Cold Callers driving me nuts!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annemarie

CND Grand Master tech
Reaction score
I'm after some advice so hope one or two of you lovely geeks can help me. I've had my salon for nearly 2 years and not a day goes by that I don't get a cold call ( sales, utility comp etc.) You name it I've had the lot. I hate to be rude to anyone but sometimes I get up to about 8 a day and it's come to the point where I have ended up putting the phone down on them. (awful I know) but some won't take I'm busy with a client, can't talk now for an answer and still ramble on.
I seem to remember someone telling me that there is a link somewhere that I can use to put a block or end to these nuisance calls. It's as bad as junk mail.
Each time I get a call from an energy company I have politely asked them to remove me from their list but to no avail.
What else can I do? I feel like screaming sometimes as it's so annoying especially when were busy.
I've had a little search on here but can't seem to find any info on it.
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I can do to stop them calling.
Thanks in advance

I know exactly how you feel :(
It was so bad that I was just hanging up on them. Until a client advised me to buy a blow horn :D
I keep it next to the phone and all my clients are aware that I may sound it into the mouth piece tehehe
It IS loud and I am steadily weeding out the sales people that wont give up yappin. Being polite and nice just fuels them to push their sales. So get abrasive and take action, it actually does work.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

You can register your business numbers on the Telephone Preference Society http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/mobile/index.html it may take a while to kick however, if you do get any phone calls after registering you can threaten to report them which could result in a large fine.

I have caller display on my work phone so when it's a number without a local area code I'm reticent. If I answer and it's trying to sell me a credit card machine/phone line/electric I try and remember to store it in my phone as a DNA- do not answer. This works to a degree. A lot of these callers are number withheld which often means they're outside the uk and don't come under the umbrella of the TPS which is a massive pain. My phone provider is the worst in the world but I am in a 2 year contract with them. A UK company approached me and said they could get me out of it. After weeks of rhetoric they admitted they couldn't. The contract was water tight. As soon as I'm out of it I will go to BT. I can't tell you how bad they are!

Vicki x

I get all sorts of calls.
I recently added caller display to my package, so if I get a call from a uk based sales company, I can add their number to a blocked call list and the call won't connect to my phone......works well, but doesn't stop international calls.

I'm registered with the TPS, but I still get calls ( uk and international )

Thankyou very much for the help everyone. It's very much appreciated. :)

Ok so this is my job i kid you not however i only call my companies customers and i work for a blue chip company.

We get alot of people saying they are on the tps. Thats great however we are your provider and thus the tps does not apply as we could be calling you for a number of reasons hence we call your landline number.

Second of all a lot of agents will request you a call back for a chat esp when your being rude to them. Its their job, how would you like it if someone told you to eff off cos your doing your job? Also the systems used does not allow a sales agent to take you off the calls we have to filter them a different way so that head office can filter those numbers, we minions dont have that power so no amount of pleading or being rude is going to get you off its just the way the agents process your call.

Dont get me wrong there are some unscruplus agents out there however i speak for my company when i say that we always follow ofcom rules and codes of conduct and always try to give customers the best service possible just like you lovelys would. How would you feel if a client was giving you the run around about a product you were selling them? We are no different just a different industry. All you have to do is say to the agent is i will consider it and bam you will put off the all system for a while so that your not getting called everyday.

Manners go a huge way in this game and considering we get the same calls means we understand how you feel but ultimately if your rude we will get our own back. Respect us and we will respect you anx as we respect you you should respect us.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

These calls would drive anyone mental....when they ask for the manager / bill payer ....I say sorry she's not here....try tomorrow bye.

Its because for legal reasons we do have to ask for them! Just like you may ask for a specific therapist or stylist.

I get it drives people up the wall when it is pure cold calling and you have nothing to do with that company bit when it is a supplier they have every right to phone you regarding your account and thats why im saying be nice.

I had a customer today tell me name isnt english even though it is albeit a very unusal english name and told me to eff of back to my own country as clearly im an illegal immigrant. Now do you think for that kind of attitude i would have tried to lower their contract length and give them discount on the package price? No i wouldnt, why should i put up with being sworn at and belittled by a complete stranger and try and enhance their package when technically what i was offering them in the first place was still the correct deal. This is how i mean that you should be nice.

There are exemptions to the tps as i explained above and legally as your provider we have every right to contact you regardless of you bring on the tps or not. If you are getting complete cold calls and still on the tps then thats a different matter but dont take it out on the agents who are only doing their jobs and have no control over who they call. Be polite and professional and they will remember that but be nasty and they will remember that more. I have had it recently where for some reason the call system was calling the same person a couple of times a day so i knew i needed to put it through the system a certain way and even though its all correct its still calling the same number.

Ok so this is my job i kid you not however i only call my companies customers and i work for a blue chip company.

We get alot of people saying they are on the tps. Thats great however we are your provider and thus the tps does not apply as we could be calling you for a number of reasons hence we call your landline number.

Second of all a lot of agents will request you a call back for a chat esp when your being rude to them. Its their job, how would you like it if someone told you to eff off cos your doing your job? Also the systems used does not allow a sales agent to take you off the calls we have to filter them a different way so that head office can filter those numbers, we minions dont have that power so no amount of pleading or being rude is going to get you off its just the way the agents process your call.

