Color Touch as a toner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amonavis33

Reaction score
The client has a level 6 base which has been colored with KP level 6/2 to cover the whites. They now want highlights. If I’m toning light blonde bleached highlights on them with a color touch 10/6 and a 9/16 mixture, and the 1.9% developer, will this demi-permanent “toner” affect the base around the highlights?

Basically I’m wondering if it’s 100% deposit only or if there is some lifting in the color touch level 9/10 product which could cause an issue with their base, which they like. Thanks

The client has a level 6 base which has been colored with KP level 6/2 to cover the whites. They now want highlights. If I’m toning light blonde bleached highlights on them with a color touch 10/6 and a 9/16 mixture, and the 1.9% developer, will this demi-permanent “toner” affect the base around the highlights?

Basically I’m wondering if it’s 100% deposit only or if there is some lifting in the color touch level 9/10 product which could cause an issue with their base, which they like. Thanks
I've never had an issue with colour touch lifting the base when it's used with 1.9%
I do think that you'll need to be careful with using 9/16 + 10/6.
If you've strand tested then fine. But if not, I would, only because that's a very heavily violet based formula.

I've never had an issue with colour touch lifting the base when it's used with 1.9%
I do think that you'll need to be careful with using 9/16 + 10/6.
If you've strand tested then fine. But if not, I would, only because that's a very heavily violet based formula.
Thank you. Any formula suggestions for highlights that will be ashy but not overboard? Definitely don’t want them to be violet or silver or blue, just a very ashy blonde. I was thinking of maybe mixing in 1 part 10/0 with 1 part 9/16. Curious to hear any other ideas. Thanks!

Hi! I actually had the CT on virgin hair lifting the base and know other stylists that had the same issue. I still use Wella for my toners for certain clients but I now mostly moved to Redken Shades EQ because it does not shift the base at all and it actually gives a lot of shine as well.

Thank you. Any formula suggestions for highlights that will be ashy but not overboard? Definitely don’t want them to be violet or silver or blue, just a very ashy blonde. I was thinking of maybe mixing in 1 part 10/0 with 1 part 9/16. Curious to hear any other ideas. Thanks!
It does depend on how well the hair lifts. If it only lifts to a level 8 then obviously you'd need to reformulate because 10/0 + 9/16 wouldn't be pigmented enough.
Be careful with creating ash highlights on darker bases, sometimes I find they can almost get lost because they can tend to look a little grey.
Do you have a picture for reference of what your client wants?

It does depend on how well the hair lifts. If it only lifts to a level 8 then obviously you'd need to reformulate because 10/0 + 9/16 wouldn't be pigmented enough.
Be careful with creating ash highlights on darker bases, sometimes I find they can almost get lost because they can tend to look a little grey.
Do you have a picture for reference of what your client wants?
Thank you. We are starting at a level 6 and using blondor and 20 vol so I don’t think it should be a problem getting to level 9 or 10? Planning to leave the beach on for 30-35 minutes. Here is an idea of the client’s goal. Subtle ashy blonde highlights. Curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Attachments

• AC9E7C9A-4583-4853-929E-5B18D7C529CA.jpeg
    AC9E7C9A-4583-4853-929E-5B18D7C529CA.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 32
  • 5D23CFAA-1AB9-406F-A4BE-91F1F431AC83.jpeg
    5D23CFAA-1AB9-406F-A4BE-91F1F431AC83.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 27
10/0 + 9/16 would work beautifully if it lifts well :)
The other option could also be 9/97 which is a lovely cool blonde, it stops it looking too silver :)

10/0 + 9/16 would work beautifully if it lifts well :)
The other option could also be 9/97 which is a lovely cool blonde, it stops it looking too silver :)
Thank! Would you suggest using half 10/0 or is a quarter 10/0 sufficient?

Do you think lifting from 6 to 10 in 30 minutes with 20 vol is unrealistic? Since it’s short hair is 30vol better since it gets cut so often anyway, so damage is less of a concern?

Thank! Would you suggest using half 10/0 or is a quarter 10/0 sufficient?

Do you think lifting from 6 to 10 in 30 minutes with 20 vol is unrealistic? Since it’s short hair is 30vol better since it gets cut so often anyway, so damage is less of a concern?
You'll get a cleaner lift with 20vol and leaving it longer. Why are you limiting processing time to only 30 mins when it can be left on for 50?

You'll get a cleaner lift with 20vol and leaving it longer. Why are you limiting processing time to only 30 mins when it can be left on for 50?

it’s a busy downtown salon and the male clients especially have certain expectations to not be in the chair too long so I just wanted to be as efficient as possible while not compromising results. And to be honest I’ve had highlights myself and I don’t remember having the foils in for that long so I just assumed there was a faster way. But I’d rather do it by the book rather than taking shortcuts so I’ll leave it on longer.

it’s a busy downtown salon and the male clients especially have certain expectations to not be in the chair too long so I just wanted to be as efficient as possible while not compromising results.

I think using a higher developer becomes more an issue if the person is getting regular highlights as then you risk overlapping level 10 lightened hair with the stronger formula.

Latest posts

Back