Coloring hair extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry another hair extension question lol. The hair extensions that I've had put in are a golden blonde. I want to make them a really light blonde. Is it OK to color my extensions? Should they just react with the dye the same as my normal hair? Is there anything I should be worried about?

If it's any help, my extensions are Remy pearl professional 100% human hair.

Thanks again for any advice.

Sorry another hair extension question lol. The hair extensions that I've had put in are a golden blonde. I want to make them a really light blonde. Is it OK to color my extensions? Should they just react with the dye the same as my normal hair? Is there anything I should be worried about?

Hi
I would definateley ask your hairdresser to test just one first before you do them all , then you will know for sure :hug:

I personally wouldn't recommend colouring the extensions yourself, Get yourself off to see a professional colourist.

Hair extention hairs have been through a rigourous process to get them ready for you- They are boiled, bleached and dyed usually with an industrial dye to prevent fading (same kind of dyes used for fabrics and carpet) These dyes are much harsher than hair dye and have a slightly different make up. Most hair extensions can be colored with deposit only color to deepen or darken, but will melt when they are lightened.

I wouldn't reccommend lightening hair extensions- if you REALLY REALLY want to have your stylist try a test strand to see what happens. You might be lucky and they will lighten, chances are you're stuck with what you've got until you change hair extensions out.

Thank you all for your replies. Perhaps coloring them isn't a good idea after all :) Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back