Colour advise

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sel

Reaction score
My new client has been having highlights for the last few services and now she wants a all over colour as the highlights are not covering her whites and sometimes the highlights are not coloured from the roots when she leaves the salon. She has a colour that she wants to aim too… any advise would be appreciated .. I work with wella 😊.

Please note I have advise that it make take few sessions before it grabs the aimed colour First picture is my clients hair and the second is the one she likes

Attachments

• BCC651B6-D996-414E-8BAD-6455E6631FC1.jpeg
    BCC651B6-D996-414E-8BAD-6455E6631FC1.jpeg
    527.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 6EF888A0-2CBD-4988-B9DB-DA4B5E97F64B.png
    6EF888A0-2CBD-4988-B9DB-DA4B5E97F64B.png
    9.7 MB · Views: 0
I would educate her on the fact that she will see a line when it grows out. You could do hightliggrs and tint in between but even still she wont have longevity with the service.

My new client has been having highlights for the last few services and now she wants a all over colour as the highlights are not covering her whites and sometimes the highlights are not coloured from the roots when she leaves the salon. She has a colour that she wants to aim too… any advise would be appreciated .. I work with wella 😊.

Please note I have advise that it make take few sessions before it grabs the aimed colour First picture is my clients hair and the second is the one she likes
Because of how dark she is naturally, I probably wouldn't use tint to lift it. You'll end up with a brassy mess after a few weeks.
How I would tackle this is to do a full head baby lights, then tone using a demi/quasi range. So in your case Wella colour touch.
This will create a lightened, but cooler effect for her roots with a better blend for her regrowth.
You can tone accordingly but I'd probably be looking at 7/97 + 7/89 + 6/71 for the base and then use 3parts 7/97 + 1part 8/71 for the ends

Because of how dark she is naturally, I probably wouldn't use tint to lift it. You'll end up with a brassy mess after a few weeks.
How I would tackle this is to do a full head baby lights, then tone using a demi/quasi range. So in your case Wella colour touch.
This will create a lightened, but cooler effect for her roots with a better blend for her regrowth.
You can tone accordingly but I'd probably be looking at 7/97 + 7/89 + 6/71 for the base and then use 3parts 7/97 + 1part 8/71 for the ends
So when I have done full head baby lights then the toner what do you mean by base and ends? Tone the roots with 7/97 + 7/89 + 6/71 then the midlenghts and ends with 3 parts 7/97 + 1part 8/71?

Also going forward what will be the process? Keep doing baby lights and tone as it fades?

So when I have done full head baby lights then the toner what do you mean by base and ends? Tone the roots with 7/97 + 7/89 + 6/71 then the midlenghts and ends with 3 parts 7/97 + 1part 8/71?

Also going forward what will be the process? Keep doing baby lights and tone as it fades?
Yeah so after the baby lights , do your root blend with the 7/97, 7/89 + 6/71 and then blend that in to the toner for the ends.
Because on the photo the ends are a lighter warmer beige colour.

I think what you have been doing is still the best way to blend her whites popping through because she’s naturally so dark. Adding a Demi permanent when you do the highlights would be better coverage.
If shes got this idea in her head which I know often clients do by thinking an all over colour will be the answer/easier she’s wrong. by darkening her hair colour even with very blended highlights it doesn’t stop the whites showing, they often look more obvious against the darker base.
The colour she has picked is lovely but maybe add a money piece and baby lights round the hairline/parting and toning the rest to the base suggested above. That way you are still blending whites as well as covering the Base and making the overall colour deeper. She’s also not then tied to full head of highlights and can have just the base colour on her roots done every other visit.

Last edited:
I think what you have been doing is still the best way to blend her whites popping through because she’s naturally so dark. Adding a Demi permanent when you do the highlights would be better coverage.
If shes got this idea in her head which I know often clients do by thinking an all over colour will be the answer/easier she’s wrong. by darkening her hair colour even with very blended highlights it doesn’t stop the whites showing, they often look more obvious against the darker base.
The colour she has picked is lovely but maybe add a money piece and baby lights round the hairline/parting and toning the rest to the base suggested above. That way you are still blending whites as well as covering the Base and making the overall colour deeper. She’s also not then tied to full head of highlights and can have just the base colour on her roots done every other visit.
Thank you for your advise😊…I’m a little confused by one thing - so if I was to do baby lights and tone as ronray has mentioned, when her roots come through and she is ready for colour again… will I be doing highlights and toning again? And going forward.

Or do I just match the the toner for roots colour and touch up her roots there after ? And at some point run the colour through if it’s carded?
Also will this not have a line/band ?

Yeah so after the baby lights , do your root blend with the 7/97, 7/89 + 6/71 and then blend that in to the toner for the ends.
Because on the photo the ends are a lighter warmer beige colour.
Thank you, I thought of these as well but wasn’t sure if it will be too dark for her as she is quite light at the moment but the picture she has provided is darker than her blondes and lighter than her natural.

I will use equal parts of colour touch 7//97+7//89+6//71 with 1.9%?
Bleach with 6% to do the baby lights ?

Thank you, I thought of these as well but wasn’t sure if it will be too dark for her as she is quite light at the moment but the picture she has provided is darker than her blondes and lighter than her natural.

I will use equal parts of colour touch 7//97+7//89+6//71 with 1.9%?
Bleach with 6% to do the baby lights ?
Yeah that's what I would do

Yeah that's what I would do
Hi ronray… my client has sent me this I think it’s a closer look to of the first picture I sent it’s quiet warm … so me doing baby lights 6% bleach and then tone with 7/97-7/89-6/71 will I Still achieve similar tone? This picture looks Warmer than the one I sent first I think

Attachments

• 70CF43F4-D514-46F4-9BDE-AAA421BAE5F7.jpeg
    70CF43F4-D514-46F4-9BDE-AAA421BAE5F7.jpeg
    363 KB · Views: 0
Hi ronray… my client has sent me this I think it’s a closer look to of the first picture I sent it’s quiet warm … so me doing baby lights 6% bleach and then tone with 7/97-7/89-6/71 will I Still achieve similar tone? This picture looks Warmer than the one I sent first I think
This looks warmer than the average be before. My go to for this would probably be 7/97 + 7/73 colour touch

This looks warmer than the average be before. My go to for this would probably be 7/97 + 7/73 colour touch
Thank you I will do equal amounts with 1.9%

Latest posts

Back