College or Apprenticeship-I need your input

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is best in relation to Hairdressing. College education or Apprenticeship?

• College education is best

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Work based education is best

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • College for theory and salon for Prac

Votes: 32 68.1%
  • Both equal

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

Haylestones

Reaction score
Qualified Hairdresser, Level 3. College L2 Work based L3. 12 years Salon experience

Hi guys, I'm new on here so be easy with me :wink2:

Right, I'm a fully qualified hairdresser, currently finishing off my final year of a P.G.C.E with the intention of becoming a hairdressing lecturer. I have to do a research project and this is what I am doing:

Investigating Hairdressing Students’ Motivation on College Courses v Work Based Learning Courses

Any input from you lot relating to your views and opinions of the advantages/disadvantages of studying on either type of course would be greatly appreciated... please not too much of an essay as I have to try and summarise your answers.

Do you think there are differences in levels of ability, knowledge and skill from either type of course?

Are you aware of any biases from employers to which they would prefer to take on?

If so, do you think the students on these courses are aware of any biases from future employers?

If you think the students are aware, do you think this affects how they partake on their course?

If there are biases, and the students are aware of these, why would they chooses the alternative type of course?

Do you think lecturers are aware of any biases (if you think there are any?)

If you think the lecturers are aware of biases, do you think, or have experience of (are you a lecturer?) them adapting their teaching or motivational strategies because of this?

Are you a lecturer, student or qualified hairdresser? If so, could you please make this apparent at the top of your post along with how you were trained, ie. College or work based programme and the level of your qualification. (I've done mine at the top to show you what I mean.)

Any other input you think would help me would be great... thanks guys... you never know this could revolutionise eduction for future hairdressers :Love:

Hi, employer here. In general, we prefer hairdressers who've been trained via the apprentiship route. Mainly because they are more commercially aware, and more realistic about salon life.
I always trade test though, so college trained people are given the same opportunities. Sadly they don't seem to understand the standards that commercial salons expect. I've never actually employed one, but I understand that some salons do.

Level one and two qualified, studying level three currently, college trained.
I agree with persianista a salon trained stylist is more desirable, however a lot of the 'salon knowledge' is common sense. I managed to get a salon job and have done just fine, I never knew employers would be biased and had no problem finding a job, but maybe I'm an exception lol
Xxx

Qualified Hairdresser, college trained with 1 day a week salon placement (my choice) and now salon owner.

College was great, was ran as a normal working salon with bookings, reception duties and walk ins. We were lucky to have a set up so realistic with the general public

Do I think college alone is good enough to walk straight into a salon or mobile? No, you learn more on an apprenticeship and cover more day to day Scenarios.

I've seen hairdressers walk out of college with their NVQ and still have no clue how to work in a salon - that's mostly down to lack of training on the colleges part

Are they aware there are different attitudes to both? Probably

Hi everyone...I would be very grateful if anyone else could take the time to complete this for me.

Thank you,

Hayley

Hi,

I am level 2 qualified currently doing level 3 in salon.

I actually did one year in college and completed my level 1 and then during the holidays I got offered an apprenticeship to finish my level 2 with! So I basically did a year of each.

my experience - college lessons - Fantastic theory and lessons for all subjects covered at level 1. We were all at the same level and on the same wave length so all learnt at the same time. Was brilliant, couldn't fault.

Apprentice lessons - in college every other monday (twice a month) Terrible lessons/ not much structure, with apprentices starting all through the year so we were all at different levels and different knowledge. Felt like I didn't learn much, a lot of home study.

college practicals - Was helpful, very controlled and strict on what we did. Very frustrating sometimes when there was 20 other students demanding attention from 1 teacher.

work base practical - Fantastic, learnt loads in the salon in general, booking apps, telephone manor, stock, general duties. Also very lucky to be trained by a lovely lady who gave me lots of practical advice, and put a sign in window for models so I had lots of practice.

Hope this helps, sorry if i waffle! PM me if you would like to know any more :) x

I if we were taking someone on wd prefer someone who has been an apprentice

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Salon owners usually don't employ hairdressers that haven't done an apprenticeship, I did mine, had one year left and I quit, I would have to say apprenticeships ARE painful, but that's why they are better, although I'm lucky I already did mine but on the books I haven't completed it because I didn't finish my third year of experience.
They are better, if i was a salon owner I probably wouldn't be too keen on employing a college trained hair dresser but i would consider it.
An apprenticeship teaches you professionalism, it teaches you the principles, the things that cannot be taught verbally, although they SHOULD come with common sense but unfortunately that's not the case with some people.
If you want to be broke for 3-4 years and earn pretty much almost nothing but would prefer a better education and also would like to have a long term committed to the salon then go for an apprenticeship.
But, if you're looking to work for yourself, (&/or) work voluntary after you've qualified and build yourself up then go for college.
From my own opinion I think hair is not only an art but also a science, if you're not a natural, you'll never become one some hairdressers ARE hairdressing, some are not so much "natural" hairdressers, so if you have passion, and are a natural whether you're an apprentice or college trained in my opinion it doesn't matter you'll be just as good.

Thank you to all that have taken the time to answer, some really interesting replies. Any more opinions out there?

Hairdresser in Training! I'm level 2 training full time at college love going full time as there's a lot more theory than an apprentice and feel you do more hairdressing at college however with an apprentischip you can start building up your clientele and have a better chance of a job at the end of it x

Both equal...can't have one without the other.

I trained as an apprentice 20 years ago, no college just salon based learning - no certificates or nvq's. finished my apprenticeship then gave up. Went back to college 12 years ago and did 3 days per week NVQ2 - only took me 6 months due to my previous experience most of the other girls took 2 - 21/2 years at college and never worked as a hairdresser as they didn't have the confidence. They all qualified though.

I have employed college trained and apprentice trained and from this coupled with my own training experiences would say that the apprentice route allows you to develop you skills at your own pace. In most young adults now common sense isn't automatic, nor is client care, nor is the work eithic.

College NVQ trained hairdressers finish and we hear 'I'm a qualified hairdresser' - er qualified for what? Until they have completed a couple of years on shop floor with mistakes, horrid clients, nice clients, cleaned the hair out of the plug, cleaned the toilet, made the tea, painted the salon in quiet periods, leaflet dropped in houses or on the high street, super successes, horrendous disasters etc etc = then no sorry not qualified for anything.

Depends on the individual.

I've met some shocking apprentices, but a handful of brilliant full timers, attitude wise Although generally apprentices tend to be better.

One big think is apprentices mix with a team so interact with other qualified stylists and clients, full timers are usually straight out of school into a class the same age and treated like they are at school.

In theory full times should be better practically as they should have spend more hours doing practical hair, but they aren't which says something about the level of training in colleges.

Are they aware of this? Probably not as them they wouldn't have picked this path.

It's not about training aspiring hairdressers it's about getting them enrolled on a course, keeping them on it, passing them off and looking good on paper.

The students expectations aren't managed either - NVQ2 is a basic entry into hairdressing IMO and some students think it makes you eligible to be a senior stylist. (Not their fault)

Latest posts

Back