Colour confused

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shomen

Reaction score
Hi, desperately looking for some help here with what colour to use on my roots. Had my hair lightened 3 weeks ago so I could go a red shade (I was previously a darkish brown). My roots are coming in and are grey/white). I bought koleston perfect 66/46 (hairdresser told me to!) but oh dear far to bright compared to rest of hair. Also not keen on the rest of my hair colour as it's too red and I feel like a beacon. Was hoping for a more subtle brown/red like a mahogany or something. Going to a wedding on Saturday and can't afford to get roots done every 3 weeks so usually do my own in between my 6 weekly visits. I would really appreciate some advice. The hairdresser did use a mix but only wrote down the 66/46 for me to use so have no idea what other colour she used. Thanks in advance

Hi, desperately looking for some help here with what colour to use on my roots. Had my hair lightened 3 weeks ago so I could go a red shade (I was previously a darkish brown). My roots are coming in and are grey/white). I bought koleston perfect 66/46 (hairdresser told me to!) but oh dear far to bright compared to rest of hair. Also not keen on the rest of my hair colour as it's too red and I feel like a beacon. Was hoping for a more subtle brown/red like a mahogany or something. Going to a wedding on Saturday and can't afford to get roots done every 3 weeks so usually do my own in between my 6 weekly visits. I would really appreciate some advice. The hairdresser did use a mix but only wrote down the 66/46 for me to use so have no idea what other colour she used. Thanks in advance

Any respectable hairdresser wouldn't recommend a non professional to use a pro product themselves...this is a pro site.

This is the reason colouring should be left to us, who trained for years to learn the science behind the colour...no doubt whatever i say wouldn't make you go to a salon and have your colour done so by all means correct it yourself, but you won't get any advice here.

You're absolutely right and a professional shouldn't be telling someone with more than 50% grey to use a vibrant red with a p5. Not very professional don't you think?

You're absolutely right and a professional shouldn't be telling someone with more than 50% grey to use a vibrant red with a p5. Not very professional don't you think?

a p5?

Why dont you go to a salon or another hairdresser and have your colour sorted, atleast that way, if there's any problem with the colour, they would correct it for you, now because a hairdresser has wrongly advised you on a colour you shouldn't be using, you have to spend further and damage your hair further to correct it.

If it's money that's an issue, which i know it is for a lot of people these days, find a salon that needs models for training apprentices...it might sound scary but if the apprentices aren't confident, they will have a stylist there making sure they're doing everything right and to help them with the consultation and colour choice, and if they are confident, you have nothing to worry about :)

P5 is pyrazole (koleston ingredient) not recommended for hair with over 50% grey/white. You are right about the cost, I don't mind going to hairdressers every 6 weeks for colour, but because of grey/white roots, I need to go at least every 3 weeks and this is obviously an extra expense I could do without. But I still want my hair professionally coloured (you do know best) and am going to look into finding a salon that needs models to practice on.
Thanks for advice, much appreciated, you must get fed up repeating yourself :D

P5 is pyrazole (koleston ingredient) not recommended for hair with over 50% grey/white. You are right about the cost, I don't mind going to hairdressers every 6 weeks for colour, but because of grey/white roots, I need to go at least every 3 weeks and this is obviously an extra expense I could do without. But I still want my hair professionally coloured (you do know best) and am going to look into finding a salon that needs models to practice on.
Thanks for advice, much appreciated, you must get fed up repeating yourself :D

haha not atall...atleast you have used this forum in the correct way, most people come here expecting us to recommend those bloody foam colours.

good luck with your search for a salon, i'm sure you won't have to look far :)

Latest posts

Back