Colour change not going as wanted

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrubadub

Reaction score
I’m a beautician and work in a salon and wanted to change my hair colour from a 2 to around a 6 so booked an appointment at work.

Before I go on I have box dyed my hair LOADS of times, like every colour, and never really had any issues with getting the colour I wanted.

I have been colouring my hair black for a couple of years and obviously had build up so the hairdresser bleach bathed it to lift the black which didn’t lift all the colour so had to have a 3 put on it to blend out the black that is still left.

To say I’m annoyed is an understatement as I could have done this myself and gotten the results I wanted for a lot cheaper.

The question is now what do I do? I want to box lighten it and colour it to a 6 but I don’t want to insult my work colleague but I am really annoyed as I’ve wasted time and money to not get what I wanted! And I don’t really want to wait 6 weeks to have it done again

Sounds like you should a) stop using cheap box dyes and b) find a more experienced colourist.

Removing a build up of box dye is always a bit hit and miss because clients usually apply a variety of brands and you end up doing several strand tests trying to find the best compromise solution. Black colour build up is notoriously difficult to lift it evenly plus the repeat use of strong developers (from the box dyes) on the same section of hair will ruin the cuticle layer causing porosity issues and leading to patchiness when re-colouring. Luckily (!) the silicones in the conditioners supplied with the box dyes will mask some of the damage.

Agree with AcidPerm,

Don't use anything else on your hair if your going to lighten it due to metallic salts in box dyes

They can cause havoc when lightening! Get yourself a more expieranced hairdresser they will firgure out the best way forward with the current condition and amount of colour in your hair :)

Latest posts

Back