Colour correction nightmare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penners

Reaction score
Hi, I have a situation with my sister-in-law, she insists on colouring her hair various bright red or copper colours with box dyes and then asks me to highlight a few packets through the top section, i've done it twice now and in my opinion failed at both attempts producing a 'fruit salad chew' effect ( orange and pink) shes been totally non-bothered about this as she then likes to add another colour a couple of months later to give a multi-tonal effect!
I have explained over and over again about the issues and the detrimental effect to her hairs condition(she has soft baby fine hair which she is growing from very short to layered bob) I did think she had taken notice as she was just having it cut but now she thinks i'll colour it again.
I'm going to man-up and phone her and say NO but just wondered if anyone else has this problem. thanks:Scared:

I would tell her if she wants you to do anything with regards to colour on her hair then you only use professional colours on it. I'm reckoning that if her hair was to start falling out she'd manage to blame your highlights rather than the crap in the boxes.

Thanks for replying, I do only ever use pro products on her hair, its the colours she puts on in between :rolleyes: and lifting various layers of who knows what off her hair isn't a simple process as the hair with the least colour on lifts first and I end up in a complicated fiddly situation where i'm wiping some bleach off then reapplying to the stubborn red - all the time using low % bleach to try and limit damage - aargh - I say!

Thanks for replying, I do only ever use pro products on her hair, its the colours she puts on in between :rolleyes: and lifting various layers of who knows what off her hair isn't a simple process as the hair with the least colour on lifts first and I end up in a complicated fiddly situation where i'm wiping some bleach off then reapplying to the stubborn red - all the time using low % bleach to try and limit damage - aargh - I say!

I meant be firmer about it being ONLY professional colours on her hair, no in-between times box dyes.

You should tell her if she carries on using box colours you will not colour her hair again. Just explain to her it makes it very difficult for you to lift it x
272 × 400 - 21KBluuux.

Not sure what is on the end of my message there lol x

That's not on. Tell her to touch a box again and you will either refuse to do it, or find 18% and just bleach for 30 mins with that. Xoxo

I wouldn't do it.... I refuse to put my name on anything I can't control or be blamed for if it goes wrong!!

One of these times her hair will be so weak from the dye that the highlighted sections will start breaking sooner than the rest ... And who will the fingers be pointed at?? 'But it's only started breaking where you colour it'

Not 'oh we'll I have asked you to double process it then I go and put another colour on-top and ask you to lift it again over and over'

I'd say no! Either you do the whole colour from now on or she finds someone else to do her highlights!

Yep, refuse the service. Its in your control who you chose to take on as a client. Tell her straight that she either stops using box dye or you wont go near her hair, cos as everyones said, inevitably if anything goes wrong you'll get the blame.

Thanks everyone, its all made a bit more difficult as its my sister-in-law but i'm in agreement, pay for the professional products or i'll not colour it anymore. now to tell her this!

Latest posts

Back