Colorphlex and Olaplex: in-salon results

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Robertson

Always active Instagram: @stevenrobertsonhair
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My purpose for this post is to show everyone, on my actual clients at the salon the results I've received from using each of colorpHlex and Olaplex. After multiple processes of using both products with my clients obviously washing their hair numerous times over the course of how many weeks betwee their appointments, you can see their results last with both. This post is NOT here to argue and between Olaplex and colorpHlex companies on patents, chemistry, product ingredients or who's product works and doesn't work. So please, spare us!! This post is here to provide, without the use of worthless extension swatches, the results I've received over the last year using both products on different clients, to help stylists who are looking for multiple or alternative products behind the chair make a decision, at least with the 2 products I've used. To be clear, I DO NOT degrade either colorpHlex nor Olaplex or their products individually. And my experience only goes with these two products. I have not tried any of the other alternatives, so if you have questions with those, feel free to create a separate post.

Barbra: First process using Colorphlex:
Barbra - Colorphlex - After process.png

Barbra: After 4 washes about a week later on her wedding day. No hair fell out or became compromised all of a sudden from "coating". Still beautifully healthy!
Barbra - After 4 washes on wedding day.png

Beth: First process with Olaplex. Removed a little length that was compromised on the ends, but we pushed it a little to far, as this process took 6 hours. That was my fault. Not the fault of Olaplex.
Beth - Olaplex - First.png

Beth: Third process, 15 weeks later. Bleach retouch and pulled through ends to bump a bit further and pravana. Still healthy and beautiful! She's still this color, I just haven't reposted the same color, as it's boring.
Beth - Olaplex - 15 weeks later.png

Danielle: First process with ColorpHlex. Always been a blonde, but we decided to push her further to brighter blondes and base bumping. Had to pull bleach through ends to make brighter.
Danielle - Colorphlex - First Process.png

Danielle: Second process. 23 weeks later. Went a deeper golden blonde. Had to hairpaint through base and overlap previous heavy highlight with colorpHlex. Still healthy and beautiful!
Danielle Colorphlex - 23 Weeks later.png

Pheobe: Had a little ombre, but she wanted an all over bright rose and peach ombre. Had to do some heavy hair painting with 40 volume developer and process for a lengthy time period. Used colorphlex. No trim needed.
Pheobe - Colorphlex - First.png

Phoebe: 16 weeks later, she wanted to bleach out all remaining pravana, and go more rose and pink tones. Took 6 hours. Used colorpHlex in all formula. Was even more beautiful than before!
Pheobe - Colorphlex - 16 weeks later.png

Steph: A fellow stylist at my salon. Wanted to start going blond and wanted to use Olaplex to do it. Started off with adding a number of ombre'd highlights just to get her used to the idea of being blond. Hair was beautiful and healthy afterwards.
Steph - Olaplex - First process.png

Steph: 8 weeks later we found time to do the second, for real blonde process, again using Olaplex. 5 hours later, we were able to lift out most of the red, but still had some goldeness to deal with. Will re-approach that in next process. Hair was a tiny bit dry in texture after process, but she's been using the step 3 and Kerastase at home and her hair has returned to it's original healthy and beautiful state!
Steph - Olaplex - 8 weeks later.png

So there you have it. I have hundreds of other before-and-afters that I'm unable to post (10 photos max) that have utilized both products. I am also unbiased (although use choose colorpHlex 98% of the time on my clients now out of sheer choice for my business), and believe that if you are an attentive colorist from the beginning, the results you achieve from either colorpHlex or Olaplex will dramatically improve your clients hair. But if you're not attentive and you're relying on either brand to be lazy and sloppy, I guarantee you're clients healthy hair will no longer healthy nor beautiful, regardless of the additive you're using.

Cheers to the world of hair color :D

Steven Robertson

We don't care.

We've heard enough about 'plex' systems to last us a lifetime.

Great, that's nice but I think we've all had enough now, thank you. :)

Edit: Steven has confirmed that he is NOT affiliated to Colorphlex so I'm happy to re-open the thread and for further discussion to take place, for those still interested.

