Colour correction query

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
A new client came to see me, very upset.
Natural base of 7 ish, 50% grey
She had a balayage and then golden pink direct dye about 6 months ago and was pleased.
Her grey has since increased a lot so her colourist recommended root regrowth bleach, and the entire length of the hair slightly lightened. Then again a rose gold type direct dye on top.

She’s come to me because there are some very dark sections, mainly underneath, where the bleach didn’t catch and she feels terribly self contious

So she needs her roots redoing
And she wants the darker patches to be corrected and this time a darker pink on top

The pink is vibrant (le reiche direcrions pink flamingo)

I’m wondering how you would go about it.

(I will use Olaplex and the integrity of the hair feels good)

so.....not sure why ive had 64 views and no reply...maybe i should say what im intending to do.....

so im gonna do the root regrowth as standard

my plan was to not try and strip the direct dye out.....
But instead, go through section by section, using 30vol 9% bleach in the darker areas (with Olaplex)
Then the plan is to go through it again, this time spray each section lightly, and use a 20vol 6% (with Olaplex) and lightly blend it into the sections with the high vol bleach on

Constently checking it as it processes
Adding more bleach to the darker ares if needed
washing out sections when done

WITH THE IDEA OF ACHIEVING A UNIFORM BASE.......

so.....not sure why ive had 64 views and no reply...maybe i should say what im intending to do.....

so im gonna do the root regrowth as standard

my plan was to not try and strip the direct dye out.....
But instead, go through section by section, using 30vol 9% bleach in the darker areas (with Olaplex)
Then the plan is to go through it again, this time spray each section lightly, and use a 20vol 6% (with Olaplex) and lightly blend it into the sections with the high vol bleach on

Constently checking it as it processes
Adding more bleach to the darker ares if needed
washing out sections when done

WITH THE IDEA OF ACHIEVING A UNIFORM BASE.......
Yes Sounds like you're on the right track. Target the darker sections first, then apply to the root once the banding has lifted at least 2-3levels. Then tone if necessary and then just go in with your direct dies.

i guess my main issue is......

i dont want to lift the darker hair on the mid sections.....and be left with the rosegold on the rest

i know the flamingo pink is much darker.....buti dont want the roots and lightened area to be brighter.....
hence going through the netire hair with a sprayed water 20vol bleach.....

i guess my main issue is......

i dont want to lift the darker hair on the mid sections.....and be left with the rosegold on the rest

i know the flamingo pink is much darker.....buti dont want the roots and lightened area to be brighter.....
hence going through the netire hair with a sprayed water 20vol bleach.....
Adding developer on top of a direct die will only make the colour brighter, it won't remove it. You'd be better off lightening the bits you need to, then apply the rose gold on the bits that you've lightened so you're then creating an even base before applying your formulas.

yes, exactly...it can sometimes lock it in more right!
yes, but i didnt do the rose gold....i would be stabbing in the dark to match it....its washed out and is a peachy coral colour now

I'm wondering whether i send her else where....and explain im just not confident i can make it a perfect base for the new colour

yes, exactly...it can sometimes lock it in more right!
yes, but i didnt do the rose gold....i would be stabbing in the dark to match it....its washed out and is a peachy coral colour now

I'm wondering whether i send her else where....and explain im just not confident i can make it a perfect base for the new colour
Do you know what brand colour was used?
You could try pulp riots colour remover, it's good at removing direct dies. If you do that first then bleach the darker bits, it'll be much easier to see where you're at. It's not going to be a cheap appointment for her.

Latest posts

Back