SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBL2020

Reaction score
Hi! After some advice on a client I'm doing a colour for please.

She has a natural ginger root coming through into previously coloured hair (around base 5/6 with hints of red/purple).

She is wanting to lighten her overall colour (to a base 7) with ash tones running into a balyage (as light as achievable in 1st go.)

My question is how would you do this? would you pre lighten all the hair and then do a reverse balyage? My biggest problem is I can deal with roots and ends but I'm not sure how to lighten in between .

I'm fully qualified by the way but I have had some time off and currently returning to the industry

Thanks!

She has a natural ginger root coming through into previously coloured hair (around base 5/6 with hints of red/purple).

She is wanting to lighten her overall colour (to a base 7) with ash tones running into a balyage (as light as achievable in 1st go.)

My question is how would you do this? would you pre lighten all the hair and then do a reverse balyage? My biggest problem is I can deal with roots and ends but I'm not sure how to lighten in between .

I'm fully qualified by the way but I have had some time off and currently returning to the industry

Thanks!
I'd go in with a colour remover first. Remove as much of those red and purple tones as possible. Then I'd concentrate on lightening the ends. You have to be realistic about what you can achieve here, as well as her being realistic about what she's expecting of you. I would be surprised if you can get it past a level 8 with one bleach after a colour remover. Then I would tone the root down to a natural level 6, and then tone the ends accordingly.
If she's naturally copper, will ash/cool tones suit her? This is something that will have to be done in stages. I'd aim for lighter and neutral tones first then work on achieving her goal across the next 2 appointments as we all know lighter and ash are very hard to achieve, especially when we have bands of darker colour and red and purple tones to cut through first!.

Thanks!

Personally I think I would do highlights to lift the colour out , but still do her root colour in between for now so it’s not ginger roots into dark & highlighted ends , then I’d do a root toner to blend the highlights into the root colour and just gradually get lighter and lighter every time but it’s going to take a lot of sessions to get it lighter overall why does she want to go lighter ? and like Ronray said If she’s naturally ginger will an ashy blonde suit her?

Latest posts

Back