However, please let's not get into any more bun fights. Thank you.

Last edited:
In regards to the closure and re-opening of this thread, I was asked by the moderator to re-post my explanation to the moderator (which allowed for the reopening of this post) on why the thread should be made available and interactive:

The only affiliation I have with colorpHlex is that I was contracted out to color hair on models for an advertising campaign about 10 or so months ago. I colored models using their product and collected one (1) check in reference to that campaign and moved forward as I have with any advertising work I'm involved with. I was hired for the advertising because 1. My portfolio and book of work in relation the hair industry via NAHA and other numerous other publications as a stylist and 2. Because colorpHlex found me posting and hashtagging my color formulations I use on social media (as shown above with both products) that happened to have their product involved. I post what I use. I am not an employee or contracted employee of colorpHlex...at least as of right now. If that ever changes, I'll be more than happy to add that title to my profile.

My now larger involvement in the 'plex-wars' has been out of sheer frustration with Olaplex reps combating me saying the product I use doesn't work. I'm not concerned if they think it works or not. I understand their constant claim is science. But at the end of the day, they are bias to their employer. They are bias and represent a manufacturer. I do not. I'm a stylist in a salon that carries the likes of Kerastase, Paul Mitchell, Bumble and Bumble, Schwarzkopf, Olaplex, colorpHlex, Redken, Dikson, and the list continues. I'm very well versed in multiple lines, as I work with their products daily. My original posts when I joined this forum merely started with answering questions regarding colorpHlex specifically to those members that were directly asking questions regarding colorpHlex and/or 'alternatives' to Olaplex, if Olaplex wasn't available to them at the time. Then Olaplex got involved to start their 'science, patents, etc' rebuttal. Which turned in to me now defending my claims to using colorpHlex myself (since I use both in my salon, I'm aware of how they both perform). My answers weren't even originally claims, they were just answers to your members thread questions. And my defenses continued to grow, only responding when I was told I was incorrect. As far as I'm concerned, Olaplex stepped out of line by over pushing all of their company material on all the forums when the questions I was answering had nothing to do with them to begin with. I'm aware my opinion is 'of the few'. And I'm ok with that. My experiences and resume offer me a valid opinion when using products.

My apologies for the constant combating, but if Olaplex reps are going to openly give all their information biased, then I for sure should be able to as a stylist and NOT a representative. I feel it's unethical as a forum to close my thread, and not close any other threads that have Olaplex or colorpHlex employees battling their legal jargon back and forth to each other. My thread clearly represented two different product lines equally from a stylist's point of view.

This forum and forums in general are made for stylists opinions and experiences; questions and victories; mistakes and to help each other learn from our experiences. That's what I'm doing.
Thank you for being open to that,

Steven Robertson
www.stevenrobertsonhair.com
@stevenrobertson

We don't care.

We've heard enough about 'plex' systems to last us a lifetime.
I agree with cams and it seems more to me you're pushing and plugging...

And as you say, it's an open forum and everyone's entitled to their opinion. You love colorplex we love olaplex. Once you find something you like it will take a lot of budging

I agree with cams and it seems more to me you're pushing and plugging...

And as you say, it's an open forum and everyone's entitled to their opinion. You love colorplex we love olaplex. Once you find something you like it will take a lot of budging

