Colour change advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura Diiuorio

Reaction score
Hi.
I need a little colour advice. I don’t often work with bright colours but I have a customer whose hair I pre lightened and dyed half yellow half orange. She would now like to go like the picture at the bottom and I’m not sure how to go about it. Would I need to strip out or pre colour etc. TIA
D56DE9E9-B86E-49D2-BB82-0FDC5A908504.jpeg55885D28-88AF-4115-B0A3-ABAA306B2E35.jpeg

What products did you use in the original pic? Depending on what type of tint was used is the starting point for your next step.

Hey' I'm doing the same thing to myself (I was black and blond split and going copper).

Firstly if those are direct tints (I imagine so due to the neon) then they are likely to fade. So I wouldn't treat them like a tint per se. But I am still in training. I think some more information would be helpful.

Yes sorry that would help.. I used arctic fox colours. The orange has faded a fair amount but yellow still looks very bright that’s the side I’m most stuck with.
I use L’Oréal colours usually :)
Thanks for your help

I haven’t tried Artic Fox direct dyes but I think they’re similar to Splat which tends to stain quite a bit, if the hair is very porous underneath. So, I’d be cautious as a lack of fade would probably indicate damaged hair.

If it’s still very vivid, try using a direct dye remover to remove some of the colour and make it less bright. Malibu DDL is a good brand although there are a few others, inc. Joico, which I personally like. Look for products that are specifically for use with direct dyes and don’t need mixing with peroxide.

I also think it might be wise to lower your clients expectations regarding chopping and changing her hair colour after using these types of tint. The problem will be trying to get both sides to look the same when re-coloured. If the direct dye remover doesn’t do much, you could try a mild bleach wash but it will cause further damage so I’d be very clear about that. The clients I have who use these types of products and swap their colours often, tend to have very short/pixie type cuts where the damage will grow out quickly enough.

Thankyou that’s great I will do just that

Latest posts

Back