College problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lea2721

Reaction score
ive come here for a bit of a rant really i am so annoyed there is a girl who does our course vrq level 2 and guess how many days she has attended since then 30 days thats it and when she does decide to come its 1 pm in the afyernoon but what gets me is the fact that one of our tutors actually beleives her lies etc there bending over back wards for her to try get her to finish the course and get a qualification.. why should this happen after all no effort has been put in in yet she will get a qualfication at the end of it its so annoying especiall when others are trying so hard these people should be kicked of the course they dont deserve grrr lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

So with you on this...

The ones that do the least clients/attend the least get the most help and the most support! I think they should be kicked outta the course too!

I do not think colleges teach these particular youngsters to 'man up' - in the real world of work - if you do not perform then you're out! No wonder employers are pulling their hair out (lol sorry about the pun)!

Know exactly what you mean! Im about to finish my vrq lvl 2 nail tech 2 weeks early.... And? People who have sat staring out the window doing nothing, skills nowher near up to scratch are having the rules bent so they dont fail!! :mad:

Sent from my GT-I5500 using SalonGeek

So with you on this...

The ones that do the least clients/attend the least get the most help and the most support! I think they should be kicked outta the course too!

I do not think colleges teach these particular youngsters to 'man up' - in the real world of work - if you do not perform then you're out! No wonder employers are pulling their hair out (lol sorry about the pun)!

exactly its unfair and in this case what annoyed me the most is we have 2 seprate tutors on each day and one wants to get her kicked of the course as she is in that mind of your not doing good your out but the other had been lying to her saying she was coming in on time and caught up on loads of work.. what scares me the most is she actuallt thinks in her head that once she has got this qualification shes a hairdresser and will start doing peoples hair eeeek.. and also gives colleges a bad name because yes they may not get a job if she went for a interview but there going to wonder how they have got the qualificatiom and then just think there standards are low.. i think something should be done about it really i know its not universty or anything but nobidy should get a qualfication if there not willing to put the effort in.. and also are course is only 2 days a week and she gets a free bus pass etc im glad im not alone :)

Know exactly what you mean! Im about to finish my vrq lvl 2 nail tech 2 weeks early.... And? People who have sat staring out the window doing nothing, skills nowher near up to scratch are having the rules bent so they dont fail!! :mad:

Sent from my GT-I5500 using SalonGeek

exactly that is what i am seeing and yes we are the ones who will actually learn and have a better career out of it but just a lil bit disheartning after all the effort you put in and they will more or less get the same level as you x

College is a business now not just a place of education, if a person doesn't finish the course the college doesn't get paid, it happened when I trained.

College is a business now not just a place of education, if a person doesn't finish the course the college doesn't get paid, it happened when I trained.

i know but thats what i mean it should not be like this though its wrong

Very wrong and very unfair, I agree on everyone's points! Can you not make a complaint or something just to get your voice heard and prevent future reoccurrences?

When I did my training many moons ago! No one failed it was a private academy and they too only got payed if you passed.
some girls could not even shampoo and walked away with a nvq scary !!!
But hey getting and keeping a job is another thing altogether. These people would not get thro my front door ! So maybe they get what they deserve :)

I know exactly how you feel. As soon as I started my beauty level 2 course we got told "no-one fails". Tutors bang on about professional appearance etc... but are passing students that don't wear gloves when waxing. There's no way i'd let people do that on me. It strange how some people get away with it but others don't and get picked up on it.

When i did my NVQ at college near 3 (i think) years ago, you had to have 100% attendance to pass the class! So if you had any days off you had to come in on your days off or stay late!

Sent from my HTC Vision using SalonGeek

This happened in my class too I was struggling as I was very far on in my pregnancy and they would give an inch but the other girl got Extra help etc, and for what?? I've been told she doesn't even do beauty now xx

Hi

How annoying!! When I start in September wild horses will not keep me from attending what's more annoying she could have took a place from someone who would have given their right arm for that place!

Take comfort in the fact you are obv serious about a career in hairdressing and that you can say you've give 100% to your studies and I have NO doubt you'll be a much much better hairdresser for it!

xx

well just glad im not alone lol.. i try not let it get to me but its soo frustrating and yes your right i think its just opened my eyes to some people that actually some people just dont want to work . and i think that winds me up as well she has no children nothing holding her back why would you not want to work. i do this course a single parent to 3 children but i do love it :) ... i just think colleges should be tougher and not be punished e.g by getting less money for kicking some one of a course x

Morning all,

It's exactly the same at the college I'm at, just about to finish nvq level 2 in hair dressing. On one occassion only 4 people turned up to an exam they didn't care as it wasn't on a college day!!! Nothing was said and I even put my little one in nursery so I could go and then the lazy ones who couldn't be bothered got to do it on a college day which would of been easier for me! Oh and we were told we had to do at least 10 hours in a salon to gain experience unpaid. Over half the class 'asked' local salons but were told no. I'm a mature student 29 and again did this work experience again at cost to me ( child care ) but I did it because I LOVE the course and this is my dream. Guess what they can make up they all did the experience. It does seem to be a business as oppose to education passing students who reach the levels required.
The final straw was that most of these girls who might do level 3 as they don't want to work get next year for free where as I will need to pay £1640. I was advised to sign on and get the fees paid for. I can't and won't do that as I'm self employed and just building up my beauty business ok some weeks I earn nothing but I am slowly getting regulars and am proud that I am getting there. Still at least reading on here I know now it's not just me it seems to a common thing. Couldn't be without SG great info and fab people on here x

Agreed again happened on my beauty course they bend over backwards to ensure everyone passes, I thought they were bringing in different passes this year pass, distinction etc at least that could set you apart?

It also seems such a huge waste of money as 90% of the people I trained with for 2 years are doing nothing with their qualifications, seems keeping them in any form of education just helps with government numbers, at the end of the day there will also be people that will push themselves & people that won't & we all know which will succeed in life!

You HAVE to accept that & get out of college what you want & ignore everyone around you, not easy i know but good luck x

I totally agree it is completely unfair! I had people on NVQ2 & 3 that I have no idea how they passed! Usually the tutor will take 5 of the best portfolios to hand in to be verified and this is what is used to base the classes standard!!

It is a numbers game in college if a tutor has any students that drop out, it looks bad on them and it will affect the colleges funding for the next year and statistically 80% never go on to actually get a job in Beauty!

Its hard not to get frustrated, but I just saw it as an ends to a mean, got my head down, got through it and got my certificates.............at the end of the day you know you are going to give the very best service you can to your clients thats the main thing! :)

Latest posts

Back