I understand, and it for sure started to come off that way. But I figured if they are going to argue with me, I would go right ahead and do it back. Just as it would come across on my end that you and @cams97 and other Olaplex lovers are plugging and pushing Olaplex. But since Olaplex is currently of the far more successful brand and following, your comments are never read as plugging and pushy because of agreeance in the masses. I know my opinion is of the few. But when I was pushed, I pushed back. I'm merely staying firm to my belief and experiences and sharing them, as are everyone else. You are obviously right to love Olaplex! I do to. I'm not here to persuade anyone away from Olaplex, or really even keep anyone from using or trying it to begin with. That would be impossible! It sells itself. I'm making aware my experiences with two brands so if someone is in need and/or colorpHlex is available to them and Olaplex may not be, or they would simply like to try or use something else because they don't want to use Olaplex, that I've also tried and succeeded with both and here's my formulations on how I did so; and that no, the clients hair is not going to become compromised and fall out from colorpHlex as these video's being posted have shared on extension swatches. And if Olaplex directly wants to push back at me in disagreement, then I will do so too as a stylist and my successes, not a representative of colorpHlex. But only when they've started it first! I'm defending my own opinion and experiences as a stylist. Not the brands/products. That's a byproduct. You are very welcome to love and use whatever brand you want! As I stated in the beginning of this post, this thread was not meant to argue back and forth the power of brands and companies. Like you've both said...we don't care. This post is for people interested in other options. If you don't care and are sick of anything 'plex' related, don't open the thread and get involved. Just stay true to your product you love and ignore everything else.

Again, I don't disagree with you, minus the fact that I'm not pushing and plugging. You and many others just happen to love one product. And that's fine. I love two.

This is a hair forum! it's called advice, someone has a problem, a solution is offered. . Not one person has set up a thread sounding bitter about a product.

Would you come on here ranting about a different hair colour brand because we all love Matrix, Wella, Igora, Paul Mitchell ETC? Probably not.

Do you find Sweet Squared all over the nail section setting up posts stating CND Shellac is the best and why other geeks chosen nail enhancemrnts are wrong? Nope!

To be honest, you came on here seemingly throwing your toys about after getting your fingers burnt, this isn't what a forum is about.
It's about helping other geeks in hair, nail and skin with any queries, advice or business needs.

I'm glad you like both products, and after months of virtually most hair posts have been about a "plex" of some description, I'm afraid we're all plexed out, a little late to the party :)

I do however find it odd you joined a month ago and the only things you have 'helped' with is 'plex' threads.

This is a hair forum! it's called advice, someone has a problem, a solution is offered. . Not one person has set up a thread sounding bitter about a product.

Would you come on here ranting about a different hair colour brand because we all love Matrix, Wella, Igora, Paul Mitchell ETC? Probably not.

Do you find Sweet Squared all over the nail section setting up posts stating CND Shellac is the best and why other geeks chosen nail enhancemrnts are wrong? Nope!

To be honest, you came on here seemingly throwing your toys about after getting your fingers burnt, this isn't what a forum is about.
It's about helping other geeks in hair, nail and skin with any queries, advice or business needs.

I'm glad you like both products, and after months of virtually most hair posts have been about a "plex" of some description, I'm afraid we're all plexed out, a little late to the party :)
I do however find it odd you joined a month ago and the only things you have 'helped' with is 'plex' threads.
Feel how you both need to feel! I never said any product was wrong or superiour. I stood up for one that was getting beat down by everyone else. Which is why I've only 'helped' 'plex' threads so far, cause as of right now, that's all I have time for. I wake up every morning to find yet another comment against my posts all from what you "think" is happening. And the comments continue throughout the day. So here I am yet again, wasting my time re-explaining myself. So as soon as all of you can move on with your own interests, I'm happy to dive in to other color-related threads and give some real input.

Well you shouldve left the thread locked then. This Is a public forum and if you dont want people commenting on your threads then don't post them - simples lol

You can't expect to post what you did and not get replies, we're not just going to sit here and be quiet because you're bored of defending yourself on a thread which was closed and you threw your rattle to get re opened

Well you shouldve left the thread locked then. This Is a public forum and if you dont want people commenting on your threads then don't post them - simples lol

You can't expect to post what you did and not get replies, we're not just going to sit here and be quiet because you're bored of defending yourself on a thread which was closed and you threw your rattle to get re opened

Indeed I love comments! Your comments are not contributing to this original post. You're mad about colorpHlex. It's fine. We know your mad about it. So post something helpful...like an experience you've had with Olaplex since that's what you love/use and this post is also about them. Or an actual experience you've had with colorpHlex in salon. Not heresay. Good or bad experiences. Or questions for that matter. But make it about what has worked and/or what hasn't worked with your product experience. Your being mad about the post from the get go isn't effective or contributing.

