Coloring on a wig

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShannonM

Reaction score
Hi. :) I'm looking at coloring some wigs in the near future (human brazilian hair). I'm feeling a bit intimidated by the silk top and doing any sort of rooting on these. Have any of you ever worked on wigs before with this (or lace)? What's the best way to avoid it? Originally I was thinking I'd just buy dark and bleach up to my desired level and tone from there, but given the fact this hair has already been processed and color treated...I wonder if my better bet is to start with a blonde and then add a darker root or reverse balayage instead.

I will obviously use a small brush and be super careful but if anyone has any tips or tricks, that would be greatly appreciated. I have heard of someone using vinegar on the actual silk top if it does get stained, but am worried that in getting that stain out, I may also discolor the nearby hair as well. Not sure if that's a viable solution. These will be to sell, so the silk top needs to be stain free.

TIA. :)

Hi hun I make wigs , I don’t use silk tops I use lace closures , if my client has requested a custom colour I will buy 613 bleach blonde hair , if they want it rooted I’ll use a tooth brush and comb the dye through the roots most of the time it never gets on the lace but if you wanna be extra careful you can cover the lace with Vaseline hope this is helpful x

Hi hun I make wigs , I don’t use silk tops I use lace closures , if my client has requested a custom colour I will buy 613 bleach blonde hair , if they want it rooted I’ll use a tooth brush and comb the dye through the roots most of the time it never gets on the lace but if you wanna be extra careful you can cover the lace with Vaseline hope this is helpful x

Hey! Thank you so much! That's very helpful. :) I appreciate the reply! Okay, I'll try using a tooth brush then. That should work. If I were to do the vaseline route, how do you not get vaseline on the hair? My concern is getting vaseline out of the hair may be problematic? Or does it rinse out okay?

I put the Vaseline on the side we’re there for isn’t any hair , I apply only a thin layer on top of the lace I never have any problems with washing it off x

I put the Vaseline on the side we’re there for isn’t any hair , I apply only a thin layer on top of the lace I never have any problems with washing it off x

Okay, sounds good. Thanks again for the help!

I would love to see the befores and afters.

I would love to see the befores and afters.
sure, it'll be a little while as I am just ordering one in to do, but when i get to it, I'll try and remember to post. :)

Latest posts

Back