Dont get me wrong there are some unscruplus agents out there however i speak for my company when i say that we always follow ofcom rules and codes of conduct and always try to give customers the best service possible just like you lovelys would. How would you feel if a client was giving you the run around about a product you were selling them? We are no different just a different industry. All you have to do is say to the agent is i will consider it and bam you will put off the all system for a while so that your not getting called everyday.

Manners go a huge way in this game and considering we get the same calls means we understand how you feel but ultimately if your rude we will get our own back. Respect us and we will respect you anx as we respect you you should respect us.

Really? Really?

Edit

Last edited:
Please tell me what company you work for so I never use them! Your attitude is appalling.

I get screamed and shouted at by rude ignorant people, but do I go out of my way to damage their phone/make them pay for it? No.

Companies INCLUDING my providers call to SELL me something, Tv, internet, etc. Whilst I appreciate it is their job, I am of the attitude IF I want something I will look for it. I don't need someone to call me & tell me what I need. It makes me not want to have what ever is on offer.

Xx

We cant damage phones etc we purely sit in front the computer screen and see what we can offer you in terms of updating your package. If your rude we wont offer you the managers specials or try and reduce the length of your contract. Its mainly the men that do this not the ladies. Also no matter what we still have to be polite and professional to you and obviously swearing at you is s sackable offence. All we ask is a little respect back ghd same as we show you and we will help you as best we can.

The boys like to put an irrate customers on to speaker phone so they can havd a good giggle at you etc. I would never do that what you say to me stays with me unless my manager needs to be involved. Of course we are also audited to ensure we are being professional and offering the correct services etc and sticking to compliance/ofcom rules.

Funny how the tables turn when some who does work in the beauty industry and also another industry asks youto be respectful to those doing these kind of jobs and some (not all of you) are more then happy to be rude to them. We dont like upsetting you but were are paid to call you. Again i get complete cold calls are a nusence but your providers are allowed to contact you. Remember if you want the best package and deal be nice its difficult and its free.

Btw those that say so and so isnt in we know when your lying as audit get to keep hearing your calls hence your number still being on the system so the best way fo stop it is answer listen and after three times of sayinv not interested you will (hopefully) be filtered out but you must listen to the anxld respond to the whole thing other wise you will be called back. Hth some of you

The thing is I think people are just tired of constant interruptions from providers (yourself) and cold callers.

I don't have a home phone for this very reason. I agree with another poster, if I want something I'll seek it out myself. To say you won't offer the best deal if someone is rude, I can't quite understand. Nobody called your company for the deal; your company called the customer. No deal solely suits the customer, it's for the benefit, ultimately of the business - businesses aren't charities. Of course that's the nature of business, but I feel (and I could be wrong of course) that you feel you're doing your customers a favour- a 'favour' they didn't ask for.

I don't think people should be rude or swear I totally agree with you, but there are some incredibly pushy sales calls- and that includes providers and cold callers. People have their limits and numerous calls disrupting your day, for services you don't want, need or require are a nuisance, as said I no longer have a home phone for this very reason.

I agree with you when you say that the beauty industry et al require respect and politeness, but I don't know many salons that cold call or ring up old clients pushing for a sale.

Jmho.

Sorry OP no help with your question im afraid, some good suggestions made already. Xxx

Last edited:
My mobile phone, home phone and broadband provider changed all tariffs and because I was out of contract on my home phone and broadband paying much less than their new tariffs decided they would plague me with weekly calls. When I said I wasn't interested and if i wanted to renew I could quite easily look into it myself at least 2 of the operators became rude. Following the last episode I rang their marketing department and advised if I received one more hassling call I would change provider immediately and strangely enough the calls stopped instantly.

We have a device called a telezapper which stops the autodialers but actual hand dialed calls still come through occasionally but we can tell instantly from area codes on the caller ID if it is a cold call and either ignore or switch to fax mode if they persistently ring. Anyone important can leave a message or call back.

Tried the polite no thank you but that doesn't work. There are some really rude people at the end of the phone!

Saying not interested does not work. Telling them you do not have a minute does not work. Nothing works!
I do not call potential clients and badger them with deals and why they should come to me for services instead of their current beauty salon.
All I ever get are unsolicited calls from people that do not even go through the trouble of finding out what my name is!
I am happy with my providers, whom BTW never f***in* call to let me know about any deals, they send me all that information and upcoming savings/deals via my MailBox. If I am interested I can phone the said provider and ask them to give me the deal. Simple. And yes, I am annoyed.
When the calls happen 8-9 times in a working day it disrupts my job a LOT and I am very tired of being nice as it never gets me anywhere. Blow horn has been a lifesaver the last few weeks and I am grateful for some very clever clients ;)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm never rude. But believe me there is times when I have felt like being so. I've tried saying I will consider it to some of these callers but to no avail. The very next day someone else from the same company will call and ask the very same question. I have even politely asked them to take me off their list. Surely they can do that.
I can understand where your coming from but can you also understand where I am too. I'm fed up with it. It p.,,es me off. I'm trying to run a business and getting these calls gets in the way of that.

Companies INCLUDING my providers call to SELL me something, Tv, internet, etc. Whilst I appreciate it is their job, I am of the attitude IF I want something I will look for it. I don't need someone to call me & tell me what I need. It makes me not want to have what ever is on offer.

Xx

My point exactly ;)

Latest posts

Back