Indeed I love comments! Your comments are not contributing to this original post. You're mad about colorpHlex. It's fine. We know your mad about it. So post something helpful...like an experience you've had with Olaplex since that's what you love/use and this post is also about them. Or an actual experience you've had with colorpHlex in salon. Not heresay. Good or bad experiences. Or questions for that matter. But make it about what has worked and/or what hasn't worked with your product experience. Your being mad about the post from the get go isn't effective or contributing.

We are not mad at colorphlex! We just don't like that colorphlex claim to do something which scientifically it can't with its ingredients.

We are not mad at colorphlex! We just don't like that colorphlex claim to do something which scientifically it can't with its ingredients.
That's effective right there! Good!!! And you know what, I'm not a chemist or scientist or whatever so I don't feel I can educate effectively on the ingredients. I'm not defending their claims in science. Don't care about claims. As far as I'm concerned, any science in any product, patent or not patent doesn't phase me. If I use it and it works, I'm in. If I use it and it doesn't, I'm moving on. But from my clients own hair, I've seen great and equal results using both. Do I let my clients sit with 40 volume bleach on their heads for 4 hours to test? Of course not. But from my real-time in-salon experience, with major color corrections that last 5+ hours bleaching and general highlights over a normal 2.5-3 hour appointment (I don't use either Olaplex or colorpHlex as stand alone treatments, as we use Kerastase treatments to upgrade our services), I have felt that both products offered my clients the same health upgrade even after they return. I know I've read that colorpHlex washes out and the compromised hair returns, however, if that was the case, I would have no clients. It's simply not true! Claim or no claim.

Lol I never said I was mad at colourphlex not once, it was the way you conducted yourself that upset a few people. As I said you can't expect to put a post up as you did and expect nothing.

You clearly underlined and in bold stated this is NOT to open an argument ETC it's olaphlex who you've got a gripe with You made that perfectly clear, and all you've done is try to shut the people up who have commented... Take your concerns to them directly if you have issues

Lol I never said I was mad at colourphlex not once, it was the way you conducted yourself that upset a few people. As I said you can't expect to put a post up as you did and expect nothing.

You clearly underlined and in bold stated this is NOT to open an argument ETC it's olaphlex who you've got a gripe with You made that perfectly clear, and all you've done is try to shut the people up who have commented... Take your concerns to them directly if you have issues
Umm... I just had a wonderful exchange of conversation and debate exchange with @Tori1992. She stated and actual annoyance with the product and I let her know my thoughts without disregarding her annoyance. That's debating. She is not incorrect in how she feels about ingredients. Neither am I from my day-to-day experience. You came in to this contributing nothing, merely stating I was plugging and pushing. My argument is yes, with Olaplex to a degree, but it's also fending off unhelpful commentary from the bleachers (you).

Lol you amuse me, but I really must be getting ready to go out for dinner

Lol you amuse me, but I really must be getting ready to go out for dinner
I wish I could join :) all that made me hungry. Next time!

Quick question about colorphlex, I have a few single trial packs it says in instructions after colour to rinse hair. Don't you need to wash it after to get the colour off properly? Same with the second treatment it only says to rinse.

Quick question about colorphlex, I have a few single trial packs it says in instructions after colour to rinse hair. Don't you need to wash it after to get the colour off properly? Same with the second treatment it only says to rinse.
Great question! You do not need to shampoo the hair before applying the Step 2. Just rinse thoroughly and apply step 2 on damp hair for up to 10 minutes. With color, a thorough rinse should be able to flush off all the color (even on my colors that I don't use colorpHlex, I only rinse and condition or deep treat; rarely do I shampoo after a fresh color). The only exception I personally make to this rule is if I can't get all the powder bleach rinsed out (usually in finer hair texture that holds on to the grittiness) and I am looking to either tone or glaze color back in to the bleached hair. In that case, I would do a light, quick shampoo, tone or glaze, rinse out the toner/glaze, followed by step 2 for up to 10 minutes.

Latest posts

Back