Cold sore remedies for child?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claireyfairy

Reaction score
Hi all, just thought I'd ask if anyone has any remedies for cold sores? My 7 yr old daughter suffers really badly with them and has done ever since she was about 1.5 they are not only painful for her but also don't look very nice and some of the other children have started mentioning them which I really feel for her [emoji53] this winter seems like it's been one after the other, thanks in advance x

Carmex is amazing for cold sores! It's only sold as a lip balm but it's so much better than the actual creams. I think the actual coldsore creams make them worse before they get better. I feel for your daughter as they are very painful and embarrassing while your at school, bless her.
It's in a yellow tube with a red lid (you can buy it from chemists or supermarkets) I wear it everyday and I can't even remember the last time I had a coldsore, apply it directly to the cold sore as soon as it appears or when she feels it coming and reapply throughout the day if it feels like it's drying out, it's lovely as it has a little tingle to it and numbs the pain but your daughters coldsores won't even get to the weepy sore stage if she catches it with this stuff, it's a miracle in a tube I can't rave about it enough X

Through both pregnancies I had terrible cold sores, both corners of my mouth, after trying everything - prescribed and over the counter - a tea bag soaked in some warm salty water done the trick (I only found that out towards the end of my last pregnancy [emoji57]) mine would split every time I opened my mouth and were painful too

It does dye the scabby part a bit, which is the down side, but in a couple of days I had major improvement, just drain it off a bit and hold it on there for a few minutes x

It's not a remedy but it might be worth checking her diet. My mum suffers if she eats certain foods or foods containing certain additives. The culprits I can remember she breaks out with are lemonade and marmalade (something to do with the E111 additive I think) and peanuts. Hope this helps.

The compeed patches are great, they are expensive but worth it! Zovirax is good but you can get the generic version which is basically the same but half the price

Thanks everyone will be trying your ideas, her current one is infected so just got antibiotics for it, horrible little things they are [emoji53] also read that geranium oil is supposed to be good so will try that too! X

Lemon oil from Holland & Barrett.
Couple of drops mixed with equal drops of water.
Dab on with a cotton bud. Dries the buggers right out.

I suffered with them in my teens and tried so many things, but the Lemon oil was the only thing to work for me as the steroid creams just caused scarring. X

Latest posts

Back