you spots?

You'd just have to try it out as everyone is different. One one hand, coconut oil is comedogenic so can clog pores if you have very oily skin. But on the other hand it does have some natural antibacterial properties which can sometimes help spots

The reason why you can't use an oil before a tan is cause it stops the solution from working. Some say it causes the skin to go scaly?

The reason why you can't use an oil before a tan is cause it stops the solution from working. Some say it causes the skin to go scaly?
I dont use anything for about 24 hours before i tan. I've found a great cream for after though, its got no sls no parabens and no mineral oil. I've been using it on my tan for a week now and had no cracking or lifting of tan. Its called childs farm baby moisturiser. I found it in the baby isle in asda while i was getting nappies (for my daughter, not me haha). Other than hempz this is the only cream i can find without all the stuff that ruins a tan and it was only £4 xx

I dont use anything for about 24 hours before i tan. I've found a great cream for after though, its got no sls no parabens and no mineral oil. I've been using it on my tan for a week now and had no cracking or lifting of tan. Its called childs farm baby moisturiser. I found it in the baby isle in asda while i was getting nappies (for my daughter, not me haha). Other than hempz this is the only cream i can find without all the stuff that ruins a tan and it was only £4 xx

Excellent! I use Elave, it's is coconut oil based and contains no sulphate, formaldehyde, all that other bad crap... its all goodness... I use their shower gel to all their stuff is purified water and coconut oil based.

What have you found ruined your tan before?

Excellent! I use Elave, it's is coconut oil based and contains no sulphate, formaldehyde, all that other bad crap... its all goodness... I use their shower gel to all their stuff is purified water and coconut oil based.

What have you found ruined your tan before?
Anything containing mineral oils (petrolium) makes my tan look dreadful it cracks and goes scaly xx

I don't ever recommend using oil for moisturizing whilst having a spray tan. Regardless of the brand its simple science. The oil will open the stained pores and remove the tan. To remove a tan using oil is brilliant but not to maintain a tan. Any product containing an oil will result in a negative effect to your client so ask questions of which moisturizer they are using. hths xoxo

I don't ever recommend using oil for moisturizing whilst having a spray tan. Regardless of the brand its simple science. The oil will open the stained pores and remove the tan. To remove a tan using oil is brilliant but not to maintain a tan. Any product containing an oil will result in a negative effect to your client so ask questions of which moisturizer they are using. hths xoxo

@wonderwoman
I use coconut oil to clean my face twice a day and my face tan lasts for 4-5 days. I was shocked as when I used wipes, they would literally take it of straight away.

I've never had any problems. The skin needs oil and if we dont use oil our skin becomes very dry and malnourished.

@wonderwoman
I use coconut oil to clean my face twice a day and my face tan lasts for 4-5 days. I was shocked as when I used wipes, they would literally take it of straight away.

I've never had any problems. The skin needs oil and if we dont use oil our skin becomes very dry and malnourished.

I wouldn't say or advise a client that never using oil causes skin to become 'malnourished'.

Botanical oils (not mineral oils) are beneficial to the skin to hydrate and balance excess sebum, and fatty acids are also beneficial, but what the skin most importantly needs is water through diet.

If someone hates using oil on their skin it's perfectly fine to use a moisturiser or lotion without your skin becoming malnourished.

I wouldn't say or advise a client that never using oil causes skin to become 'malnourished'.

Botanical oils (not mineral oils) are beneficial to the skin to hydrate and balance excess sebum, and fatty acids are also beneficial, but what the skin most importantly needs is water through diet.

If someone hates using oil on their skin it's perfectly fine to use a moisturiser or lotion without your skin becoming malnourished.

I was over exaggerating when I said malnourished. Seriously. We need oils on our skin and yes water through diet. Would you say you wouldn't use coconut oil or coconut oil based products?

If someone doesn't want to use it fine, but the point I'm making is that it has never harmed my tan.

I was over exaggerating when I said malnourished. Seriously. We need oils on our skin and yes water through diet. Would you say you wouldn't use coconut oil or coconut oil based products?

If someone doesn't want to use it fine, but the point I'm making is that it has never harmed my tan.

I'm not arguing your point at all lovely, coconut oil is beneficial for a lot of people and works for some tans and not others.

I think it's a case of to each their own! I use Moroccan Tan which is argan oil based and also their butter which contains argan and coconut oil. On my face I only use my Eve Taylor products anyway, rarely use oils as I find the moisturisers and serums enough and skin produces its own natural oil so if it's balanced this may be all you need. I hate the feel of pure coconut oil on my skin personally and find it quite comedogenic but I know lots of people swear by it

I love coconut oil. I never liked oil on my skin but I do now. Have you found any oil to ruin your tan? If coconut oil ruined my tan I wouldn't use it or recommend it to others. It's really inexpensive and a great way to clean the skin.

Latest posts

Back