Color Touch hair condition

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amonavis33

Reaction score
I’ve noticed in one of my short hair level 6 clients that her hair is in worse condition with Color Touch than it was using KP with 20 vol. With KP since the mixture is thicker it was easier to keep on the roots only and then I emulsified at the end to color balance.

With CT, since the mixture is more liquid and it’s apparently much more gentle, I was overlapping it on the mid lengths and ends a little more, and colouring it a little more often, even trying new tones (using 1.9% though). I have only ever applied towel dried hair, and I always process for the full 20 minutes when she wants grey coverage (using the 4%).
Side note: I’ve been able to get almost 100% gray coverage which I found interesting. Her hair color is also denser than I would have expected. Am I just overlapping it too much? Or leaving it on too long? Too much product? I color her about once every 3 weeks.

Any ideas why her hair is in worse condition now? It looks pretty dry. She conditions 3 times per week.

I’ve noticed in one of my short hair level 6 clients that her hair is in worse condition with Color Touch than it was using KP with 20 vol. With KP since the mixture is thicker it was easier to keep on the roots only and then I emulsified at the end to color balance.

With CT, since the mixture is more liquid and it’s apparently much more gentle, I was overlapping it on the mid lengths and ends a little more, and colouring it a little more often, even trying new tones (using 1.9% though). I have only ever applied towel dried hair, and I always process for the full 20 minutes when she wants grey coverage (using the 4%).
Side note: I’ve been able to get almost 100% gray coverage which I found interesting. Her hair color is also denser than I would have expected. Am I just overlapping it too much? Or leaving it on too long? Too much product? I color her about once every 3 weeks.

Any ideas why her hair is in worse condition now? It looks pretty dry. She conditions 3 times per week.
Colouring anyone hair with oxidative colour even though its only with 1.9% every 3 weeks will have an effect on the hair.
The colour wouldn't need to be taken through every 3 weeks, that's literally opening the cuticle slightly every 3 weeks.
The reason why the colour could be denser than expected is either because the hair is more porous now from the regular applications or it could also be down to the fact that colour touch is pure deposit no lift, so what you get is a true saturated colour whereas with KP it lifts the hair slightly before depositing.

What you can do to provide continue using colour touch, but to save the ends is apply your root tint to dry hair.... This way you have control over where it is applied (more like kp)

To pull some of the colour out on the ends now where it has built up, you can use a deep cleansing shampoo on the ends.
Don't apply any colour to the ends for now.

When the colour finally fades and you feel like you need to colour them again, I'd mix the formula 1 or maybe 1/2 a shade lighter than the base colour, and only apply it for the last 5 mins.

Colouring anyone hair with oxidative colour even though its only with 1.9% every 3 weeks will have an effect on the hair.
The colour wouldn't need to be taken through every 3 weeks, that's literally opening the cuticle slightly every 3 weeks.
The reason why the colour could be denser than expected is either because the hair is more porous now from the regular applications or it could also be down to the fact that colour touch is pure deposit no lift, so what you get is a true saturated colour whereas with KP it lifts the hair slightly before depositing.

What you can do to provide continue using colour touch, but to save the ends is apply your root tint to dry hair.... This way you have control over where it is applied (more like kp)

To pull some of the colour out on the ends now where it has built up, you can use a deep cleansing shampoo on the ends.
Don't apply any colour to the ends for now.

When the colour finally fades and you feel like you need to colour them again, I'd mix the formula 1 or maybe 1/2 a shade lighter than the base colour, and only apply it for the last 5 mins.
Thank you, this was extremely helpful.

Regarding your last paragraph, for when I eventually need to color the ends, would I mist the ends with a little water before doing that?

Thank you, this was extremely helpful.

Regarding your last paragraph, for when I eventually need to color the ends, would I mist the ends with a little water before doing that?
Yes :)

I have just started using illumina on my hair with 20 vol and it feels a little dry afterwards so i was hoping colour touch would be better and more conditioning 😬

Hi Ronray,

I followed your advice and it turned out perfectly. The only little thing I was wondering is, for the ends, I did 4% (level 7) and it turned out fine. (Since I use 4% on the roots for gray).
But should I really have used 1.9% on the ends ideally? My only concern is that the 1.9% might fade a little faster since it doesn’t push the color in as deep maybe and I was trying to neutralize some orange so I used 7/89 on the ends. I just left it on for 5 minutes for a more lightly pigmented look on the ends. It didn’t grab too much or anything.

Her hair condition does seem better now at least. I think some of it was using sea salt spray and previous highlights which also dried the hair.

Hi Ronray,

I followed your advice and it turned out perfectly. The only little thing I was wondering is, for the ends, I did 4% (level 7) and it turned out fine. (Since I use 4% on the roots for gray).
But should I really have used 1.9% on the ends ideally? My only concern is that the 1.9% might fade a little faster since it doesn’t push the color in as deep maybe and I was trying to neutralize some orange so I used 7/89 on the ends. I just left it on for 5 minutes for a more lightly pigmented look on the ends. It didn’t grab too much or anything.

Her hair condition does seem better now at least. I think some of it was using sea salt spray and previous highlights which also dried the hair.
It depends how porous the hair is? The only time I generally use 4% is with the vibrant red shades, colour touch plus, relight and sun lights.

You’re likely correct - CT is more damaging than KP. CT contains ethanolamine, a type of ammonia that will never fully wash out of the hair. KP contains only traditional ammonia, which “leaves” the hair after it is washed. I personally avoid ethanolamine like the plague.

Latest posts

Back