Colour choice with Wella red tones?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelsxo

Reaction score
Hey, just wondering if anyone can help me out with this..
So this is my clients hair at the moment.. and she’s wanting to go a bit darker/redder and more of an intense red colour on the ends (uploaded pics). She’s hating how light it’s faded and wants to be more dark than light.

Last time we did 6/7 + 4% for the root, but she’s wanting more reddish tones.. also I’m aware that her natural root will grab to something red and the rest of her hair has colour build up.. and I’m aware colour doesn’t lift colour but I’m thinking something over the top of the colour to give it almost a sheen/gloss of red similar to the pics.

Also would I need to break the bottoms up with some Of the dark colour? And then put the red in with a toner? Or could I pull both colours through the ends?

Thankyou in advance!
Any help is much appreciated I haven’t done any work with reds! :)

Attachments

• D1CA70E8-0619-46F8-B353-EEB3181F0C5A.jpeg
    D1CA70E8-0619-46F8-B353-EEB3181F0C5A.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 045978C8-7005-4198-8669-4B5910B3CAC4.jpeg
    045978C8-7005-4198-8669-4B5910B3CAC4.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 4F9AB2F2-8C4B-4892-AEAE-ED622C3D2661.jpeg
    4F9AB2F2-8C4B-4892-AEAE-ED622C3D2661.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 47
So she likes a darker almost burgundy tone on her root, then more red through mids and ends?

What about prestain the lightened areas with a red mousse or semi dried in, then 5/5 with 4% roots, run through some areas straight away. Develop 20 mins, then 5/5 plus 1.9% through the rest.

It's the same reflect throughout with some darker areas.

Or if you want more definition, prestain, dry in, 5/5 and 4% on natural, 5/3 and a bit of 5/5 with 1.9 foiled to give a more streaky look then 5/5 with 1.9% on rest.

Just remember to apply enough product, and leave it long enough to be absorbed and oxidized properly.

Take a look at 4/75 for the root freehand some sections with this through the mid lengths and ends. Then with the hair left out apply colour touch 66/45 with 4%.

So she likes a darker almost burgundy tone on her root, then more red through mids and ends?

What about prestain the lightened areas with a red mousse or semi dried in, then 5/5 with 4% roots, run through some areas straight away. Develop 20 mins, then 5/5 plus 1.9% through the rest.

It's the same reflect throughout with some darker areas.

Or if you want more definition, prestain, dry in, 5/5 and 4% on natural, 5/3 and a bit of 5/5 with 1.9 foiled to give a more streaky look then 5/5 with 1.9% on rest.

Just remember to apply enough product, and leave it long enough to be absorbed and oxidized properly.

So I could pre stain with perfection /44 on the ends/lighter areas? Would 5/5 + 4% be intense for her natural? Would I put a colour on the darker/mids of her hair to get a more burgundy/red tone to it? X

Take a look at 4/75 for the root freehand some sections with this through the mid lengths and ends. Then with the hair left out apply colour touch 66/45 with 4%.
Thankyou! Would I need to mix something different for her natural root and the darker colour/mids of her hair? Worried the root is going to look a little glowy? X

Thankyou! Would I need to mix something different for her natural root and the darker colour/mids of her hair? Worried the root is going to look a little glowy? X
I would use 1.9% with the base colour because you're depositing only.

So to mix 4/75 + 1.9% for her natural root and 4/75 + 4% for mids/already coloured hair.. am I going to get darker/colour buildup/banding here or will it be okay? X

I would use 1.9% with the base colour because you're depositing only.
Thankyou! What about the mids/non natural roots of her hair would you colour over that as well so it has a red/burgundy tone to it? And would you pre pig with perfectos /44 or would it be okay to go in without pre tone? X

Yes, I'd put it right through and leave out the sections you want to colour red. And yes prepig with perfecton will definitely help even the pirosity out. It won't cling to the natural anywya so don't worry about that.

Yes, I'd put it right through and leave out the sections you want to colour red. And yes prepig with perfecton will definitely help even the pirosity out. It won't cling to the natural anywya so don't worry about that.
Thankyou so much for your help!!! Result turned out amazing!!!!

Attachments

• 937E5D44-3E6A-484F-A125-1A5A24A10EC4.jpeg
    937E5D44-3E6A-484F-A125-1A5A24A10EC4.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 33
Sorry to jump on your post. Could I please ask what you used on the ends ? It looks lovely x

Looks really good. Glad I was helpful .
Also I'd just like to say thank you for uploading a picture. It's not often we get to see the end result of the advice we give here :)

Sorry to jump on your post. Could I please ask what you used on the ends ? It looks lovely x
Thank you so much!☺️ Sorry I’ve only just seen this!
I used perfection /43 to begin with and then CT 66/45 + 4% in foils

Thanks again @ronray! X

This time my client would like the brown colour more red, so I’m thinking of using 5/5 instead of 5/75..
Will 5/5 on her natural root be too glowy? Or would it be okay when using 1.9% I always worry the mids/darker colour isn’t going to be as vibrant due to the colour build up.

or could I even add some 66/45 in with 4/75?
what would you recommend?

she also wants to add more of the red pieces throughout..
so should I pre pig again and just add more of the packets? Or would I need to add some more bleach?
Thanks in Advance :)

This time my client would like the brown colour more red, so I’m thinking of using 5/5 instead of 5/75..
Will 5/5 on her natural root be too glowy? Or would it be okay when using 1.9% I always worry the mids/darker colour isn’t going to be as vibrant due to the colour build up.

so should I pre pig again and just add more of the packets? Or would I need to add some more bleach?

Remind me how dark she is naturally?
Did she have any root glow from the 4/75?
If you have magma that'd be great for adding pops of brighter red. If not then you could just go over it with the 66/45 and add some sections of the 77/44 +4% that's really bright :) bleaching it first would be nice to start off with, but will fade quite quickly.

She’s naturally around a base 6 I’d say. I think there is a photo up top from the before last time.

no, I don’t remember any root glow last time. Maybe I’ll get some magma then! Would you use the magma where I want to add More bright pieces? And on any already lightened pieces?

would you add 77/44 as well as 66/45?

Will I still need to pre pig this time? I assume she has lost all the red now as it’s been ages since her last appointment

Thanks so much! X

She’s naturally around a base 6 I’d say! I think there is a photo up there from the before last time.

no, I don’t remember any root glow last time. Maybe I’ll get some magma then! Would you use the magma where I want to add More bright pieces? And on any already lightened pieces?

would you add 77/44 as well as 66/45 in foils?

would I need to pre pig again this time with /43?
Thanks again! X

Would 5/5 make it more red instead of 5/75?
Or should I mix 5/75 + 66/45 ?

Yes 5/5 is more red than 5/75 but its not vibrant. If you want a more rich / slightly vibrant colour add 66/45 :)

Latest posts

Back