Colour blending, how does it work in practice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ella1991

Reaction score
Hi,
I just taking my CND complete course and I'm a bit confused about the colour blending of gels and L&P. I undrestand the concept that you can blend to offer a individual service to match client needs and skin tone. Also that saves you having to buy loads of different colours but how does it work in practise.

I guess my question are..
1. How do you know how much to mix...don't want to waste product but don't want to get half way through a set and not have enough.
2. What do you mix it in/with
3. Can you store once mixed and how - say a client has a fav colour you know they'll want angain
4. If you can't store how do you track what colours you have mixed for each client, especially if they are say ' oh add a bit more red etc'
5.Are there any 'recipes' for popular colours

Sorry for all the questions but I'm just not getting how it works in practice.

Hi,
I just taking my CND complete course and I'm a bit confused about the colour blending of gels and L&P. I undrestand the concept that you can blend to offer a individual service to match client needs and skin tone. Also that saves you having to buy loads of different colours but how does it work in practise.

I guess my question are..
1. How do you know how much to mix...don't want to waste product but don't want to get half way through a set and not have enough.
2. What do you mix it in/with
3. Can you store once mixed and how - say a client has a fav colour you know they'll want angain
4. If you can't store how do you track what colours you have mixed for each client, especially if they are say ' oh add a bit more red etc'
5.Are there any 'recipes' for popular colours

Sorry for all the questions but I'm just not getting how it works in practice.

If I custom blend a powder for a client, I make small amounts and I put the ratios or recipe, on their client record card. I store in a small plastic pot with the client's name on it. Other colours that I have mixed to do coloured tips or nail art I note the recipe on the bottom of the jar and store with my other powders. Your trainer will guide you on amounts. Gels I mix as I work with them and sometimes there is a small amount of wastage but it is paid for in my charge for the custom treatment.

If I custom blend a powder for a client, I make small amounts and I put the ratios or recipe, on their client record card. I store in a small plastic pot with the client's name on it. Other colours that I have mixed to do coloured tips or nail art I note the recipe on the bottom of the jar and store with my other powders. Your trainer will guide you on amounts. Gels I mix as I work with them and sometimes there is a small amount of wastage but it is paid for in my charge for the custom treatment.

Thank you Geeg, I knew you would have the answer....onto ebay to buy some little pots then :)

Actually one more quick question - if you are mixing gels as you go would you recommend abase layer of clear gel and then a coloured layer. So that when you rebalance you buff off all the coloured (and most of clear) so your not going to have to match your last coloured gel....or I guess if your buffing most of it doesn't matter that much....sorry answering my own question I think

Last edited:
Thank you Geeg, I knew you would have the answer....onto ebay to buy some little pots then :)

Actually one more quick question - if you are mixing gels as you go would you recommend abase layer of clear gel and then a coloured layer. So that when you rebalance you buff off all the coloured (and most of clear) so your not going to have to match your last coloured gel....or I guess if your buffing most of it doesn't matter that much....sorry answering my own question I think

Yes. I would always put a clear layer first if using hard gel.

But look out for Brisa Lite soak off Sculpting gel for enhancements ... you will be able then to soak off and start afresh instead of all that buffing or you have the option to infill and keep the service going for as long as the client wants you to. And no nail buffing!!! So excited!

Last edited:
One gal in my area has just received her Brisa Lite.... she purchased through USA where she used to live . I can not wait for our Cosmoprof to have it in stock as well.

Rachael and I will be getting together soon so I can see her new kit! So very excited! Have a great day.....

Sorry one more question on this...:) the brain takes a bit to process it all....if I'm colour blending with additives do you generally start with the white or one of the opaque gels?....thanks sorry to be a bit thick on this

Latest posts

Back