Colored acrylic help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haralynn1231

Reaction score
I've been a nail tech for 4 years now and I've been doing a lot more of colored acrylic sets, and I used to not have any issues with my gel top coats peeling off but lately it's been a big issue! Not one issue at all when I use gel polish over the acrylic enhancement and top coat. It's only when I top coat my colored acrylic sets!

I always cap in clear acrylic, shape with my E-file, then finish file with a 180/100 grit file. I use the 180 side to finish file. I have just about tried everything I can think of! We did get new UV/LED lamps but I make sure I'm curing for the proper time.

I brush dust away, spray with 99% alcohol, and use a lint free wipe to cleanse the nail before top coating. I don't have this issue on every client but it seems to be happening more. But for some reason I don't have a single issue with my gel top coat on my own nails, I always use colored acrylic on myself and I do the exact same thing and use the exact same files/tools I use on my clients on myself.
(I always disinfecte/throw away tools so everyone gets new or properly cleaned tools)

What is happening?? I LOVE colored acrylic and don't want to stop! Most of my clients love it too!

Maybe you want a harder top coat? I am hearing kiara sky, ugly duckling, crystal nails work like a charm with acrylic.. Maybe you are smoothing the surface and top coat "slips"? When you use gel polish it sticks because it has a tacky layer and with encapsulating you smooth everything out and it doest stick?
I am not working with acrylics, just sharing my thoughts!

I use coloured acrylics and use same procedure but I use the gel bottle top coat and so far had no issues maybe worth changing brands x

I've tried a few different gel top coat brands... shellac, Gellish, Ugly Duckling. I can't be filing the acrylic too smooth because I do the same exact filing on my own nails and I have no issues. Same filing steps when I'm using clear acrylic with gel polish over it, I don't have any issues with my gel polish peeling/slipping off. Just top coats when I do colored acrylic sets

maybe the suface isnt rough enough to stick to? try the 100 side instead of 180

Sounds like you’re doing everything spot on.
Are you sure your clients are avoiding cleaning products, wearing gloves etc?
One I found that was removing top coat was sun bed spray cleaner. Took it to happen a few times before I realised. They happened to mention they were going for a subbed straight after their appointment. It’s not always our fault....

Latest posts

Back